M series cats vs. Pro series RMK

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the weekend, had a chance to spend a little time on a turbo'd, 09 M8. Although it wasn't running exactly right, it was running very well.
Before this, I had never even sat on one, and was very impressed with the ease, or relaxed feeling I got while on it.

From it though, I'm having a hard time deciding if it would be a better... investment to turbo my '13 Pro, or to turbo an M8.

So, hoping to hear from some folks who have experience with both chassis. I should add, the sled is not for climbing, but general boondocking, and tree riding.

And as tempting as it's going to be, :nono: lets try not to bash the **** out of each other, and keep to the facts. :D

saltywalt

Reaction score
You could almost buy an M Series that's already turbo'd for the price of a kit for your Pro.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A cat turbo would run 2500 miles boosted without needing motor work. The pro would be fun and awesome but the 800 Polaris motor isn't the most stout or longest lasting. I would do a cat turbo if I were to do a 2 stroke build

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
With the newer Pro's, I have heard and read that the power of the turbo is hard on the rest of the light weight parts. I could be wrong but some of the dudes who have put turbos on a Pro may chime in.

If you want some real fun in the trees put a skid on your dirt bike.....just saying!

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just redone the top end of my 2011 M8 with a cutler stage two with 2300 miles on boost. Everything looked like new.The M8 motor is as close to bullet proof as you are going to get

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've spent some time on a 2014 Pro and they are a nice sled. I still like the m series as well its a great sled, but for the price of it, as others have said, you can buy a boosted M series sled for as much as boosting your pro. If you are going to seriously do it though, boost the Pro.

I'd be calling Neil @ Boost-it and spend the money up front and do it right. Their kits seem to be working very well and he can tell you all about any reliability issues with the Pro on boost. The 2012's were the new model year and therefore had the most issues.

Polaris has made some great refinements to the sled in 2014 and I'd be looking to get those updates done if I were going boosted. For example, the new belt for the belt drive is stronger this year, and I would swap it out if it was me. Same for the driveshaft. They've made some other tweaks as well that can be retro-fitted.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, the cost is a big part of the decision. As much as money isn't a real big deal, I still want the spending to be worth while.

And yes Doug, I have said time and time again I should get into dirt biking, because the places to go on a track and ski would be endless :)

Anyway, thanks for the input so far guys, it's appreciated.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ridden mseries sleds for years and now have a 13' pro since last year, great sled. I'd do the pro, everything on it is a newer technology and handles the abuse better IMO, also I really like the super narrow feeling and lightness of the sled compared to the M. Don't get me wrong the M's good but not as good, also beats the crap outta u on the trail.

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the weekend, had a chance to spend a little time on a turbo'd, 09 M8. Although it wasn't running exactly right, it was running very well.
Before this, I had never even sat on one, and was very impressed with the ease, or relaxed feeling I got while on it.

From it though, I'm having a hard time deciding if it would be a better... investment to turbo my '13 Pro, or to turbo an M8.

So, hoping to hear from some folks who have experience with both chassis. I should add, the sled is not for climbing, but general boondocking, and tree riding.

And as tempting as it's going to be, :nono: lets try not to bash the **** out of each other, and keep to the facts. :D

Funny this came up, Just got rid of my 2012 pro for a 2010 RG intercooled M8. I paid less for the cat with the turbo kit then what I sold my pro for. I know have more $$ into it as I have added somethings onto it that I like, still a couple more things to do to get it where I want it. Couple things I have found (non biased opinion), keep in mind I am still getting use to the chassis;
-pro is substantially lighter, to the point where I was never worried about diggin it out by myself, the cat... can be done but more digging required.
-pro climbed outta the snow WAY better (this could be partially due to some turbo lag).
-cat side hills close to the pro, but takes alittle more effort to get there.
-hard to compare power when one is turboed and one was stock.
-the small fuel tank on the cat is a bit of a PITA. gotta carry a 20 ish liter jerry for long deep days.
-there are times when I miss my pro for ease and ridability, then i spool the cat up and all is forgotten.
-if money isn't an issue, I would take a well tuned pro over a well tuned m-series, JMO, i havent found anything that suites MY riding style like the pro, the cat isn't to far off tho.

Keep in mind if thinking about a used turbo'd sled, take it for a ride in the mountains, or know who built it, or know how to tune and wrench. Lots of guys selling kits cause they cant get them runnin right and this will cause lots of headaches and $$ for you if your not careful.

So far, no regrets on the switch.
PM me if ya want any more detail or questions.

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ridden mseries sleds for years and now have a 13' pro since last year, great sled. I'd do the pro, everything on it is a newer technology and handles the abuse better IMO, also I really like the super narrow feeling and lightness of the sled compared to the M. Don't get me wrong the M's good but not as good, also beats the crap outta u on the trail.

I would question this part of your statement, but the rest is about right. Dont see to many cats with bent tunnels or smashed overstructures (not that they have over structure). only thing to watch with the M was the drive bearing. No glue failing either.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would question this part of your statement, but the rest is about right. Dont see to many cats with bent tunnels or smashed overstructures (not that they have over structure). only thing to watch with the M was the drive bearing. No glue failing either.
fair enuf, some may have different experiences than others, imo it is stronger as i havent had the tunnel and overstructure problems, and i attribute those to abuse and or QC. Just off the top of my head heres some issues i had with my last M by the time it was said and done……cracked cooler, dd bearing failure, cracked bulkhead, shot hand warmers, few sets of a arms, bent steering post, stabbed track, bent rails, cracked hood and front bumpers, reeds, primary springs, primary aaand secondary shot, and im sure theres more im forgetting.

