Momma needs a wolf

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok.. so those of you who will say.. "It's too soon" shhhhhhhhhh. For those of you who think " Wolves are not a good pet for a family".. shhhhhhhhh

The complete and utter love of my fur baby mom life died recently and I'm not doing very well. He was everything a pet could be for someone like me. I'm not new to owning wolves. He's not my first. But when he died it was so tragic and unexpected, I honestly can't just .. "let time heal all wounds".
Most peeps know we live way way way out in the boonies.. where you think the boonie line may lay.. I live past that. When we moved to this property, I was so happy Koda could finally be a wolf. It is 100 acres surrounded by crown land. We laughed at how happy and wolfy he was becoming. His humor, and strength was shining through.
His every breath was devoted to me. I was the center of his universe. House training was not a training exercise at all. With him it was like.. "OHHHHH you want me to pee outside.. gotchya momma.. I love you".. and that was that.. anything I asked of him was just that easy.
Every single day of his life.. he knew he was special and my love. Our hearts were just joined.
He didn't warm up to other people well. My kids, he would give his life for. Any other adult.. he was cautious. Well behaved, but cautious.

Owning a wolf isn't for everyone. I spent years as an animal Trainer, groomer, and small animal nutritionist. They are unique, but for me, exactly suited for my personality.

I need a wolf pup. Time isn't healing me.. not even close. There is a hole in my heart that I can't even explain. I don't expect the new pup to replace Koda.. but I do know it will "get" me.. and we'll have a long lasting love.

If you know of a breeder, please let me know. I only want a wolf x. ( I have 4 other dogs.. well 3.5 the chihuahua is only a .5 even though she thinks she is strong like ox.) I only want a male, and I would like to know the lineage of the parents.

Thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me.
Here are some pics of My Koda.

Attachments

• Koda and me 3.jpg
    Koda and me 3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 711
  • Koda and me 4.jpg
    Koda and me 4.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 714
  • Koda and me.jpg
    Koda and me.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 722
Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a tough thing to lose a pet like that. Hopefully you find a pup soon to replace him.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Momma that just brought a teir to my eye, i love dogs to and i hope you find your pup

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear that pets are such a big part of familys

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanted a wolf but i dont know how you would get a real wolf maybe a rescue one thats been hand reared but you can get wolfdogs which is malamute and wolf hybrid with high amount of wolf they have them in usa but not sure about canada.

extremely high content british columbian black/phase pups

Thank you John. Koda was a Malamute, Timberwolf/Arctic Wolf Cross. His Mom was higher content than the dad, the dad was a Malamute with a bit of wolf.

I don't want a super high content wolf.. a fuzzy guy would be awesome. In my experience, training, and owning, the females were a bit more aggressive than the males. Misha Aka Meaty.. was freakin Hilarious.. Ask my husband how easy it was to join our family.. She tried to freak him out on purpose..

It was funny.. If I wiggled my fingers.. she'd go into full wolf mode. lol..

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking into breeders in the states.. HOLY SMOKES..
Koda was from a family Breeder.. They weren't asking an astronomical amount for these guys. I'm trying to find her again.. she's moved.. perhaps she'll have another litter.
It would be nice to have one from a different lineage though so I wouldn't compare.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy that has one. His has quite a bit of wolf in him.
Very smart and good dog.
Once and a while tho u have to remind who's top dog.

His ex has shadow. He's I'd say 4-5 years. Gets along good with other dogs.

Loves to try to get chippy in trees or even seen him chase deer.

Not sure he was trying to find a home for him.
We have a acreage and he loves it here.
But we are not home enough for a big dog - cows - horses ect that u can't leave by them selves for long.

I'll ask him what's up.

If Ur interested.

sent from my htc

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you!
Misha my first one was a rescue.. it was harder with her.. she had bad habits.. and from being chained up for long periods of time every tooth was chipped in her mouth. She was actually confiscated 2 times, by the time our family got her. I'd love a puppy. I still have it in me to get up every few hours to let a pup out for a pee, and I love the thought of being there from day one. Koda was freakin hilarious.. we laughed at him being the "Big bad wolf".. he cuddled up with the cats.. He did once break into the neighbors chicken coop.. only to lay down and chill with the chickens running around him. He wasn't a super dominant guy.. big fat fraidy cat.. but if a stranger came up.. he'd get all wolfy and put on a great big show. His humor.. that is what I miss so much.
At bet time he always slept beside my side of the bed. My husband usually called him up into our bed for night time snuggles. He'd get as close to me as possible, then let Kev pet and cuddle him. It was so funny. Kev would get so frustrated trying to be the "favorite".
After night time snuggles, all Kev would do was turn the light off, Koda would instantly go on the floor beside my side of the bed. Just easy.

