ltz 400

g00d$p33d

Reaction score
i dont have the year yet but i dont think its newer than 07...

i can get a steal of a deal on it i just want too know if it will suit my riding style

1 what are some pros and cons of this bike in general

2 is it true that it is nearly identical to other manufacturers 400s

3 what is it like durabilty wise

4 how much slower is it than a late model yfz 450 or a renegade 800

5 how finiky is tuning..i dont want to rejet 3 times a year

6 how easy do they drown and how do they do in the mud.... i use a yamaha warior i inherited from my dad in the mud a skag and it was my 1st full size bike as it was his and is going through the honorary 22 year resto lol

sorry i wrote this up in like 2 mins cuz were leving

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to own one, really great quad. Just make sure to do maintenance on it regularely. If your worried about mud though, get a 4X4 quad.

It is carbureted and yes, if you ride other places across alberta, get used to jetting. Especially with mods. Jets aren't plug and play, its just like jetting any other carb'd quad. I also had a YFZ but the only time you notice the speed difference between the two quads is full out drag racing and on a MX track. The Z will fall short of the 450's.

The ArcticCat DVX400 and Kawasaki KFX 400 are both built by suzuki using the Z400 platform.

Just to clear it up, jetting 3 times a year is being lazy. I jetted my YFZ and Z400 roughly 10-20 times after modifications. To make it run good. Its not that bad if you take your time. You will notice better performance with good jetting.

Durability... all depends on how well you take care of it. It's a good built quad. All that happened to mine was loose the rad shrouds and break a swing arm pivot bolt once. Thats also because I got a little to comfortable hitting a 70 foot table top and a 90 foot step-up on it and it failed after overshooting 'em and a few hard landings later. Again though, if you Moto it, things break fast. Happens on any quad.

If your worried about drowning, get another quad. More than likely a 4X4. Sport quads aren't submarines. They are for track and trail, not deep river crossings. The airbox isn't made to go deep, its meant to let as much air in as possible.

The Z draws in air right from the top of the seat closest to the gas tank area. incase you where wondering. (assuming the one you have doesn't run a modded box or has the lid removed.)

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion if you plan on spending alot of time quading pick your genre and go for it. so either a 450 or a 4x4. z400 are fun but they are truly only good for trails. if your anything over 5'8" the cockpit is really crowded, the wheel base is too short and the steering is choppy. your honestly better off with either a 450 or a 4x4. with a z400 you'll always be wanting more power. ive owned a z400, a 450 and now im EXTREMELY happy with my renegade. and i'd much rather have a 450 or 4x4. you can find a decent used 450 for a little more than a z400.

thats just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom