Making the apex lighter

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well I decided to ride the apex I bought and I have to say - I really liked it. So much so that I think I am going to keep it.

I know about the exhaust and boss seat kit, and I am going to loose the extra idler wheels in the skid. Can someone tell me the lightweight battery to install in this and any other cost effective ways to drop weight. First 60lbs are the cheapest weight to get off right - so how is it done?

Anyone track ported - hows that working????

Thanks

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have done a few mods to mine. First I would not recomend the lightweight battery, from my experience I have not had god luck with them. Remember your in the backcountry with no pull start. I had removed all the foam from within the engine compartment, this stuff really wicks up the moisture. put on a TJ exhaust and boss combo, dropped 41 pounds.
I would checkout timbersled, a fellow rider has many of there products on hid sled and has seen a big weight reduction, for example there seat and exhaust, front arms, floats, and skid. te skid really does drop 30 pounds.

Trottier

Reaction score
Have done a few mods to mine. First I would not recomend the lightweight battery, from my experience I have not had god luck with them. Remember your in the backcountry with no pull start.

I have to agree with the light weight battery. I went through three different types and none of them were any good. I put a stock one back in this year and have had no problems. Give Timbersled a call i have one of there skids in my Apex and I love it. Drops a lot of weight and rides a lot better then the POS stock skid. When that is all done bolt on a turbo and never look back.

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do not do the battery they are junk.I know on the apex they go ded really easy because the computer is always taking a draw.I have one in my RX-1 and it has not gone dead yet but it will not start at -18 and if I roll it I'm concerned that it will not start.

WesG

Reaction score
I would definately look into the timbersled skid. With some setup time I absolutely love mine. skipressure is lighter than stock, but it holds the front down to the snow. Rides abit better on the trail(not night and day, but better).

Wes

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just put on the Timbersled front end and Fox floats lost 18lbs up front and the ride is a whole lot better now to. I have the Holz rear skid and love it.

Misfit

Reaction score
I was a typical Apex skeptic about the weight until I rode one and wow! I think they are a great sled and they hide the weight very well imo. A lighter Apex would be awsome.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
YA, I''VE RIDDEN A FEW TOO.... THEY HANDLE AND BOONDOCK VERY WELL CONSIDERING THE WEIGHT... I THINK IT EVEN "FEELS" LIGHTER THAN MY 1000RT SUMMIT, UNTIL IT IS STUCK.... I CAN'T HARDLY LIFT THE FRONT OF AN APEX, BUT MY 1000RT IS SURPRISINGLY LIGHT ON THE FRONT END, AND I CAN LIFT IT FAIRLY EASILY... I ALMOST BOUGHT THE APEX, WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT MY 1000.... IT WAS A TOSS-UP:twocents:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diamond S chassis and light weight seat.
Or ride in powder only cuz they ride like a cloud in the fluff.:D

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ported my stock track and i must say that i was surprised by by a couple of things.
1. I had to add weight to the clutch ramps as I was now over-revving. I believe that I removed approximately 5-7lbs. of rotating mass. If a person was to be more aggressive with the amount of port holes you could remove another 2lbs.
2. I've noticed that I now have consistently less snow packed into the track/suspension area than others whom I ride with.
Some people argue that there may be durability issues. I have around 800-900 miles on the ported track and haven't had any issues.:thumbsup2:

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well I decided to ride the apex I bought and I have to say - I really liked it. So much so that I think I am going to keep it.

I know about the exhaust and boss seat kit, and I am going to loose the extra idler wheels in the skid. Can someone tell me the lightweight battery to install in this and any other cost effective ways to drop weight. First 60lbs are the cheapest weight to get off right - so how is it done?

Anyone track ported - hows that working????

Thanks

buy an Xp and shave off about 150 lbs :d:d

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is lots of great suggestions... It always seems to come back to being compared to one of the or the lightest sleds on the market. I have the opportunity to have ridden most models of snowmobiles, Yes they are the Heaviest sleds, But that's where one uses there weight and HP to make it perform. They handle different than a lighter sled. Use the HP and your body weight to make them do what you want. Its not a simple tug on the bars and giver gas like the lighter models. The principle is the same, but you will notice that if you ride the Apex and get used to it, then jump on a XP or a M series you will flop it over....lol. You need to get familiar with the ride. And again we are comparing mountain sleds... just different breeds. Think of it a fruit..... yes.... apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, and water melons are all classed as fruit, but are different. so to compare The "m" Series ,XP,Rev, IQ chassis to an Apex.... well they are all sleds... just a little different. I prefer to ride the water melon over the grape....lol.

So back to the Thread.... " Making the Apex lighter." Many options, money is the question, how much is one willing to spend, the sky is the limit.

mike booooast!!!

Reaction score
I saved 33lbs by changing out my stock suspension to timbersled, installed the challenger extreme whih is lighter than stock, stay away from ported on the apex, there lighter but dont channel the snow into the centre of the track where you need it, boss seat and exauht like you said, remove your headlight and install a light weight hood from mountain fit hoods, 300$ it omes taped with the nose taped to the back of the hood, just to show you how good they are against cracking, iv rolled mine a couple times and not so much as even a white strain mark yet in the lexan, removing light and hood is about 8 lbs, vent kit frm mountin fit hoods aswell, front timber sled skid, i also swapped out my steering post for a cr racing cromoly t post saved about 3-4 pounds, gained 3 inches of rise and it stronger. you can remove your secondary cooler infront of your right foot under the hood along with the electric fan, but you will then need to remove stock coolers and install u cooler. that will save you around 5-8 pounds aswell.

powder muncher

Reaction score
To do things in order of importance to me.

Skid and New track

Mountain mod seat

Light weight exhaust -- Bike pipe or the exell over the top exhaust ( Under tunnel will choke at slow speed in powder)

Mountain mod or diamond s hood

Float shocks

Frond end ??? they are lighter but nothing beats the stocker for strength

After that it is all small stuff.

cheers.........

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To do things in order of importance to me.

Skid and New track

Mountain mod seat

Light weight exhaust -- Bike pipe or the exell over the top exhaust ( Under tunnel will choke at slow speed in powder)

Mountain mod or diamond s hood

Float shocks

Frond end ??? they are lighter but nothing beats the stocker for strength

After that it is all small stuff.

cheers.........

Just to ad to Munchers list.

CR Drop Bracketts

And any other small stuff.

And of course a Turbo. It eliminates the heavy air box and exhaust.

So there you go. You have lots of options

Good Luck. :beer:

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont forget the light weight battery. takes a few pounds off the nose.

and try hittin the treadmill and shed some gut fat! its the best way to shed weight off your sled! lol

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont forget the light weight battery. takes a few pounds off the nose.

and try hittin the treadmill and shed some gut fat! its the best way to shed weight off your sled! lol

I need to replace my battery......what is this light weight battery your talking about? I have been looking at lithium batteries that weight just a few pounds......I think it was 2 0r 2.5 pounds but I have hear they are not so good in the cold, and have good cranking power, but for a very short time......is there another option? a regular battery is 10-11 pounds!

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gimme a few days til i get home. ill look at which one i have. its never let me down even in -28.... theres a really light one and its not good for cold starts. mines in the middle weight wise and works awesome. 4 years strong now.

Top Bottom