Low compression

wyzguyz

Reaction score
I need some input. I just did a compression test on my 02 summit 800. Mag side was 130psi, PTO side was 80psi. The sled has over 4000km's on it. I bought it for a good deal and it has good "bones" and isnt beat. Maybe topend or full on rebuild? Never built a motor 2 stroke before but know enough low compression is bad.

Any suggestions and a decent shop to do the work?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
girl friends dad has the same sled. was going to do a top end on it, but was told that if I do that the bottom end will probably go right after since there is 3000+ KMs on it. compression was I think 105-110 but the 80 hole is not good. take the cylinder off and look at the crank. look for blue on the rod bearing. I would say if it is good just do the 80 hole. hone it and stuff a new piston,ring,wrist pin, WP bearing and see how long it goes.

guys told me that if I did the top end of my 05 900 I wouldnt get 100 miles and it would blow the crank out. ( just did it to get rid of the bad 05 pistons)well 500 miles later all is good. if you got the money rebuild the engine complete, if your pissed and broke like me just do the one hole lol.

rmk mod

Reaction score
If you need a hand with the engine rebuild i would be happy to help you out. My shop is fully set up to do a complete rebuild, and i wouldn't mind helping out a fellow sledder. Let me know what you think. Jon :beer: :d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need some input. I just did a compression test on my 02 summit 800. Mag side was 130psi, PTO side was 80psi. The sled has over 4000km's on it. I bought it for a good deal and it has good "bones" and isnt beat. Maybe topend or full on rebuild? Never built a motor 2 stroke before but know enough low compression is bad.

Any suggestions and a decent shop to do the work?

Probably a ring flaked or broke. Seems to be the norm with the 02-04 yrs. Old man's 03 did the same thing.

2 stroke is easy to do.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on my 02 summit 700, put new top in at 4600 km. crank bearing seized the other day at 5500km. wrecked both pistons to. could get away with new pistons and crank bearings, but just gonna put a whole new shortblock in. also if you hone it out does it not take of the nickel plating or whatever and deffeat the purpose of the coated cylinders?

wyzguyz

Reaction score
Well thanks for all the input. I talked to the gearheads I know and the concensus is to tear it down and rebuild. I could do the top end if its a ring or wrist pin bearing but it has over 4000km's and the chance the bottom end will hold up for any amount of time is probably not good. I don't want to be stranded saying i should have just done the whole thing instead of a bandaid.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom