Lost in the West

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PS: I should mention the tool that best suits ATV tracks.

Chain-saw and a hammer axe too clear downed trees.

Log hopping is easy for units with tires, not so much with tracks,,, my unit can jump 8" too 10" logs with some challenges, 12" on up are hard too get over.

It a section can be removed, "not frozen into ground, then this is what happens."

Log frozen into ground gets track areas "only" cut-out, Ha.

12" wide and how ever deep the ice and snow will allow the chain saw to cut.

Not worried about clearances since quad rear diff is 10" off the ground,,, remember, left-over sections of frozen log will get the unit more height.

2 up and down cuts, then a cross cut. X's by 2... Chain-saw worked double over time, and is a must with track systems.

Ideas when prepping the ride areas we visit.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, anything better than 6-7 inchs we ramped the log to get over, had lots of cleance, just had to make sure there was not another log within 3 ft. or trouble was in the immediate forecast. luckily we didn't have too many problems. young lad helper did manage to bend one of the a arms on the track frame! how? can only assume speed and going over log was the start of it. funny thing is, there are not many parts available, to fix these kinds of boo boo's.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so as you say Don, a riding plan is an on going thing, that needs adjustment as the ride progresses. :theCabin:

Yes, adjust ridding plan always.
Be at one with machine and the ground it stands on, Ha.

Pops told me not too stick my noodle into a bear trap, pops is smart at that stuff, LOL.

Today is all hands on deck of service and adjustments on little Onda and farm tractor chain up time as our hills are damed scary right now,,, we chain-up everything around here. "better safe then sorry, helmits too, Ha.

Winter oil change.
Track inspection.
Air cleaner.
Battery post clean & inspect.
Lots of coffee.
And all true stories in heated shop /man cave of toasty warm.

Might get time too re-orginze cabin on wheels as well.

Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha, heard something similar about winches, keep out of the way. and keep hands away from cables. have seen some scary stuff around them things.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahh don't be a pussy ....I seen a guy today at the pool just pin it ...X3 turbo manta green pool lounger....
No helmet , no life jacket , no fear ...
The crowd went wild .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quad track idea is the best dam thing to show up at our farm, Kows seem too like them alot, Ha.

Full serves check over from weekend, just a over inspection.

Frozen b@!!z likes too hang out in heated shop of good times, not wize to air-gun tools yet, LOL.

And we hope to get tire chains on tractor in the next few days,,, tire chains rock the frozen Americas

Good day to gear up for more out door adventures ahead, ain't no weather holding us back now that the ground has tacked up solid.

Lem Lamb Pal, Ha

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahh don't be a pussy ....I seen a guy today at the pool just pin it ...X3 turbo manta green pool lounger....
No helmet , no life jacket , no fear ...
The crowd went wild .

Pictures pictures

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soon for track chains on the back.

I'll pick up 2 more sets too fabric them, 101" around the track.

Lots of clearance along the side, so it should work out if needed. Ha

More than a pretty face you know.

Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rumours here in Saska-bush that its that its suppose to be warm this weekend along the Alberta Eastern Slopes,,, hummmmm.

Not sure how Saska-bush got its name as I don't see any down here in Estevan, Ha

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rumours here in Saska-bush that its that its suppose to be warm this weekend along the Alberta Eastern Slopes,,, hummmmm.

Not sure how Saska-bush got its name as I don't see any down here in Estevan, Ha

don't count on it.. Last night it said it was going to be -13 hear today....-26 now and all the weather changed for next few days... Mountain weather is simply unpredictable and forcast is never accurate around here.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track chains should work so long as both side rail-links are well with in "lower" then track its self,,, chains can be loose so long as rail-chain links don't jump over the track.

I'm thinking at least 2" or 3" side contour. LOL

Master of chains and rigging Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track chains should work so long as both side rail-links are well with in "lower" then track its self,,, chains can be loose so long as rail-chain links don't jump over the track.

I'm thinking at least 2" or 3" side contour. LOL

Master of chains and rigging Lem
i always thought you may have been chained for a period of time. lol. jk, should work, just never saw it done. you will have to start a new thread on the 1 ton honda?

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, it will be different all right as there ain't too many "common" folk that would attempt this on a track unit,,, but then I guess I don't fit the list,,, LOL.

Its been Arizona all winter long this year for the Lem.
Glad that old ideas returned to my "sometimer" noodle that slowly refreshes ideas of years gone by.

This winter "wintummer" has been awesome as my cabin on wheels is toasty warm, frost free windows of snow and ice, and it's like steering into Arizona every morning, Ha.

When in the city the Wally Marty frugal vegetable oil heater keeps the cold winter blues too nill, this idea is for those of us that park out side in chilly America.

Mind and body think they are in holiday Arizona each morning and what a "GRATE" way too start every day. Ha.

Window clear of snow and ice.
Out-side door handles and side pannels too.
Steering wheel, floor boards, and seat toasty warm.
Kow and Donkey are happy since they relax in comfort.

Seems like I can't wait for morning too come so I can start my day with no gloves while typing my posts on S&M.

Oh yha, cabin on wheels is fun, cabin on wheels with hot Arizona temps is Awesome.

Lem Lamb Pal of good times

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like you got a great set-up going, keep it spotless too, no cow or donkey left behinds! what with you being the first one there every morning, the boss thinks you are keen to work. promotion may be in your future. you could be billing 24hrs a day, night shift as on site security, with dog back up!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deputy Kow and Donkey ready to take on mid-night clowns with sticky paws, Ha. Kow will lick intruders into summation as Donkey likes too put the rear Hoff into action,, he ain't a happy camper to humans, Ha.

Today was the finishing touches on track tools and escape rigging if needed.

Short studded escape planks and blocks.
Tools for tracks and quad fixing.
Access to this rigging.
Game plan in place in a moments dealings.
Attack terrain plan with fore-sight.
Winter emergency camping camp system.
Emergency food & water.
Massive fire program if needed.
Communication system in-place.

And the willing-ness to tap it kool in the day of ever changing plan,,, this is a +++ as it allows for the time it takes to go from point A too Z return.

Much of these ideas carry over from winter time sledding as the elements of weather, human and machine all have their factors on these outtings.

One might not need this or that, but it really sucks goats milk if things go south and that dammed little peace could of been the game-changer had a person just brought it along.

Fore-sight can be anyone's friend, most folks are like this any-ways.

Reporting from toasty afternoon nap in cabin on wheels Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tanks Imdoo'n, trying my best to fit in on this planet Earth, Ha.

Easy access point A too Z back woods work bench, nothing like flicking the strap for chain-saw, axe, shovel, escape planks,,, still need too add touring corral for Kow & Donkey.

A dry proof bag since tracks are like 24 hour snow storms when in motion, plus it acts as a back rest pillow and pail for scoping water,,, got lucky this year too catch my first brown trout "by mistake." LOL... Scoop and ralease that is.

Nothing like having the cabin on wheels, and now the extra bush camp set-up if needed.

Lem

Last edited:
Top Bottom