Electric vehicle sales slump one year after subsidy cut

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a stall marked as an EV charging spot is not to be used for EV charging or you’ll be labeled as a thief?

If your paying for that stall, than no. If not, and that power supply is directly tied into the main grid, than that person should be paying for that service.

I have to pay for my power service when I go to a RV site.

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a stall marked as an EV charging spot is not to be used for EV charging or you’ll be labeled as a thief?

if you are replying to my post regarding the doctor plugging in his Tesla at the local hospital......it is NOT a designated EV charge spot. It is a plug in for winter block heaters.....maybe these can be viewed as the same thing in today's world. My point being is he is likely refueling his car on our tax dollars.....

when you pull into a designated EV charge spot, how do you pay for the electricity used to charge your car? Is it by the minute or by the hour....is it like a parking meter where you just swipe your credit card ....how does it work?

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are replying to my post regarding the doctor plugging in his Tesla at the local hospital......it is NOT a designated EV charge spot. It is a plug in for winter block heaters.....maybe these can be viewed as the same thing in today's world. My point being is he is likely refueling his car on our tax dollars.....

when you pull into a designated EV charge spot, how do you pay for the electricity used to charge your car? Is it by the minute or by the hour....is it like a parking meter where you just swipe your credit card ....how does it work?

There are 3 different chargers I’ve used so far. The first being Tesla supercharger. It’s the fastest (150kw) and everything is integrated. It will just automatically bill your credit card as well as tell you your dollar total while charging.
ChargePoint is another one. You download the chargepoint app and then link it to your credit card. You use your phone or the card they send you in the mail to start the charge session. The only one I’ve used of this type is the one at the Medicine Hat Volkswagen dealer and that one was free (still need the app and a chargepoint account though).
FLO is another brand of charger. Very similar to chargepoint with a phone app used to start the charge session. For comparison sake the chargepoint and flo chargers I have used had a power of 6kw. So they take quite a bit longer and don’t really work that well on long trips.
There is also the PlugShare app which has an extensive directory of EV charging options. Some people even have their home chargers available for use.

Also some businesses have chargers for customers. This is most commonly a restaurant or a hotel.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Justin Turdboy spends 100,000 on beer and joints on just one normal private flight to pedofile island. Mayor Nenshi is going to be getting 2 or 3 different million dollar pension plans from the Tax payers and you are worried about a MD scamming 1.30$ worth of electricity? LMAO
I wonder how many useless city workers and provincial bureaucrats waste tax payers gas money driving around lolly gaggin every day.

At least this guy brings his own car.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are 3 different chargers I’ve used so far. The first being Tesla supercharger. It’s the fastest (150kw) and everything is integrated. It will just automatically bill your credit card as well as tell you your dollar total while charging.
ChargePoint is another one. You download the chargepoint app and then link it to your credit card. You use your phone or the card they send you in the mail to start the charge session. The only one I’ve used of this type is the one at the Medicine Hat Volkswagen dealer and that one was free (still need the app and a chargepoint account though).
FLO is another brand of charger. Very similar to chargepoint with a phone app used to start the charge session. For comparison sake the chargepoint and flo chargers I have used had a power of 6kw. So they take quite a bit longer and don’t really work that well on long trips.
There is also the PlugShare app which has an extensive directory of EV charging options. Some people even have their home chargers available for use.

Also some businesses have chargers for customers. This is most commonly a restaurant or a hotel.

What voltage does the Tesla supercharger charge the car at?

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the manufacturers get it together and start selling them at reasonable prices I could be convinced. I’m not a ford guy by any means, but I’ll take a look at the electric f150 in 2020. If they could sell a mid level in the low to mid 40’s I’d be all over it as a daily. Keep the Cummins for road trips and towing.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The battery pack voltage is 400v DC. I would guess that supercharging does not exceed battery voltage.

So assuming the 400v DC is a charged system, it would take alot higher voltage to charge and desulfate the batteries??

For example a 12v system on a regular car, the battery at full charge will be 12.6v approximately.

To charge a battery by the vehicles charging system, the voltage regulator maintains 14.5 to 13.8. A smart car battery charger will maintain 16v to 14.8 depending on the batteries state of charge.
I would assume that teslas supercharger, does the same as a small smart charger, just at a much higher voltage.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The battery pack voltage is 400v DC. I would guess that supercharging does not exceed battery voltage.

Just doing some quick math. If the Tesla supercharger charges at a rate of 150kw/400v= 375 amps. The charging cable must be enormous! And hammering a charge that fast into a battery must create a huge amount of heat. Is the battery somehow cooled during charging?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just doing some quick math. If the Tesla supercharger charges at a rate of 150kw/400v= 375 amps. The charging cable must be enormous! And hammering a charge that fast into a battery must create a huge amount of heat. Is the battery somehow cooled during charging?

That's right. It is probably 1 1/2" or so in diameter. I haven't supercharged much in really hot conditions but there are fans that will kick on to cool down the battery. They added battery conditioning in an update so when are navigating to a supercharger and get a certain distance away it will start to get the battery ready to accept the maximum charge. This was a problem in the winter because the battery was not getting warm enough on its own so the charging speeds could be quite a lot slower.

The new v3 supercharger that peaks at 250kw actually has a smaller liquid cooled cable. Some of these will hopefully be installed at the transcanada locations that are under construction right now. v3 would charge from 0 to 90% in 25 minutes so that would make for quick stops and better utilization of charging stalls (each stall could supply 900km of range per hour).

Also the peak speeds will not be sustained the whole time. 15% to 60% is going to be the highest rate and then it will slowly taper down. 90% to 100% is REALLY slow and often not worth it (also, no regenerative braking at 100%). Right now the best way to do it is charge to 80% and get back on the road. It takes as long to get from 80 to 100 percent as it does from 0 to 80 percent.

Last edited:

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone looked at the lordstown trucks? Priced in the low 50’s with 600hp and looks like a Sierra (with a terrible grille) aside from having to do something with the grille I like it. Would make a great daily driver.
d41d9c0f7941ded1e0722db24e57bedf.jpg

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone looked at the lordstown trucks? Priced in the low 50’s with 600hp and looks like a Sierra (with a terrible grille) aside from having to do something with the grille I like it. Would make a great daily driver. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210110/d41d9c0f7941ded1e0722db24e57bedf.jpg

250 mile range, 175 mile range when towing.
10 hour recharge time.
Takes 2 days to get to McBride to go sledding.
Useless as a truck.
Just another around town car.

The recharge time vs refuel time is ridiculous.

Leaf Licker cars/trucks are far from ready for "real service" in the real world.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 hour recharge time.
Useless as a truck.

Leaf Licker cars/trucks are far from ready for "real service" in the real world.

1/2 hour fast charge, but ya no electric vehicle will be ready for those kind of trips until the fast charge networks are a widespread as gas stations. They are all just daily drivers at this point. But as someone who puts on 35000/year daily driving, but needs a truck for work, this is a step in the right direction. I’d keep my diesel too.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 hour recharge time.
Useless as a truck.

The worst part is you have to watch your vehicle while it’s charging or the electricity can’t gain entry to the battery. Once they overcome this EV can become mainstream.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tesla stock start of 2017 when model 3 was coming, $45 today $880.... fawk $10,000 would have made $200,000. Likely still worth buying.

Top Bottom