Nearly 300 contractors replaced with temporary foreign workers

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking as a born and raised Alberta worker, and not as a Mod for the site.

Get off of your lazy ass Union ways of thinking, and get **** done!!!!!

What's a union have to do with it? With the diversity of the population in the workforce yah have to be cautious how you manage getting **** done.
For crying out loud I know of a instance where a manager was directing his workers buy pointing to the person and using hand gestures directing how he wanted something done, foreigner told him that in his country that's is forbidden, I witnessed this myself!! I'm puzzled why we have to tiptoe around to get a job done anymore.
If this "right to work" legislation get passed here like it did in certain states could spell bad news for the Canadian blue collar worker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all I mean ALL gotta stand up and fight for our rights. We get pushed around by our Gov so bad its disgusting. The more Canada sits back and watches out Country get overtaken the worse its gunna get. It gets worse every single year. We live in Can BUT have NO say in it. It amazes me just how non existent our words are just or how overrun we all are in our own Country. NASTY PERIOD

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What? The feds and provincial governments destroying organized labour at the request of corporations has paved the way for this to happen with very little opposition.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna start studying Cantonese and Mandarin so when they take over at least I will be able to communicate and will be one step ahead of the rest of you phuckers.

F$%^ of a good plan Mike, then at least if we fake and bake, lose 150lbs we just may get a job back as well ;)

sledrat403

Reaction score

I wholeheartedly agree. It can't be cheap or quick to arrange temporary workers to come from across the planet for a short period of time. Insane cost inflation along with unreliable labour is what makes this sort of effort justified for a company. For example the real risk of construction crews walking off the job (eg on their first day) unless they get a raise happens all the time. Workers can receive high pay all day long so long as they do the job right and on time. When your contractors are unreliable the other costs of the project escalate because of delays and suddenly this little hourly wage issue becomes a multimillion dollar problem.

I believe everyone is entitled to fair pay and be rewarded for a job well done. Holding your employer hostage because you heard someone else was making more than you do is shooting yourself in the foot.

My point - it's in everyone's best interest to do the job right and efficiently. I really believe if this were to happen there would be no need for imported workers as there is (barely) enough skilled labour in our province to make things happen.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe everyone is entitled to fair pay and be rewarded for a job well done. Holding your employer hostage because you heard someone else was making more than you do is shooting yourself in the foot.

My point - it's in everyone's best interest to do the job right and efficiently. I really believe if this were to happen there would be no need for imported workers as there is (barely) enough skilled labour in our province to make things happen.

So why are you bashing organized work if you believe everyone is entitled to a fair wage???
I guess you do not have a problem with a company telling all its workers we are goin to drop your wages 10 bucks a hour or cut your hours, and get told if yah dont like it than we will get others who are used to working a far less wage than we are, in their own country.

Unions are no differant than any other business, If they are mismanaged than it will drive the company into the ground! Yes there are some really bad examples of poor union representation and bad choices made by the members, but if this practice keeps up I can see unions getting stronger with better contracts put in place before work begins.
I don't see why this thread became a union topic anyway when it about the goverment allowing this forign worker program to go on. My wife worked at tim hortons and had her hours cut because they had that stupid tempory worker program!! Timmies is not a union, nice of a canadian company to do that to a canadian who worked there for 6 yrs.

sledrat403

Reaction score
There are exceptions to every rule. In this case there is an arguement that Husky had a large project that was delayed and over budget because of the labour performance. Not because they were nickle and dimeing the unions. It would be like Tim Horton's staff showing up to work and demanding $40/hr and taking 2 hours to serve a coffee.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree. It can't be cheap or quick to arrange temporary workers to come from across the planet for a short period of time. Insane cost inflation along with unreliable labour is what makes this sort of effort justified for a company. For example the real risk of construction crews walking off the job (eg on their first day) unless they get a raise happens all the time. Workers can receive high pay all day long so long as they do the job right and on time. When your contractors are unreliable the other costs of the project escalate because of delays and suddenly this little hourly wage issue becomes a multimillion dollar problem.

