m6 eng noise

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok this one has me stumped too., aprox 5000rpm light load say cruising up or down the trail, i have a rattle noise ( sounds to me like a rod bearing in a car) under full load or past 5000rpm the noise is gone or not as loud, almost not hearing it. pulled both plugs and both plugs are white with deposits on them, lean, i dumped oil in the gas for some pre mix, noise is less even at 5000rpm. now the oiling system is working because it does use oil. last season i had the power valves out and inspected, looked good cleaned and reinstalled. the sled has 2000km on it, and no it has not been abused like the apex lol. i am scratching my head. is it piston and seals time?? or is it something different. i have ruled out exhaust and mounts, it is in motor somewhere. oh ya unloaded in garage it does not make noise. must be loaded.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need to figure out why your motor is leaning out. being computer controlled and all it should be perfect.

have you looked into the clutches?

compression test?

could be many things if you have time over the summer just pull the cylinders off quick and take a look.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no the nut is not the problem, the broken steering post was the issue all along,
i have to do a compression test and see what is the deal, i just do not see why it is leaning out on both sides, usually its the stator side that leans out and pops the motor, i have 2 other projects in the garage right now just waiting for clutching and another blower belt then i should be able to get into the cat. was just wondering if any one has had this issue before aswell as the milage is fairly low. and i do not abuse my units lol lol lol ask amy she knows

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no the nut is not the problem, the broken steering post was the issue all along,
i have to do a compression test and see what is the deal, i just do not see why it is leaning out on both sides, usually its the stator side that leans out and pops the motor, i have 2 other projects in the garage right now just waiting for clutching and another blower belt then i should be able to get into the cat. was just wondering if any one has had this issue before aswell as the milage is fairly low. and i do not abuse my units lol lol lol ask amy she knows

what year is it..may need to get ur ecu reflashed... had one lean down same way it was and 08

Terry

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i have %90 of motor torn down, i have piston scored bad on the clutch side, we have lack of oil i think, how do you tell if the crank bearings gone and rod bearings, there is side to side movement but not sure what is allowable?. so at this time i know i need a piston and possibly a turbo but would like to know if i should do bottom end too? any ideas would be great

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just got the motor out and the motor mount plate looks bent, causing the rear lower bushing to rub on the frame and the weld.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i have %90 of motor torn down, i have piston scored bad on the clutch side, we have lack of oil i think, how do you tell if the crank bearings gone and rod bearings, there is side to side movement but not sure what is allowable?. so at this time i know i need a piston and possibly a turbo but would like to know if i should do bottom end too? any ideas would be great

say what... u running a turbo? must go like a raped ape.... if its apart do a complete rebuild-leave nothing to chance, specially if your running but hp through the little m6....

T

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no its not a turbo yet, my friend has the turbo he wants to give it to me, but i want to keep this sled a stocker. i already have a mod sled so i just want a pull and go. i am just looking at parts pricing now for pistons and rings. they re not too bad. i think i will replace them and the upper bearings and start running premix. the whole rebuild is going to be more then the sled is worth i personally think. and besides i have not found a failure yet with the motor so i still do not know where the noise was comming from.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i will take a picture of the rub marks on the frame from the steel bushing on the lower left corner, looks like it was trying to wear through the weld and the aluminum plate behind it. could this have been my noise all along?, also the motor plate is twisted and bent on the lower corner, the 2 studs from the main chasis frame look they are bent at a slight angle also, are they suposto be streight?, motor seemed to sit ok in frame but i never measured. also have a cracked weld on the lower tube frame to aluminum belly pan kinda part

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no its not a turbo yet, my friend has the turbo he wants to give it to me, but i want to keep this sled a stocker. i already have a mod sled so i just want a pull and go. i am just looking at parts pricing now for pistons and rings. they re not too bad. i think i will replace them and the upper bearings and start running premix. the whole rebuild is going to be more then the sled is worth i personally think. and besides i have not found a failure yet with the motor so i still do not know where the noise was comming from.

u know im gonna check i might have a new 600 m engine in a box from a cat engine sale...ill check and let u know .it would be a good price..

T

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a good price would be great let me know, i think i only need some pistons, rings and gskts

seaGALLZ

Reaction score
lol i know its a bad sterio type but so far every mod sled my uncule has made my aunty has distroyed beyond repair i dont know i say stick to stock easyer to go out and ride

Top Bottom