Ministik Bird sanctuary and Atvs

Ranarampage

Reaction score
Just wondering if you are allowed to use atvs on the ministik trails and if anyone has gone there for winter riding. Also wondering if you have to purchase a trail pass or anything like that
Thanks for the help guys!

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. There has to be a minimum of 6" snow before they allow sleds.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you allowed to atv there in summer
reement from t

No motorized access in the summer and certain conditions for winter use.
ATVs are allowed but we STRONGLY ask that you do not harm the groomed SNOWMOBILE trails.
Tri County Snowmobile Club operates the trails in the area. The Ministik game Bird Advisory Committee makes the rules as per the agreement from the 80s
The ASA was the only motorized group willing to keep the area open for motorized recreation. The AOHVA bailed from the process when they were not given summer access. The snowmobile club is responsible for all winter motorized access but has no control of ATV use. We ask all ATVers to appreciate their access to this area and respect the snowmobile trails. Please do not rut up the trails or do donuts in the trails. Safety issues and the cost to maintain these trails are very expensive.
The ASA trail pass system does not allow for ATVs to purchase Trail Passes. If you want to contribute to help the trails donate some money or time to help with the trails give to the Tri County Snowmobile club rep out there working on the trails.
Hope this gives you some history and info on the area.

Ranarampage

Reaction score
reement from t

No motorized access in the summer and certain conditions for winter use.
ATVs are allowed but we STRONGLY ask that you do not harm the groomed SNOWMOBILE trails.
Tri County Snowmobile Club operates the trails in the area. The Ministik game Bird Advisory Committee makes the rules as per the agreement from the 80s
The ASA was the only motorized group willing to keep the area open for motorized recreation. The AOHVA bailed from the process when they were not given summer access. The snowmobile club is responsible for all winter motorized access but has no control of ATV use. We ask all ATVers to appreciate their access to this area and respect the snowmobile trails. Please do not rut up the trails or do donuts in the trails. Safety issues and the cost to maintain these trails are very expensive.
The ASA trail pass system does not allow for ATVs to purchase Trail Passes. If you want to contribute to help the trails donate some money or time to help with the trails give to the Tri County Snowmobile club rep out there working on the trails.
Hope this gives you some history and info on the area.

Thanks it does. Its just up the road from my house and i was just planing on taking my daughter for a quick atv ride up there. Dont plan on making big ruts or anything and i think if you can ride beside the groomed trails that would be good for us. Dont want to get lost out there staying of the path or something like that.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks it does. Its just up the road from my house and i was just planing on taking my daughter for a quick atv ride up there. Dont plan on making big ruts or anything and i think if you can ride beside the groomed trails that would be good for us. Dont want to get lost out there staying of the path or something like that.

No real room to ride on the edge of trail. trails are as wide as they can be to fit between the trees. Just ride right and have all you paperwork with you. Don't drive in the county of Stratchona roads or you will have another issue.
Read around on this site for more info on Stratchona County

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would be better off going to bruderhiem or red water with the quad. But the snow is getting pretty deep for quads now. I have been out on my quad and sled. My quad is running aggressive tires and I am working it pretty hard to get through the snow. Just for your info also it is impossible to ride a quad in the snow and not leave ruts.

Ranarampage

Reaction score
I usually ride in bruiderheim and i was out there just the past weekend. Found my quads to go thru it pretty easy but are working a bit harder to go thru the wet snow. Riding stock 1000 xxc, and 1000 xtp. Just wanted a change of scenery. Are there any trails that arent groomed at ministik or any open areas to ride around there? Dont want to wreck trails for snowmobile and i can see after riding in bruiderheim how snowmobile people would not like rutted trails.

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can try the Iron Horse. Stage from Smokey Lake and head East. It is unlikely that the sledders will appreciate you there unless the trail has a really good base, but it is designated as a multiuse trail. There are some trails cut in the bush North of the Iron Horse just before you hit Bellis - if you go in there, be careful around the beaver damn or you might get wet.

You can also try the multi-use trails out at Stanger Hills which is maintained by the Lac Ste Anne ATV Club. However, if you do go there, be careful to stay on the ATV trail and stay off the Snowmobile trails. There is a map at the staging area, but you can also find one here: Lac Ste Anne ATV Club - Trails

There is also the Cougar Patch by Two Hills. I haven't been there in winter but was talking to a member of the snowmobile club that maintains that area. He said ATV's are welcome all year round. https://www.snowandmud.com/alberta-483/cougar-patch-staging-area-two-hills-1474.html There are sections of this trail that a re a bit hilly, which I think might be a hoot in this deep snow. There is a high trail and a low trail (closer to the river) - the low trail is will probably be pretty tough for a new rider.

Last edited:

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO NOT RIDE AN ATV in MINISTIK

THERE is NO associtation representing ATVS in MINISTIK here for ATVs are not allowed --- PERIOD -- any time of the year

Top Bottom