Near-Miss Avalanche Video Feb 2016

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another open face hill......

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Landogriffin, glad you are safe! Definitely a scary moment and good lessons for us all on the avy hazard of open rock faces. Thanks for sharing!

landogriffin

Reaction score
Haha, Definitely not me, no idea of the location or rider. I just saw it posted on another FB group YYC Backcounty from last weekend. Probably not the best decision making regarding the snow conditions, slope angle, wind loading, recent events etc.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
video made top story on global bc news!

Yup. Apparently the guy sent it in to bring awareness???? Wtf your not showing awareness your making us look bad by showing yet another poor decision just with some luck this time. The last thing we need now is every slide that happens hitting the news

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Apparently the guy sent it in to bring awareness???? Wtf your not showing awareness your making us look bad by showing yet another poor decision just with some luck this time. The last thing we need now is every slide that happens hitting the news
100 %

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly...... Bring awareness?.
Demonstrating awareness would be someone posting a clip showing himself looking at a potential bad slope, evaluate it and take the less travelled route around it staying to the lowest angle of the slope and avoiding the terrain trap.
Any video showing someone setting off a slide or being caught in a slide would be demonstrating a LACK of awareness!

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this was in Bullmoose I believe near Tumbler Ridge.....social media and everybody posting every video of every thing they do is going to kill the backcountry, people start using some discretion in what you post for all to see....clearly there were some very bad choices made making all sledders look bad and maybe these videos need to be given to avy trainers not youtube....just a thought

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teaching the Berenstain Bears way, what not to do! On his FB page there are other clips of him hitting that slope. Looks like he just keep pounding it until it went. Darwin award candidate.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like I've always said everyone takes the course, buys all proper the equipment, mounts a Gopro to catch the action. And if he rider happens to catch some good footage, they're are a internet sensation. Sadly though if you have to deploy your avy backpack, you just admitted guilt to not learning anything on your AST 1 course. Just my observations.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like I've always said everyone takes the course, buys all proper the equipment, mounts a Gopro to catch the action. And if he rider happens to catch some good footage, they're are a internet sensation. Sadly though if you have to deploy your avy backpack, you just admitted guilt to not learning anything on your AST 1 course. Just my observations.

I personally think that the ast1 course is just an introduction to how to use the gear. This is giving people false confidence in knowing what they're doing out there.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't feel you need to dig a pit everywhere you ride. Common sense can be a big contributor on how your day ends. There are red flags that most people refuse to comprehend because that big white face is just to tempting to resist. Sometimes you beat the odds but usually in life when you play with the bull over and over you will sooner than later get the horns.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I personally don't feel you need to dig a pit everywhere you ride. Common sense can be a big contributor on how your day ends. There are red flags that most people refuse to comprehend because that big white face is just to tempting to resist. Sometimes you beat the odds but usually in life when you play with the bull over and over you will sooner than later get the horns.

So very true Ken. How many videos do we see where guys are riding along side of or over top of smaller debris piles. The debris pile is the first clue; something is sliding and unstable. The open faces with the rocks showing (definite weak points in the snow pack) and one could go on and on. Some people just don't get it.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So very true Ken. How many videos do we see where guys are riding along side of or over top of smaller debris piles. The debris pile is the first clue; something is sliding and unstable. The open faces with the rocks showing (definite weak points in the snow pack) and one could go on and on. Some people just don't get it.
You're referring to things that you have learnt over your time being in Avalanche terrain. You cannot refer to these things as common sense. Your list goes on and on, but people just don't get it. Is because they haven't been taught these things. The average person doesn't know that your open face hills with rocks showing are weak points in the snow pack. You refer to debris piles, lots of people would say common sense says "this already slid, I'm safe it won't slide again." They're not putting together that these are red flags. I agree you don't have to dig a pit everywhere you go. But a lot of people get done there AST1 course, with the conference that if a slide would occur I can get my buddy out. This is true you should have a pretty good idea by this time to use your equipment. The problem is, no one has taught them how to get from point A to point B without getting caught in one, Or getting your whole group caught in one. Most of these courses are made from a ski background, not snowmobiles. Sleds cover a vast area and quickly. I think they should concentrate more on managing terrain, and traveling it.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're referring to things that you have learnt over your time being in Avalanche terrain. You cannot refer to these things as common sense. Your list goes on and on, but people just don't get it. Is because they haven't been taught these things. The average person doesn't know that your open face hills with rocks showing are weak points in the snow pack. You refer to debris piles, lots of people would say common sense says "this already slid, I'm safe it won't slide again." They're not putting together that these are red flags. I agree you don't have to dig a pit everywhere you go. But a lot of people get done there AST1 course, with the conference that if a slide would occur I can get my buddy out. This is true you should have a pretty good idea by this time to use your equipment. The problem is, no one has taught them how to get from point A to point B without getting caught in one, Or getting your whole group caught in one. Most of these courses are made from a ski background, not snowmobiles. Sleds cover a vast area and quickly. I think they should concentrate more on managing terrain, and traveling it.
If people are inexperienced they should have enough common sense to realize they don't know what they are doing and make ultra conservative terrain decisions. Maybe I am not the norm but I came out of AST1 not confident that I could rescue my buddy but positive that I don't ever want to have to. It also highlighted how little I know and understand about snowpack and terrain features in the backcountry so I continue to make conservative choices when out there.

Top Bottom