Maybe another rally

Andrew650

Reaction score
Well at the moment I'm in the talking stage with the kinsmen club in edson, we might try to set up another rally in edson. Will be a different trail, mostly muskeg so not very family friendly, we will try to make a family friendly path but will be some deep spots no matter what. Before I went any further with the discussions I wanted to see how many people would be interested in another rally around edson, please post if you would be interested in another one and how many people in your group will show up, want it to be worth all the time it takes to get it all organized. As I said this is just in the talking phase and most likely wouldn't happen this year, first one would be planned for 2013 but would be a every year thing if turnout is good. Thanks for reading, hope to get lots of replies!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
In my experience with planning Rally's the SRD is not going to like you doing muskeg runs etc. Make sure you cover your butt and get in touch with SRD before getting your hopes up too high. Fines can be VERY hefty for the organizers of these events if it can be proven you are the reason for substaintial environmental damages.

Just my :twocents:

Andrew650

Reaction score
Ya we will be doing that for sure, you don't really ruin anything, most spots as soon as ur out of the hole it just covers over again, not much of a bottom to it and if there is wheels rarely touch it lol. Like I said right now it's just in discussion. If I get enough interest I will move to the next step and call them up and keep everyone updated on progress. The trail is a registered skidoo trail in the winter, summer only way through is walk or atv/utv, and I wouldn't suggest walking lol. Like you said tho we will see what they say, if they say no for that area there are tons of trails around here so we can choose a different route if need be. Thanks for the heads up tho :)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Ya we will be doing that for sure, you don't really ruin anything, most spots as soon as ur out of the hole it just covers over again, not much of a bottom to it and if there is wheels rarely touch it lol. Like I said right now it's just in discussion. If I get enough interest I will move to the next step and call them up and keep everyone updated on progress. The trail is a registered skidoo trail in the winter, summer only way through is walk or atv/utv, and I wouldn't suggest walking lol. Like you said tho we will see what they say, if they say no for that area there are tons of trails around here so we can choose a different route if need be. Thanks for the heads up tho :)

Now that you've stated its a snowmobile trail, I'm going to suggest you talk to the Edson Snowmobile club, as well as chat with the Alberta Snowmobile Association and see what their opinion of your idea is. I'm telling you SRD doesn't care what you see happening to the skeg, they will want you to either bridge it, cordorouy it, or steer completely around it. I run the Snowandmud ATV Jamboree and every year we go thru the same thing.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep^^^^^what Tyler said. I did the Rimbey kinsmen rally for a bunch of years....the SRD had a bird over the last one. It sounds like the same kind of terrain as here...good luck getting them on board. If they dont feel the land is sustainable...even with frost in the ground...they'll never issue permits. It's too bad, it generates alot of revenue for the community, but we have to keep the moose and the granola munchers happy.

Andrew650

Reaction score
Haha ok thanks again, will contact them for sure. Really sucks that they cause such a hastle over these things, we cant really do bridges most spots way to big of a hole to bridge over, and there is no around it all muskegy with few dry spots between holes. As far as skidoo club in town I don't think they care about summer riding just winter cause they groom the trail so they don't like quads on it tearing it up. Like I said I will call here soon and talk to them, if they say no then it's no. Won't stop me and all the others from riding it, just no rally. Maybe just a get together and meet some people and ride lol. Also when and where is this snow and mud jamboree? Did I miss It this year already?

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Haha ok thanks again, will contact them for sure. Really sucks that they cause such a hastle over these things, we cant really do bridges most spots way to big of a hole to bridge over, and there is no around it all muskegy with few dry spots between holes. As far as skidoo club in town I don't think they care about summer riding just winter cause they groom the trail so they don't like quads on it tearing it up. Like I said I will call here soon and talk to them, if they say no then it's no. Won't stop me and all the others from riding it, just no rally. Maybe just a get together and meet some people and ride lol. Also when and where is this snow and mud jamboree? Did I miss It this year already?

keep your eye on the site will be released in the next couple weeks.

Andrew650

Reaction score
Ok, trying to hit as many rallies as I can this year, even saving my holidays for rallies if I have to lol

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Andrew I road at the ASA Jamboree this year on a snowmobile rally in Westlock. You said that the local snowmobile club uses that trail as a designated snowmobile trail. Quads over the summer season can and will rut it up so bad that it takes way to much snow to ever fill in these holes/ruts that are made by the quads playing in the mud. This is what happened in the Westlocks trails.My choice would be to stay away from the muskeg spots on the snowmobile trails and try to leave it in as good of conditions as possible. In the future we may have to work together more and more to keep our love of motorized recreation allowed in Alberta.
Just saying

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the rally at Edson last season and look forward to coming up there for the next one. I'd likely have 5 or six people with me.

Top Bottom