Man Injured at BIS Suing Alleged Organizers

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is very sad if this is the way our country is going, I hope this gets punted out of court. Every single person on that mountain was responsible for they're own decisions and actions. It is up to each individual on the mountain to check and adhere to the warnings on avalanche.ca. I cant believe someone could sleep at night knowing they are have filed a lawsuit against the estates of the deceased sledders from the avalanche.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand this fella's pain and suffering, but who placed him in harms way? Did someone force him to go to Turbo that day? What some people resort to is so ridiculous!!

IG650

Reaction score
There were no Criminal Charges laid because the Highmarking
happened after the BIS.

People have to take responsibilty for their actions or inactions.

Sounds like the typical casting the net as wide as possible and see what happens.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a gutless piece of chit. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. He claims that Ozone didnt warn everyone about avalanche conditions?? How about checking them yourself because YOU are going sledding. Or how about taking responsibility for parking in a stupid spot when avalanche conditions are high?:mad:

I really like my nieghbor's view on lawsuits. He has a team roping arena on his property. Rather than paying a ridiculous amount for liability insurance, he just gives everyone fair warning. He says "if you sue me, Ill shoot you. Ill get five years in jail........but you'll be dead". I like it.:)

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is absolutely pathetic! This is the sort of thing that will create the demise of this sport. Every person that enters the backcountry on a snowmobile snowshoes skis etc. Should know there is always potential for an avi. You can never know exactly when it will happen they just happen. That's the risks we take and that's the simple reality of backcountry adventure.

This guy needs to get his head checked.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope that he looses this case. He is from Vernon BC, Come on don't tell me that he doesn't know the Hazards that avalanches present. I'm a flat lander from Alberta and even I know the hazards of avalanches. He went to this event on his own accord. No one held a gun to his head and said he had to go. The avalanche wasn't even part of the BIS from what I understand, it happened away from the BIS location. Lets hope that some bleeding heart judge doesn't award him with his claims, it would set a bad president.

Now not to sound like a hard nosed azzhat. I do sympathize with the people that had been affected by this incident. To these people I send my condolences but that being said I also say. if you were prepared to take the risk to attend this event be prepared for the consequences when mother nature decides to rag on you.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions. And if there is a chance someone else can pay for their decisions, hot damn line it up!

Pathetic.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the feeling Randy, I have a whole lot to say, but I`m not allowed to. :mad:

spill it Powder Puff. after all you started this thread in two different sections You have something that is bothering you you may as well get it off your chest. we are all big boys and girls here

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What a gutless piece of chit. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. He claims that Ozone didnt warn everyone about avalanche conditions?? How about checking them yourself because YOU are going sledding. Or how about taking responsibility for parking in a stupid spot when avalanche conditions are high?:mad:

I really like my nieghbor's view on lawsuits. He has a team roping arena on his property. Rather than paying a ridiculous amount for liability insurance, he just gives everyone fair warning. He says "if you sue me, Ill shoot you. Ill get five years in jail........but you'll be dead". I like it.:)

Love it!!!:dGonna get that put on a sign at the end of my driveway!

IG650

Reaction score
Quite often its cheaper for the insurance Company's to settle out of court than pay the costs of Defending themselves in Court. They would muzzle anyone by the terms of the policy.

The Crap parts of this is the Grass Root organizations been sucked into this, because they have tenure on the area. These are the people that represent our interest. The surviving wives that have kids, been sued for what they have left after losing their mates, hopefully they have insurance.

Sad for everyone involved, stay safe.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel most sorry for Shay's wife and family...they have gone through an extremely tough year coping with their loss...getting to the point where they may see a faint light at the end of the tunnel....and then this DOUCHE BAG comes along and feels that he has been wronged because he was in an avy. He should be thankful that he is alive!!
The same day that the Turbo slide happened I was sledding north of Revy and was buried in a naturally triggered avy and under for 10 minutes - we were playing in low slope areas that we felt were safe. I was aware of the conditions and chose to go out that day! Even though I wasn't hurt I still have pain and suffering, but do you think I blame my buddies for taking me to a really cool spot? NO - I thank them and am grateful that they saved my life:beer::beer:

Top Bottom