Lost in the West

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Narrow quad bridge made by atv group, long before the SxS days.

Upper lake that is 3 to 4 feet low.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I could see the fish in the pond that are lake-locked with no escape. Papa Earth will do what it has to even in dry years.

I was not going to post the end part of the ride due to the Ft Mac fires, but there is nothing I can do but keep the thoughts of our fellow brothers & sisters in my hart and mind through the tuff days ahead.

Maybe the posts will take their thoughts to lands away from the happenings.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to make it home since my mail box was pretty full.

As I was loading up my very long time pal Glen Turple pulled in on his new ride. Ha. My Dad and Glen grew up in the Big Stone/ Chinook area in the dirty 30's.
They have been long time friends ever since.

Full service on the new Onda, or should I say 420 bro. LOL.

Rear diff oil came out pretty black before the 200 hour service.

Very black that is. 172 hours at 3700 kms on first diff oil change.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Front diff was clean.

Then some work on the Honda grain auger. Hard to believe it has more hp then my little Onda.

Pretty much good to go as my next diff change is in the next 100 hour run, if oil comes out dirty, then off to shop for warranty work.
Honda has been go to us since they service our operations at home and a far.

Pal Lem

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New too me Banik-wagon is home.
2012 F-150 for packing 2 sled on aluminum deck,,, Ha. "Not."

Comes with the might 3.7 L sporting the 6 speed auto in front of a 3:73 too 1 pumpkin,,, 2 wheel drive none the less, Ha.

No ohv'ing since the Province has ban in affect, so time to rig-up car/truck or other wize known at Auzzy Uoot.
In search of factory size tires since the new winter boots will go to storage.

Mouse catcher thinks its a good idea. Maybe this is the feed me look. LOL

Had time to make new friends to cover all my needs since I'm a person to person dude that shares in business.

New pal Gord is my go too guy for this project.

Things are pretty green here in Red Deer area as I hope the same for out West.

Pal Don at saving on fuel as it gives me more funds for back-wood trips.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all knowing western traveller,hows the road from nordegg north to grave flats we've never been there from the south and we're planning to head to ruby falls sunday after the snow and mud jamborree in july.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found 2 new accesses to the river too.
[url]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/FlashGordon63/Quad%202016%20Spring/DSC02840_zpskfb5kxqs.jpg[/URL]

Now I have 3 crossing spots.
[url]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/FlashGordon63/Quad%202016%20Spring/DSC02841_zps2lvnkfrr.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/FlashGordon63/Quad%202016%20Spring/DSC02842_zps38s6a1ob.jpg[/URL]

Trapper Arff and Imdoo'n cabin from the 1950's. Ha.
[url]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/FlashGordon63/Quad%202016%20Spring/DSC02843_zpsetiggb7b.jpg[/URL]

She high tech back in its day, and not 1 beer can in-sight...
[url]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/FlashGordon63/Quad%202016%20Spring/DSC02844_zpscyymom9y.jpg[/URL]

For Sale as is,,, 1 well looked after cabin that comes with tin roof, solar sun beam window, free aluminum broken scoop shovel and leather harness tack for old horse. Front porch needs a bit of work since its a family unit on space-us mass of land of trees in all directions. Comes with running water 200 feet from front door and a un-heated out door biffy that is older then the cabin.

Please call realtor near you for more details as there might be a well used Honda quad that goes with package.
[url]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/FlashGordon63/Quad%202016%20Spring/DSC02845_zpsgds6wllu.jpg[/URL]

Kinda neat that someone lived back here many moons ago, and that its stood the test of time.
Plan to try the fishing when it opens.
[url]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/FlashGordon63/Quad%202016%20Spring/DSC02846_zps9ahyvyii.jpg[/URL]

Then it was time to do the Nordegg Meeting as folks from the S&M forum came out to see whats happening out here.
[url]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/FlashGordon63/Quad%202016%20Spring/DSC02848_zps4nbz53jr.jpg[/URL]

A fellow named Cal came out as well from BHAM (Big Horn ATV Society) as they have a big steak in what is going on with this AWP (Alberta Wildland Park).
The AWA (Alberta Wildland Association folk did not attend as expected, so the next meeting will be interesting as the good folks of Nordegg would like to have access as normal.
For them and us.
[url]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/FlashGordon63/Quad%202016%20Spring/DSC02849_zps329dj3po.jpg[/URL]

Limited photos to not draw attention, or up-set all the good folks that showed up. I'll stay in contact with new pals I meet out there as well as Nordeggab and his many pals Wayne along with others that support all use activity for those that wish to access the area.
They ask for all of us to respect what is there and show good standing to everyone we encounter.

Pack in,,, Pack out as normal. Enjoy the stay by adding quality to what we all have, feel free to PM'ing me if thing don't seem right as the good folks in area can quickly address stuff that needs attention. There is lots of human power in area to correct most every thing that comes along.

Thanks too the many on S&M,,, Locals and my self for towing the line of support as we move foreword at keeping the dream alive. My plan is to join the (BHAS) as it will add quantity with quality. Each of us could do the same when it works out for you,,, joining a group in your area would be appreciated as you will benefit long term in knowing what's going on local and meeting new friends that like the same thing.

More to post on my 5 day ride.

Pal Lem as we find out where 420 bro comes from... LOL.

I made it in your thread! Feeling accomplished!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all knowing western traveller,hows the road from nordegg north to grave flats we've never been there from the south and we're planning to head to ruby falls sunday after the snow and mud jamborree in july.