It is cheap an easy, my company brings Yanks up all the time when we need extra manpower.
Going south not so much. I just finished up all the paperwork to go down to the US, cost the company 3K in lawyers fees and I have to pay another $830 at the border, I can still get turned around at the agents whim as well.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are exceptions to every rule. In this case there is an arguement that Husky had a large project that was delayed and over budget because of the labour performance. Not because they were nickle and dimeing the unions. It would be like Tim Horton's staff showing up to work and demanding $40/hr and taking 2 hours to serve a coffee.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Saipem Canada is the prime contractor for that project and contracted the 1ST phase of the project to Black and Macdonald. When a contract is signed the wages are set and so are deadlines. The 1st phase of the project is wrapping up so therefore the 2nd phase is going to a foreign company. Do you remember when CNRL had all the incidents on there horizen project, and how far behind that was?
So Canadians are out and a foreign company is in. I don't know about you but I worked my azz of to get my red seal ticket!!! do these foreign workers have one?
I believe I should be compinsated fairly to use that ticket, but in turn i also try to give 100% every day at work in return for that fair compensation, wether the company Im employed with is unionized or not.

LOL im not sure what they pay at timmies now, but they do take awhile some days to make a coffee.:d

Last edited:

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do we do something about this? there has to be a phone # or a web site we can start to complain about this and get something done

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The thing that scares me is that when I was in Cuba a few years ago the tour guide said that all these fields used to sugar cane fields, but since the cold war was over Russia didn't the sugar anymore. So the Cubans put the files to pasture. The guide explain how there economy worked, he said that Canadian tourism was how they made money, all products are bought from China, and China supplies them. What I am getting at is that if we sell all our resources to communist country, they in turn will support their partners and they could stave us out of our own country. This letting foreign countries to buy our resources has to stop, why don't we sell them the product, protect our resources and make money for our country.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The thing that scares me is that when I was in Cuba a few years ago the tour guide said that all these fields used to sugar cane fields, but since the cold war was over Russia didn't the sugar anymore. So the Cubans put the files to pasture. The guide explain how there economy worked, he said that Canadian tourism was how they made money, all products are bought from China, and China supplies them. What I am getting at is that if we sell all our resources to communist country, they in turn will support their partners and they could stave us out of our own country. This letting foreign countries to buy our resources has to stop, why don't we sell them the product, protect our resources and make money for our country.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk
Of course if the US lifted their retarded ban on trade with Cuba, then they would be able to sell their sugar in the States and buy goods from the States (65 miles away) instead of being forced to trade with China.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why are you bashing organized work if you believe everyone is entitled to a fair wage???
I guess you do not have a problem with a company telling all its workers we are goin to drop your wages 10 bucks a hour or cut your hours, and get told if yah dont like it than we will get others who are used to working a far less wage than we are, in their own country.

Unions are no differant than any other business, If they are mismanaged than it will drive the company into the ground! Yes there are some really bad examples of poor union representation and bad choices made by the members, but if this practice keeps up I can see unions getting stronger with better contracts put in place before work begins.
I don't see why this thread became a union topic anyway when it about the goverment allowing this forign worker program to go on. My wife worked at tim hortons and had her hours cut because they had that stupid tempory worker program!! Timmies is not a union, nice of a canadian company to do that to a canadian who worked there for 6 yrs.
tim hortons is no longer a Canadian company. Owned by Wendy's.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not seen anything about this in the media? Why hasn't any of the 270 contacted the media. It was a field day when the Royal Bank did this. What about a lawsuit? Seems to be on the side of the displaced mine workers in BC. Surprised I have not seen anything stated publicly. Pretty sure the general public would scream bloody murder if they found out.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not seen anything about this in the media? Why hasn't any of the 270 contacted the media. It was a field day when the Royal Bank did this. What about a lawsuit? Seems to be on the side of the displaced mine workers in BC. Surprised I have not seen anything stated publicly. Pretty sure the general public would scream bloody murder if they found out.

The media in this country are nothing but a joke. They have boycotted the Prime Ministers speech from the Throne. Instead they attended an NDP meeting. Really? The media who are supposed to be unbiased and provide Canadians with news about our Prime Ministers intentions. Getting weird around here.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Media Party (as Sun News correctly calls the other media) boycotted the Tory Caucus address, not the speech from the Throne. The Causus address is technically closed doors anyways, but in the past the parties have been allowing media in to take pictures and video only. There is no open question time. Last year some reporters started shouting questions, so this year the Tory bosses said, no reporters, but cameramen are allowed. The Media Party didn't like this.

Top Bottom