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful looking dog. I hope you have luck finding another to fill the void.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My heart goes out to ya T....I still miss my favorite little buddy we had to put down just over a year ago. I don't have any connections in the dog breeder world, but I'll keep my eyes open. Be strong!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Momma,

I definitely converse with a lot of people in the dog community, I'll see if I can find out if there are any 'reputable', trustworthy, wolfdog breeders around. I'm in a raw feeding group and I believe there are wolfdog owners in there. Unfortunately many are in the US.

Are you looking for a particular content? Your Koda appears to be very very low content wolf. Its good you're aiming to go through a reputable breeder, as ayone can breed a GSD, Mal, and husky together and call it a wolf to sell for a high price when in fact it has zero wolf. With that said, unfortunately there are TONS of 'breeders' out there doing the exact same thing and claiming their dogs have wolf in them, when in fact they don't, its just a marketing ploy. In many places it is illegal to own wolves, so trying to find actual breeders with high content wolves is nearly impossible. I'm pretty sure they require certain liscences, etc. But I'm not 0 certain on that one.

Here are some pictures from people I've met through raw feeding groups and dog forums of their higher content wolfdogs. They're beautiful animals.

Wish you the very best of luck of finding your new pup!

Attachments

• Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Chase%20%282%29.jpg
    Chase%20%282%29.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 251
  • ss-3.jpg
    ss-3.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
having had a couple of wolves in my life, I know what I'd like as far as lineage. Koda had a mix of Timber/Arctic wolf which gave him a more plush Coat. I like these guys. My bosses mom has a pup from the litter before him. He's much shorter hair and gangly. He has a brother that looks similar to him. I see him from time to time.

I have been around the "dog" industry since I was about 17. I am not amazed by the shady behavior of people when it comes to breeding practices. I know I will find my forever dude again. I'm completely open to how long or short it may take. Putting it out there, has given me a sense of peace.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately there is a lot of 'shady' breeding amongst all breeds, let alone wolfdogs. They're called BYB's.. :p

I am a member of a forum called dogforums.com, and like I mentioned there are some wolfdogs in there and also wolfdog scientists who study them. I must say they are definitely interesting animals, not to mention beautiful.

I myself one day dream of owning a Tamaskan. They are often mistaken as wolfdogs, and no doubt people who've managed to come across one have probably tried labelling them as wolfdogs, but they are not wolfdogs, despite they are strikingly similar. Since I would never personally own a wolfdog, even though I think they are wonderful creatures, the Tamaskan would be my choice for a wolfy type dog.

Google Image Result for http://www.tamaskan-dog.com/Galleries/jiekna&nuuk.jpg

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Sorry to hear this Trish. I had a conversation with my sister on this. She is an executive on the Edmonton kennel club and is a registered dog breeder for both Newfoundlanders and Clumber Spanials. She said the best breeders for dogs with actual wolf mixed in would be from Alaska or around Yellowknife. You would also don't want a 1/2 breed stick with 1/4 breed. Alot of people claim they have wolf in there breeds as they can charge alot more as there pups are rare but there is none. Research is worth it on the breeder. With the Internet there is alot of ways to research a breeder.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this Trish. I had a conversation with my sister on this. She is an executive on the Edmonton kennel club and is a registered dog breeder for both Newfoundlanders and Clumber Spanials. She said the best breeders for dogs with actual wolf mixed in would be from Alaska or around Yellowknife. You would also don't want a 1/2 breed stick with 1/4 breed. Alot of people claim they have wolf in there breeds as they can charge alot more as there pups are rare but there is none. Research is worth it on the breeder. With the Internet there is alot of ways to research a breeder.

Yup I totally agree. I have a line on some pups from the NWT right now. Spending money on DNA testing can really come in handy. I am amazed by how much people are charging for "wolf" dogs. I have seen many a shepherd cross trying to be passed off as wolfy. The lady in the area we got Koda from may be worth waiting for, but I'd so rather have one from a different breeder, so I can see the dog before me, not look for my Koda.
Thanks Ron!

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am really sorry for your loss Trish. It is so heart breaking to lose a special member of your family.

Robbin

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there was a breeder around sherwood park but not sure if they are still doing this but i will try find out ...

Top Bottom