The Forestry Trunk Road is "normally" good when dry, but during & after a rain storm it adds wash board, drive slow threw choppy stuff as it will all work out. Frist river bridge is Black-Stone, the second is Brazzoo, then at the top of the hill you will spot the Cardinal Indian Band sign,,, Follow that West to the hamlet and keep going West on the wash-board/ choppy road to a large Y.

Road North is Pembina Rd and the trail West is the beginning of Mountain Park Rd. The Y is Grave Flats. "I think."
Go 6 kms ish from Y to the Cardinal Look-Out tower, then return to road and back track 2 kms to Ruby Falls trial in,,, that's the path I did to get there. The trail in across the road from Look-Out has a mean side hill and swamp past that. I'm non-tech, so picking the easier works.

Pal Don as I'm still learning the names of areas since my plan was to ride no where some where, Ha.

Welcome to all as its a thrill to share ideas and plans that get us going.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the new to me F-150 with aluminum deck packing to sleds is darn near ready to roll, Ha.

Some good dinosaur mileage too. 98 L tank to this works for me.

Home made top-box ramp set up made by Jeathrow Bowdean Astor-not-not Inc.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little more fabing to get tail-gate to close, idea is going to work good since I pack more junk in the little band-wagon then the Dodge lumber packer, should of done the rear tool box in it years ago

365/24 home away from home is set up less fridge and stove that gets mounted this week. Little genny 1000 is ready to rock !!!

Had time to run my old truck around the block too. 87 years strong that gets better fuel mileage then most smart cars.

4 cylinder with 4 speed in front of 3 speed A-box, comes with 2 1/4 ton leaf package to pack newer F-150 with aluminum sled deck and 2 sleds on top of that.
38 mpg at a whopping 42 mpr if you set the distributer and carb levers in the cab too ultimate spot.

Unit is now on its second body work over with 1 million + miles across most of Western Canada hauling every thing and any thing known to humans.

Pal Don

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been fairly busy at work, but had time too add 7700 lb road kit to old ford when the track kit quad thing happens this winter

Added a few things to cab camping system too. Ha.

One can never have too much stuff for 7 too 10 day outtings.

Glad my sleeping on the ground days are done with too.
Bears and I don't mix.

Bears with cubs defiantly make hard shell camping a must.

Always time too organize system every morning so when I reture from ride I can eat, wif-fry the web and head to bed for next days ride.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every thing has its place.

Passengers side bear proof food kit,,, well not grizzly bear proof, Ha.

So pack, pack, and pack system for camping rig as well as quad packing system.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back into keeping notes again of quading areas, critter finds, fish spots, and major game trails that change threw out the year. Easy too do with morning coffee.

Lots of room in the office after breakfast.

Standard and metric tool system and emergency Tim Hortons/ Star Bucks coffee out let of many kinds of brew house, Ha.
Lap top and -60 below Baffin Island suit on this side since one never knows when its going to snow in July and August.

1000 watt genny every night for heater/ air flow fan,,, always put away every day. 9 hours running on ECU or 7 1/2 on full throttle. best 1.7 L of fuel spent keeping operation back woods going.

Quad packs riding gear full time now that boxes have pad locks.

Glad I had the extra winch line a few days back, and handy too get at. Chain saw gets back seat when I get to fallen down tree cut lines.

A few truck supplies find home under the hood. Gas hoses. BB cables, and oils when needed as well as riding grea drying rack when motor is warmed up,,, Ha. Boots dry in less then an hour under hood at 60 mpr.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Non OHV activity back here.

This trail hasn't been used since last year. Lots of game tracks and hidden lakes off grid.

100's of miles of un used cut lines that no one uses works for me.

End-less swamps to. light quad float over them with ease.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been riding with CSA/ OSA hard hat beany to save the little brain power I have, Kows been going out on rides with me too. She likes quading.

Found 1 of the 639 digger rigs working, the rig count is 40 in Western Canada drilling so far. "3 weeks ago that is."

Oh yha, relax time.

What a awesome way too spend the day.

Found the 2nd water spot 10 miles from other lake,,, non fish lakes by the way,,, still good for swimming in though. Very clean.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had time to spin the wheels on the Uoot after the heavy down poor.

Oil roads went too h@!! in a hand basket, Ha.

Oil field trucks with out tire chains are working double over time now, LOL. Just like Fox Creek slim/ gum-ball on every road up this way.

Shes game over if unit gets out of the ruts since the ditches will slow it down. Seen big rigs stuck on this hill many a times.

In door kitchen on rainy days, yum yum.

Found out that old lumber wagon is worth $2500 buck-a-roos, so it now becomes farm wagon for kows to scratch, ha.

Old girl gets 2 gear oil under chassy spray jobs to prevent rust per year, so time for a under coating before going into storage.

Might do some small service work on it so we can use it as back up bush runner since it ain't worth nothing.
Been a good ride it has !

New too me ride is working out good as it will be heading south this winter to quad AZ and area. Good on gas works for me.

No trailer too pull and easy too get around, fuel range, frugal to buy and own, and practical for my needs of hwy & gravel roads some where in America.

Pal Lem living the dream.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happy Canada/ USA day all, from Lem Lamb and all my furry friends.

Move the kows too next pasture so I could get away on a lost adventure.

2 of my pals joined in on this outing since they like to travel. Front row stand room only.

Spotted this rig in route West, and the bring a boat idea might be something too plan on with the quad.

Top Bottom