Life Insurance

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow what horse chit. Increased deaths in the media? They should have to back that up with some real data, per capita mountain sledding is actually damn safe!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you say "no I'm not a snowmobiler" and get killed on a snowmobile, its probably void too.....

Yup, exactly.

Mine was voided for mountain snowmobiling unless i wanted to
Pay like triple the fees.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not really a secret that insurance companies are all dicks. They want you to leave or get more money from you. They have already taken your money for x number of years and are willing to let you walk away and take the win, with what you have already paid.

4mcntrls

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sunlight must have changed their policy terms since I got mine. There was no issue a few years ago. Try manulife I got a new policy a bit ago there was no problem with snowmobiling or jet boat racing. Also try great west life.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What insurance carrier are you guys with?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

No idea but its a great price and its 1.5mil first to die, i only go out west once a year and avy risks low where i go so i dont care.

If i went more and went to other places and higher risk areas i would either switch or pay the extra

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put in to get some new quotes with the recreational mountain sledding on there. I have been told that many carriers don't do risk assessments so should be able to find some. Will let anyone know what carriers will cover sledders.

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be asking who gave them permission to share your personal info with another insurance company, especially since there's been no claim.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What insurance carrier are you guys with?

I am through London Life, as long as I didn't race sledding was no issue. I even asked about mountain sledding as I didn't want to take a chance, die on a hill and leave my wife homeless once they found out how and where I died

Sent from my iPad using

Atraz

Reaction score
Nice thread. We are currently in the process of applying for life insurance. Our insurance adviser "advised" us to be straight up with the companies we are applying to because if something does happen in the first 2 years they will grease you out of a claim. Basically my backcountry skiing and sledding is the reason we are getting the insurance so we don't want any surprises (this is insurance after all). We applied to more than one company at the same time hoping that there will not be an "exclusion" or "rate increase" for at least one of them. Our adviser did mention that if one company puts an exclusion on you it can screw you with some of the others. However, apparently some insurance companies might be more eager than others to get the business of certain demographics (younger skiers and sledders) so shopping around definitely couldn't hurt. A good broker not tied to an individual provider is probably a good idea. I'll let you know how it goes. Should hear back within a month or so...

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd look around at different insurance companies. My wife and I are insured through Co-Operators....so far so good, although nobody has died yet. The sole reason for insurance was mountain sledding. The guys were in my yard, sleds were on the deck and trailer, and my wife figured that I should have life insurance before I go. I ripped uptown, sat through 30 some pages of questions and a tongue swab (I was a smoker at the time), and 2 hours later, was on my way with a whole life insurance policy. I made sure they knew I rode in the hills, it made no difference whatsoever. The only thing my policy wouldn't cover was suicide within two years...after that, I was free to eat a bullet and they'd pay up.

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for this great information. Norm I am bringing to agree with your statement.

I have a broker who had mentioned Manulife, Co-operaters & Great West are carriers he mentioned. We were completely honest and asked for several quotes. I will let you all know what I find out. Should know in the next day or two.

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the update Transamerica is fully insuring us with full disclosure as to our snowmobile activities. They are rating us with standard rates. We are very happy with the rates we have received and the service. If anyone is looking for life insurance that covers snowmobiling try Transamerica.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Jeepchic are you guys happy with your life insurance policies and what are the rates if you don't mind me asking. Updating my life insurance policy that I have with London Life and they wanted to increase my premiums $2.50 / $1000 dollars of coverage which is insane since my policy is for a mill. The latest quote I received from our broker for a separate policy for coverage of back country snowmobiling is $600/yr for $500,000 of coverage, double that for a million coverage.

Indy245

Reaction score
Old post but any new recommendations on a sledder friendly life insurance company?

Was just asked to sign a waiver that TD Insurance will not cover me if I go into the back country. Will not be using them going forward.

Top Bottom