Mountain Riding at night

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no negativity, im just voicing my opinion and letting you know its stupidity. I have a frankensled head light and ive had a couple close calls where ive had to ride back in pitch black and i can tell say sure it helps get back to the truck but it wouldn't be a solution to actually riding at night unless you doing about 10km/h. But hey, your prepared.. more power to you.
So what you do not like is just stupidity and what you do like is what everyone should do,,,, you kinda sound like a J.T. fan

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what you do not like is just stupidity and what you do like is what everyone should do,,,, you kinda sound like a J.T. fan

It has nothing to do with me not liking it. If it was viable i would probably do it as well. whats the first thing you are taught when you take an AST course? know the terrain and the snow pack your riding on. What happens when you remove sunlight as a variable? you loose the ability to know the snow your riding on. This is a recipe for disaster, that's why its stupidity. BUT i wouldn't expect you to know that because your probably one of those cabin racers without AST training you boys were talking about earlier. Justin Timberlake had some catchy tunes back in his day. :beer:

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with me not liking it. If it was viable i would probably do it as well. whats the first thing you are taught when you take an AST course? know the terrain and the snow pack your riding on. What happens when you remove sunlight as a variable? you loose the ability to know the snow your riding on. This is a recipe for disaster, that's why its stupidity. BUT i wouldn't expect you to know that because your probably one of those cabin racers without AST training you boys were talking about earlier. Justin Timberlake had some catchy tunes back in his day. :beer:
LOL
J.T = our wonderful prime minister
I have AST, wilderness search and rescue, first responder ,,,, you?
You can just as easily check snow pack and conditions at night?
If you don't like it fine,,, fewer people on the hill.:cool:

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not here to bash but I honestly didn't even know mountain riding at night was a thing! I assumed it was completely off limits. It is for me for sure. I definitely don't have the confidence in my skills on many levels of mountain riding. Riding ability, navigation skills etc. Hell I don't even enjoy riding at home on the flats in the dark anymore. Too many bad experiences.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been out at night a few times good helmet like light Frankensled or equivalent is mandatory, the climbing style don't cut it. Best advice I have is do it in a very familiar area so you have an idea of the risks above and below the snow and can route find easily if conditions change. If it's hammering snow the helmet lights just create a whiteout condition and you need to rely on the headlights. It's fun once in awhile but won't replace day riding for me any time soon.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding up to anything more then the cabin to await sunrise to me is the purest form of stupidity. And to top is off when something happens, eventually it will taking risks like this.They shut that riding area down to the rest of the people that drove a minimum of 3 or 4 hours to get away and ride their machines. Please do not ruin it for the rest of

Wow, going on a night ride is going to shut the area down eh?
Sounds to me like you are a dooms day kinda guy. What if this and what if that.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever been to the mountains sledding and if so were any of the days socked in ?

Been night riding once twice a year for we'll over 10 years in mountains.
Low angle and REALLY know the area.
Do Lucille every family day weekend up past cabin to bald spot on top.
10-15 of us if it's a nice night.
Peaks look awesome in moonlight.
Couple shots and down to the hot tub.
That's partly why we stay at Cougars den since 2009ish.

Exploring new area would be suicide.

Every boxing day at the farm we leave at 10PM and get home about 2-3AM. Depends how long we sit around fire weather permitting.
No issue riding at night, just use yer brain........well that is an issue for some.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ridden out of the alpine at night because of digging someone out, or repairs kept us on the hill late. Although the sights are great on a clear night, I wouldn't go out of my way to ride in the alpine at night as the risk factor just went up tenfold, suppose it makes a heck of a difference if you KNOW the area well. Then again, riding on a totally socked in day isn't too bright, either when unfamiliar with the area... This is only my opinion, doesn't make it wrong or right.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has been so socked in, I could hardly see my ski tips.... deadly. I would ride at night but you have to be awake to do it.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_3448.jpg Revy 12-10 044.jpg Revy 12-10 053.jpg IMG_2601.jpg
The night time is the right time
Can't be afraid of the dark though
And its the best time to do those questionable drops through the trees
The only sh*tty thing is most restaurants are closed by time you get back to town, its either pizza or Dennys

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great pictures !
Looks like a good time was had!
I agree with you
You should get yourself a slowcooker, hot food back at the room is a wonderful thing. especially when you get down at 5 in the morning!lol

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread reminds me.......gotta do some night rides on the mountain this winter. Haven't for a few years. Really miss them. :D

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually have all intensions of coming back before dark but it's the short cuts one takes and end up in a pickle then lose half the group LOL

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to see that there are many who enjoy it and i am not crazy to have had a good time like i did. Obviously its not for everyone but for those who enjoy it and can do is safely its good to keep the ideas flowing that you have come up with from riding at night.

Ive always wondered what i should leave in my truck so that if someone is curious why there is a truck still there so late they dont call s&R. If you leave a note you leave an opening for a thief that your gone till late and no one else around since the lots empty. Any ideas.

For those who ride, do you have a favorite night riding area or type of riding?

What light systems do you use?

What is discussed with the group for keeping an eye on one another. Does one play while the other watches so its easy where and if something goes wrong?

Keep the discussion going.... cheers

Top Bottom