MSRP +/- on New Diesels

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a deal lined up on a 2022 Ram 3500 Limited Longhorn. Out the door including dealer fees, PDI, and GST is at MSRP plus 3 percent. Out the door.

I’ve countered to close at MSRP minus 4 percent. Betting we meet somewhere in the middle.

Wondering what other guys are seeing in this shifting marketplace. I’m having a really tough time deciding when the time to buy in here is.

Don’t want used and don’t want a lower model trim then limited or equivalent. Interested what others are seeing.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DC2F3F82-CAA1-496D-8B05-85D6C60762F7.jpeg
B1D8D1FA-6417-4AA2-BF54-1DF09C1BA2BE.jpeg

Bought this in September. Paid $76995. Had 1600 kms. Has everything I need to get to work. Pretty plain but for the price of trucks now a days I just couldn’t justify the added expenses of a full load truck.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a deal lined up on a 2022 Ram 3500 Limited Longhorn. Out the door including dealer fees, PDI, and GST is at MSRP plus 3 percent. Out the door.

I’ve countered to close at MSRP minus 4 percent. Betting we meet somewhere in the middle.

Wondering what other guys are seeing in this shifting marketplace. I’m having a really tough time deciding when the time to buy in here is.

Don’t want used and don’t want a lower model trim then limited or equivalent. Interested what others are seeing.
I gave up back in the spring, was not participating in the I'm stupid too truck buying insanity. I've not paid any attention since, I have been focused on real estate, RV & the SxS market from March of this year. Real estate has stopped & pricing has decreased 15-20%. RV inventories are high & production cuts are happening, Just purchased a new in stock 2022 Defender HD10 under MSRP.

I'm sure the truck market is following & inventory is starting to build. This downward cycle has just begun & typically it lasts 8-10 years. We have many new factors involved with this one so it is a strange crystal ball to guess where it is headed.

Myself I'm planning to order 2024 3500 HD as it is the refreshed model. I expect that dealers & manufacture's should be in damage control by then & hopefully some sanity.

You have made a fair & reasonable offer on the 2022, if they don't like it I don't think you will have to wait very long for them to change their minds.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gm is already cut back I would say. They only give out so many allotments of trucks and suvs to dealers each week across the network. Gm decides what they give out dealer can’t just put in order for what they/ customer wants. This limiting inventory and keeping prices high. Majority of vehicles have all components installed functioning now. They found a way manipulate market and keep from giving deals excess stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
vernon bannister gm must a dozen or more used duramaxs on the lot
and 6 new ones as well
i think the prices will start to slide a bit as well

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, the manufacturers have learned how to control the supply chain. A friend who has been swapping fords every year said the dealer told him the MSRP on the Platinum next year will be $127k. That’s my biggest fear if you keep waiting is you’ll be negotiating down from $110k instead of $100k for example. Add in inflation and the CDN dollar and the current window might be smaller then one thinks.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a new duramax, but it looks pretty boring lol

I dont think prices are coming down a bunch. Gm says they are going all 0 emissions in 12 years. Wtf that means..

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check what other dealers have to and fry get them to beat that price. I think the full MSRP days are over for dealers. They actually have to try sell trucks again and do their job.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have anything to trade in? Trades have be the real value when negotiating over the last few years. Dealer I have worked with said in the spring that he felt November of this year would be the start of the change. Whatever he meant by that...didn't ask.

pommie_git

Reaction score
Yup, the manufacturers have learned how to control the supply chain. A friend who has been swapping fords every year said the dealer told him the MSRP on the Platinum next year will be $127k. That’s my biggest fear if you keep waiting is you’ll be negotiating down from $110k instead of $100k for example. Add in inflation and the CDN dollar and the current window might be smaller then one thinks.
Nautique, Malibu, Mastercraft figured this out after the 2008 crash left them with thousands of boats sitting at dealers all over N.America.

Since then they’ve controlled supply, gone high end only, increased mrsp every year.

The truck equivalent would be building base model trucks only for their corporate buyers and leaving retail with only the limited and platinums which will come with shiny new tech and an increasing price every model year

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check what other dealers have to and fry get them to beat that price. I think the full MSRP days are over for dealers. They actually have to try sell trucks again and do their job.
The problem is there is very few Aisin transmission models (gives you the torque upgrade) and less then 5 longhorns.

I’m betting I could get 9% off msrp if I took the standard transmission and limited. That’s part of the reason why I’m holding my ground with them. There are PLENTY of other trucks to buy similar to this one (like 400+ on the ram website).

Colors and a torque upgrade aren’t worth $15k to me lol

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nautique, Malibu, Mastercraft figured this out after the 2008 crash left them with thousands of boats sitting at dealers all over N.America.

Since then they’ve controlled supply, gone high end only, increased mrsp every year.

The truck equivalent would be building base model trucks only for their corporate buyers and leaving retail with only the limited and platinums which will come with shiny new tech and an increasing price every model year
Oh trust me I know this. My 2008 Mastercraft x-2 is worth more than retail from 2008 thanks to Covid. Picked it up in 2017 and can sell it for more then I paid. Crazy.

The problem is then you have to buy another one for what….

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That works in a niche seasonal market like boats (works for sleds too as we're seeing), won't work in a macro market like vehicles though. Interest rates are up and RE is down which signals the end of paper millionaires riding high on HELOCS and 7 year financing terms. Prices will come out of the stratosphere over the next 12-18 months. There will be more pressure from the used market as folks can't keep making the payments on a $100k pickups at 8%.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuppes ^^^

Bet 10 to 1 that lots of hardly used $100 k units end up in the market...

They will ask for top dollar but they won't sell in a depressed economy...

This reminds me of the 1979/ 80 crunch...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That works in a niche seasonal market like boats (works for sleds too as we're seeing), won't work in a macro market like vehicles though. Interest rates are up and RE is down which signals the end of paper millionaires riding high on HELOCS and 7 year financing terms. Prices will come out of the stratosphere over the next 12-18 months. There will be more pressure from the used market as folks can't keep making the payments on a $100k pickups at 8%.

It'll take a bit as interest rates are fixed for virtually all vehicle purchases unless you buy under like a HELOC. But I do agree they will come down a ton next year as demand will dry up.

pommie_git

Reaction score
You might be right, but full-size trucks are sort-of a niche product.
Competition from overseas should keep prices on cars under control but if Ford/Dodge/Chev get into cahoots on limiting supply of trucks, who’s going to disrupt them?

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might be right, but full-size trucks are sort-of a niche product.
Competition from overseas should keep prices on cars under control but if Ford/Dodge/Chev get into cahoots on limiting supply of trucks, who’s going to disrupt them?
Rivian 😂😂😂😂😂😂

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer has come back at MSRP out the door. This includes tax, all fees, mud flaps, PDI etc. also including two oil changes and two tanks of diesel. It’s $1500 more then what I set as my walk away. GM also said MSRP’s for 2023 coming in 12-15% higher which is now the second manufacturer I’ve heard of saying this (other was Ford)

Pull the trigger?

Top Bottom