Ive ridden both these sleds the same so in my experiences besides motor (which i havent had issues…yet) the pro is much more resilient to the everyday abuse a sled gets on the mtn….cant believe some of the stuff my pros come thru unscathed, thought for sure itd be mangled, brush off the witches hair, pine needles and snow, looks like new!

maybe ive just been lucky

tripin'pipe

Reaction score
Funny this came up, Just got rid of my 2012 pro for a 2010 RG intercooled M8. I paid less for the cat with the turbo kit then what I sold my pro for. I know have more $$ into it as I have added somethings onto it that I like, still a couple more things to do to get it where I want it. Couple things I have found (non biased opinion), keep in mind I am still getting use to the chassis;
-pro is substantially lighter, to the point where I was never worried about diggin it out by myself, the cat... can be done but more digging required.
-pro climbed outta the snow WAY better (this could be partially due to some turbo lag).
-cat side hills close to the pro, but takes alittle more effort to get there.
-hard to compare power when one is turboed and one was stock.
-the small fuel tank on the cat is a bit of a PITA. gotta carry a 20 ish liter jerry for long deep days.
-there are times when I miss my pro for ease and ridability, then i spool the cat up and all is forgotten.
-if money isn't an issue, I would take a well tuned pro over a well tuned m-series, JMO, i havent found anything that suites MY riding style like the pro, the cat isn't to far off tho.

Keep in mind if thinking about a used turbo'd sled, take it for a ride in the mountains, or know who built it, or know how to tune and wrench. Lots of guys selling kits cause they cant get them runnin right and this will cause lots of headaches and $$ for you if your not careful.

So far, no regrets on the switch.
PM me if ya want any more detail or questions.

no way that the m8 beets a pro i just got a silber kit on my 13 pro and it floats over anthing if you want a heaver sled to dig out then get a m8 otherwise do up the pro ya it might not take the kit as good but u r goin to rebuild either one so go for the pro u wontt regret it

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would much rather have a bone stock Pro than a modded turbo M8. Way lighter, better suspension and chassis, and much less fatiguing to ride. My stock skidded TM8 would barely even outclimb my XM stock in the fresh. Just wasn't transferring that power to forward momentum. Not to mention I felt like I was run over by a train after every ride. And also factor in the PITA of running race fuel.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id take a Pro any day over the M8. Heres my opion tho, I ride almost every day, with all kinds of different sleds. Pimp turbo mods ext ext. Hasn't been a day yet it the trees where I was like oh man I wish I had that turbo sled,,, mostly just pulling on those guys skis or am towing them off the mountain. Keep it stock and work on yer riding skillz and you wont need or want a turbo, unless climbing shoots is ur thing JMO

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id take a Pro any day over the M8. Heres my opion tho, I ride almost every day, with all kinds of different sleds. Pimp turbo mods ext ext. Hasn't been a day yet it the trees where I was like oh man I wish I had that turbo sled,,, mostly just pulling on those guys skis or am towing them off the mountain. Keep it stock and work on yer riding skillz and you wont need or want a turbo, unless climbing shoots is ur thing JMO

That's exactly what I keep telling myself. I ride with a turbo and it's awfully tempting, but I've gone everywhere he has (just not as fast) and I don't have to haul fuel around. I'm not into pulling chutes.

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no way that the m8 beets a pro i just got a silber kit on my 13 pro and it floats over anthing if you want a heaver sled to dig out then get a m8 otherwise do up the pro ya it might not take the kit as good but u r goin to rebuild either one so go for the pro u wontt regret it

Not sure if you even read the post but know where did I say the cat "beets" (beats) a pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind there are big differences between rg and pg, intercooled and non intercooled kits. As well it all comes down to tuning and dialling your sled in.
As far as statements that say a "stocker" would beat up a turbo'd sled. Unless it's an over 8-10 year old sled, this should never happen unless you got some issues. More then likely related to fuel or clutching.
Again this is just my 2 cents. And I agree with lilduke on the stocker statements. But ya gotta try everything once.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind there are big differences between rg and pg, intercooled and non intercooled kits. As well it all comes down to tuning and dialling your sled in.
As far as statements that say a "stocker" would beat up a turbo'd sled. Unless it's an over 8-10 year old sled, this should never happen unless you got some issues. More then likely related to fuel or clutching.
Again this is just my 2 cents. And I agree with lilduke on the stocker statements. But ya gotta try everything once.

Oh for sure Turbo's can be awesome,, with the right rider. Just go riding for a day with the Micku's,,, Most guys cant control the power in tight stuff tho,, Still fun I guess even if ur out of control...lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys, 2002 called and they want their opinions on turbo sleds back.........LOL.....there is no universal law that says turbo's have to be going 1000 MPH uphill. We don't all ride like we want to be in the next sled film.

My primary riding buddy is boosted and we never pull chutes, we are in the trees 80% of the day, until we get to a spot where all the stock sleds turn around, then we get to keep going. I seriously don't know who you guys are riding with but boosted sleds actually work well in the trees. They build track speed much quicker and allow you to get up and over things where stockers simply can't. They are a different animal at times but when you set them up for it, they can work extremely well. Key here is "the set up". Don't use a huge turbo that going to lag you out when you need it, etc etc. Here's some examples of boost in the trees.

Tswarm Boondocker Turbo Pro RMK Trestle Creek - YouTube

Turbo M8 in the U shape - YouTube

Top Bottom