Natives Threaten Hunter at Gun Point

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was copied from a hunting forum I recently joined. I don't have answers to any questions other then yes it has been reported. Just trying to shed some light to what is actually going on out there. Not a gun control issue but more a social issue that could have had a much different outcome.

A fellow that works with my older brother was bear hunting in the Lilooet River Valley with his 16 year old son over the long weekend,

Saturday morning the son shot a nice Black Bear, so after loading it in the truck the father thought it was best to empty his spare gas can into the truck so they didn't have any fuel in the back with the bear, so he was emptying the gas into the truck when a black Ford truck pulls up and 2 of the 3 guys get out of the truck and ones carrying a rifle walk up and points the rifle at his chest and asks what they're doing there, he says bear hunting and my son shot a bear,

the Native fellow with the gun says there's no Bear hunting here and you need a permit from us to hunt here, well we both have hunting licences and bear tags and my son punched his tag, so he demands to see his tag so they give it to him while at gunpoint ?

He takes the tag and shows it to the guy in the truck as he says he can't read !

the fellow was really scared as he was worried they were going to hurt his son so got his tag back and they left as quick as they could, packed up they're camp and headed home.

After hearing this I pleaded with my brother to have the fellow report this to the police and CO,
which he is doing today.
As soon as I get the licence number and a more accurate description of the truck I will post it up.

This is getting stupid !

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Liloeet is some back woods territory! Could see that happening. Be a scary situation!

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I woulda pointed my gun back and said how about getting a job cause I'm sick of supporting yous

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many shoulda coulda woulda but in actual fact with his son present probably did the right thing. I have been harassed lots while fishing and always stand my ground to "them" especially in front of my kids. I'm trying to teach them that bully's can be easily deterred when you stand your ground. Also showing them that there are no free hand outs. That being said I have never had a gun pulled on me and can say for certain I would definitely act one way with my kids present and a different way solo

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There seems to be quite a bit missing from the story.

First I want to say the person did act correctly. If someone already has a gun pointed at your chest you have no options other than talk.

This definitely must be reported as threatening someone with a firearm (loaded or not) is a criminal code violation. Also he (the hunter) may have unintentionally on or beside a reserve which would likely have pissed anyone off. Not excusing the violation but reacting without any facts seems pointless.

This was copied from a hunting forum I recently joined. I don't have answers to any questions other then yes it has been reported. Just trying to shed some light to what is actually going on out there. Not a gun control issue but more a social issue that could have had a much different outcome.

A fellow that works with my older brother was bear hunting in the Lilooet River Valley with his 16 year old son over the long weekend,

Saturday morning the son shot a nice Black Bear, so after loading it in the truck the father thought it was best to empty his spare gas can into the truck so they didn't have any fuel in the back with the bear, so he was emptying the gas into the truck when a black Ford truck pulls up and 2 of the 3 guys get out of the truck and ones carrying a rifle walk up and points the rifle at his chest and asks what they're doing there, he says bear hunting and my son shot a bear,

the Native fellow with the gun says there's no Bear hunting here and you need a permit from us to hunt here, well we both have hunting licences and bear tags and my son punched his tag, so he demands to see his tag so they give it to him while at gunpoint ?

He takes the tag and shows it to the guy in the truck as he says he can't read !

the fellow was really scared as he was worried they were going to hurt his son so got his tag back and they left as quick as they could, packed up they're camp and headed home.

After hearing this I pleaded with my brother to have the fellow report this to the police and CO,
which he is doing today.
As soon as I get the licence number and a more accurate description of the truck I will post it up.

This is getting stupid !

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There seems to be quite a bit missing from the story.

First I want to say the person did act correctly. If someone already has a gun pointed at your chest you have no options other than talk.

This definitely must be reported as threatening someone with a firearm (loaded or not) is a criminal code violation. Also he (the hunter) may have unintentionally on or beside a reserve which would likely have pissed anyone off. Not excusing the violation but reacting without any facts seems pointless.

Sorry that's the only part of the story I have, other then it has been reported. I know the reservation plays by a different set of rules but to me pointing a gun at someone's you already out number 3 to 2 seems harsh. Your right though many facts missing

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't mean to diss the post but some of the reaction seems a little much given it is a third hand account that seems a little peculiar. I mean why would the guy hesitate to report being threatened at gunpoint? That seems odd which is not to say it didn't happen.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't mean to diss the post but some of the reaction seems a little much given it is a third hand account that seems a little peculiar. I mean why would the guy hesitate to report being threatened at gunpoint? That seems odd which is not to say it didn't happen.

I've been shot at by natives.. true story. They wanted gas I had diesel. Good ol Red Earth

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree sounds a little fishy. But even if they were trespassing threatening an individual with a firearm is still against the criminal code.

If I'm not allowed to legally defend my property with a firearm neither are they.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove through 99 this may long twice. They have signs that say you are now entering band nation or something like that, but there is not any private property no trespassing signs I saw.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove through 99 this may long twice. They have signs that say you are now entering band nation or something like that, but there is not any private property no trespassing signs I saw.

Because it's not reservation it's just them self claiming the land. Imagine what would happen if you did that

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Awesome drive through there isn't it!

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome drive through there isn't it!
Ya it was def a beautiful drive. I was kind of just flying through on my way to pg/Vancouver. But from what saw it was really nice lol.

There is some gnarly switchbacks along that Hwy that sort of caught me by surprise

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it was def a beautiful drive. I was kind of just flying through on my way to pg/Vancouver. But from what saw it was really nice lol.

There is some gnarly switchbacks along that Hwy that sort of caught me by surprise

Going under that bridge is weird. I like the country around there. Never met the locals so not sure if it's a nice place to live

Top Bottom