motors

polarsledhead

Reaction score
i was looking at a union bay motor but now im looking at a Genesis Polaris 890 motor but im looking for a powerfull motor for under $5000

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For 5K you could probably get into a 1200 Watercraft, lay the hurt on the big twins all day.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would i have to mod the motor to fit the chassis

Yes, you will need a bunch of custom pieces if you are building a watercraft motor and you will not be much under $4000 by the time you are done unless you can find one already assembled for cheap.

I would buy birdman's 900, it is a clean looking motor for the right price, looks like it comes with all the right peices as well.

I kinda get the feeling you're not really sure what you're looking for - what do you mean by "a powerful motor"?? 100 HP, 2000 HP? Keep in mind that what people "claim" their motor makes and what it actually makes in real life are two different #'s. Lots of people hype their junk up and then it ends up being a big disappointment.

What sled and chassis is this going into and what track length and what type of riding? These need to be considered before buying a motor. For example you can buy a race motor that makes good power but does so at high RPM and is not really rideable for boondocking because it's too high strung. Or if you ride a big elevation difference, a tweaky motor will be tough to keep in tune and you will always be jetting it to make it run right, instead of riding. These are just some examples, but your riding style and area need to be considered before buying.

PSI is out of business so running a Genesis 890 will be tough to find parts for, and the PSI motors were plagued with issues from Day 1, mainly from their poor development.

Hope that helps.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
STAY AWAY from PSI!!! The Unionbay 900 and Struthers 910 are good motors, parts are still available and so is technical support. Watercraft motors are beasts, tons of torque. Most of the aftermarket motors I've seen forsale are mainly thru Snowest and at a reasonable prices. There was a brand new Unionbay 1365 in the US a guy was asking i think 7 grand. Depending how hungry he is you may be able to get close to your number. And Modmans right the 900 bidman's got may be a good option and it's local. Do your homework and find one thats been built by a proven engine builder and make sure the guy your buying it from has a proven setup. Don't just go buy someone elses junk!

polarsledhead

Reaction score
by powerful i mean 180- 230 hp the chassis is going to be made from a van amberg 153" tunnel timber sled skid 153 ac track and im trying to find a older polaris gen 2 for a blukhead but dad says we are not starting the mod sled till the shop is done well the shop is 3/4 done so im starting to search up the parts.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by powerful i mean 180- 230 hp the chassis is going to be made from a van amberg 153" tunnel timber sled skid 153 ac track and im trying to find a older polaris gen 2 for a blukhead but dad says we are not starting the mod sled till the shop is done well the shop is 3/4 done so im starting to search up the parts.

How much do you know about tuning? typically mod motors take more tuning than your average sled, expect to tweak it at least every ride.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teds 1160 got spanked by a 900 Crankshop. My 1160 will spank a 900 Crankshop. Tell me who ported my motor.

will or did? every dog has its day. or was that on the day his 1160 blew up for the umpteen time? kind of funny how the ones that came from engine tech ran like a piped 800 and the ones he ported ran way they were suppost to. dont worry kev ive heard the stories to. ive even heard some about your sled to.

Top Bottom