Missing riders

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday's sled could sometimes get yha too the cabin,,, on a good day a person could go in further...

10 minutes on today's sled will take yha further then you can walk all night and day in snow shoes... Ha...

And everyone wondered why We packed snow shoes every where We road...

We packed them for 14 years and only needed them once...

1000's of wild cat areas and 190+ local spots threw out BC from Ft Nelson beyond to the 49th parallel...

Get out there and find lost ...

Good times for sure ...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iridium extreme sat phone has tracking, texting, push button sos and the ablity to talk which is huge in a real emergency situation imo. It uses the exact same network,does all the same stuff, plus you can talk...

It is stand alone, so you dont need to pair with a cell phone that probably wasnt made for extreme weather conditions.

Yes its more money, but you get what you pay for... and its phuk all for someone with a 2500$ speedometer.

Ill be the guy with the sat phone for my piece of mind, others in the group (that changes constantly from year to year) can buy what ever they want.

I have also used them for 20+ years in real emergency situations.
If norona was sponsored by irridium they would be the best option🤣

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Haha probably.

If you are just stuck with your buddies in the trees and you want to let the old lady know ur ok, then texting is probably all you need.

If your buddy just busted his femur after a failed back flip attempt in joss, I think the ability to talk is worth the phones weight in gold.

Thats just me, but what do i know...

2.jpg

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sat phone for me . $49/month , minimum package , maybe went over minutes twice , but worth it each time . It’s been a huge factor probably 8 or 9 times in last 25 ish years that our group , and others were very thankful for , plus many $$$$$ worth of peace of mind. Its been used winters and summers on riverboat , Atv, camping and travelling , by me and whoever i lent it to . Also allowed me to spend much more time out riding , boating or at sled camp as I could continue To handle work related issues.

PS, I’m not sponsored by GlobalStar 😎😎

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m interested what the new iPhone is capable of. I believe it has some kind of satellite communication for emergency. With the tracking apps available on the phones would be one less device to have. I’m not sure on how accurate the gps is but some of the apps seem pretty accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m interested what the new iPhone is capable of. I believe it has some kind of satellite communication for emergency. With the tracking apps available on the phones would be one less device to have. I’m not sure on how accurate the gps is but some of the apps seem pretty accurate

No cell coverage will be a thing of the past once Elon grows starlink. We will have iPhones operating off pure Satalite in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iridium extreme sat phone has tracking, texting, push button sos and the ablity to talk which is huge in a real emergency situation imo. It uses the exact same network,does all the same stuff, plus you can talk...

It is stand alone, so you dont need to pair with a cell phone that probably wasnt made for extreme weather conditions.

Yes its more money, but you get what you pay for... and its phuk all for someone with a 2500$ speedometer.

Ill be the guy with the sat phone for my piece of mind, others in the group (that changes constantly from year to year) can buy what ever they want.

I have also used them for 20+ years in real emergency situations.

My dad had two emergency calls in his sledding career. One was for him the other was for a person he was riding with. When we called for him we talked with the chopper company. They said since it’s only a broken arm they would not fly at dusk, soon to be dark to retrieve him. So we loaded him up on oxys and doubled him out When they used a sat communicator for a broken femur the poor fellow laid in the snow for 6 hours while trying to get rescue lined up. On the broken elbow we were willing to pay for the ride. The femur was a free ride. I’m 100% a sat phone guy.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad had two emergency calls in his sledding career. One was for him the other was for a person he was riding with. When we called for him we talked with the chopper company. They said since it’s only a broken arm they would not fly at dusk, soon to be dark to retrieve him. So we loaded him up on oxys and doubled him out When they used a sat communicator for a broken femur the poor fellow laid in the snow for 6 hours while trying to get rescue lined up. On the broken elbow we were willing to pay for the ride. The femur was a free ride. I’m 100% a sat phone guy.

If I had an emergency I would just call the local heli company and pay out of pocket. SAR takes at least an hour to respond and it could be dark by then. Always have the local heli co phone # or text only device there cell #

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
tell me the better option, I have all the best companies, that is why it is easy to talk about, in 35 years never needed to hype a company as they have all either produced the best or the one of the best, I choose my sponsors based off of this, that is the difference. Its like if you made your ultimate job, you might LOVE it, same thing really :)

Reactions: RXN

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com

Very important story, with either a sat phone or a sat communitcator you can do the exact same thing, 2 summers ago a bunch of buddies were off rode enndure from williams lake to squamish, one guy broke his knee and they needed help, all had forgoten their inreaches and my buddy had a sat phone, he got nothing from where they were then had to hike higher to get the call and called direct to blackcomb heli as they are mutal friends. Blackcomb could not understand them due to the call breaking up, blackcomb heli called me as they thought I might know where they are....sat phones are not all they are cracked up to be, if you don't get a constant connection they can miss 1/3 the words, that is why communicators are so good, you write it and then it needs one blip to go and full message comes in, I get chatting with someone is best case scenerio but if they dont hear all the words, then it can be worse. What your talking about here has nothung to do with sat phone or sat communicator, both would need the phone number of the heli company and both would need credit card info, and both sat phone and sat com can do this.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Sat phone for me . $49/month , minimum package , maybe went over minutes twice , but worth it each time . It’s been a huge factor probably 8 or 9 times in last 25 ish years that our group , and others were very thankful for , plus many $$$$$ worth of peace of mind. Its been used winters and summers on riverboat , Atv, camping and travelling , by me and whoever i lent it to . Also allowed me to spend much more time out riding , boating or at sled camp as I could continue To handle work related issues.

PS, I’m not sponsored by GlobalStar 😎😎
Yes but checking in is way faster and the biggest point of communication is putting those at home at ease, sat coms do this quicker and better. Sat phones are great but ones on global star suck, unfortunately, glad you have had good luck but anyone who uses these for life or death knows iridium is the superior sat system, until elon opens it all up and that will be awesome.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen various products work better or worse in many conditions. The most finaky for sure has been the Sat Phone. When they work they work but when they don't it sucks. My inreach has been pretty awesome, can be slow at times, couple minutes to send a msg, have heard many good things about the zoleo???? but no actual first hand experiance

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I guess we should have said iridium is the only sat phone to use. That global start network is trash. Certain times to call, then the call can only last as long as the satellite is visible. Iridium network is far superior. I’ve called for restaurant reservations on the north side mountains before.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess we should have said iridium is the only sat phone to use. That global start network is trash. Certain times to call, then the call can only last as long as the satellite is visible. Iridium network is far superior. I’ve called for restaurant reservations on the north side mountains before.

You can text with this one also. So it gives you options

Top Bottom