licence plate on sled

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys just wondering what the requirements are for a plate being on a sled, do you have to mount it on the tunnel or can i just have it in my underseat storage thanks

Ful trottle

Reaction score
I read on here as long as it's on you,you would be okay don't have to mount, I am not mounting on sled its in the tunnel bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
hey guys just wondering what the requirements are for a plate being on a sled, do you have to mount it on the tunnel or can i just have it in my underseat storage thanks
I think it depends on where you are from. In BC, it is on the front, the back or the left hand side of the exterior of the sled according to the legislation.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Front or back mounted in Alberta.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'm from Alberta so front or back!? Like snow flap?? Or back of the tunnel thanks

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
c251b83d85a514355a0b708f85c7772d.jpg

https://www.snowandmud.com/showthread.php?t=101559

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been stopped before in Alberta. Guy asked to see ins. and registration. Never mentioned anything about plates being in our tunnel bags. But it maybe depends a lot on the officer doing the stop and the attitude of the guy being stopped as to whether or not the plate being mounted would be an issue. JMI.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been stopped before in Alberta. Guy asked to see ins. and registration. Never mentioned anything about plates being in our tunnel bags. But it maybe depends a lot on the officer doing the stop and the attitude of the guy being stopped as to whether or not the plate being mounted would be an issue. JMI.

I've been Checked in Alberta and was told that the plate has to been affixed to the sled and visible. I asked if where I had mine mounted on the flap was good and he said yes. Others in our group did not have them affixed to the sled abut were able to produce a plate out of their tunnel bags. They were told that he could give them a ticket for not having them affixed. He let them off with a verbal warning.

couple years back at the Renshaw. Park Guy along with Forestry Guy were up on a information tour offering up answers to any questions that we might have and to inform us that registration was going to be mandatory the following year. When asked if Alberta registration is recognized the answer was yes. They also told us that the plate had to be affixed to the sled. They were both very pleasant about it and we thanked them for the information.

Just a couple of my experiences with the law.

My response to answers like "Yep tunnel bag, never been stopped" and "I read on here as long as it's on you,you would be okay don't have to mount, I am not mounting on sled its in the tunnel bag " is mount the damn plate on the flap and stop bucking the system.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big Nasty, you just won't give in will you! Hah! Law says it has to be mounted in BC, I don't see many people driving around without plates on their trucks, same law applies so don't know why you wouldn't adhere to the one with sleds, somewhat baffling. Contrary to what others have said about mounting it on the snow flap, mines been there and I've ripped and stripped pretty much whatever when sledding this season and it's still there! Not sure why its such a big deal to fasten it there, but that's sledders! Well, some of them..........

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They where checking sort of today at owlshead at the end of the day

Checked a few, never checked me, never asked

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They checked me I didn't have my plate with me he said that's ok just checked my reg made sure it matched my sled and that's it . Really cool guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perhaps some sledders rip everything of there sleds when they hard core ride. I just picked up a new pro and tore the dam flap off twice?... Besides I like making them work for there money. If they want to see it I'll show um but mounting it I will not. Not sure what this tax grab is for anyhow...are the sleds less likely to be ripped off? Fake plates and reg are a easy thing to duplicate. Do the c/o rcmp or Mof have a data base that tracks the sled Reg?
This feels like the gun regerstry. We all know what that cost the tax payers and yet people are still getting shot. Mmmmmm

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at Boulder yesterday. There was a fish cop (BC Conservation Officer) at the booth and in the parking lot. Here is what he told me. 1) The idiots riding in the caribou closer start the enforcement action on plates being display on sleds. 2) If your sled is registered in BC you can use a sticker replicating the plate. 3) If your vehicle/sleds is registered in another province or state the legislation of that province or state will be enforced, he further stated that my sled registered in Alberta will require the actual plate be displayed on the left hand side of the tunnel. 4) That enforcement action will follow in the future.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at Boulder yesterday. There was a fish cop (BC Conservation Officer) at the booth and in the parking lot. Here is what he told me. 1) The idiots riding in the caribou closer start the enforcement action on plates being display on sleds. 2) If your sled is registered in BC you can use a sticker replicating the plate. 3) If your vehicle/sleds is registered in another province or state the legislation of that province or state will be enforced, he further stated that my sled registered in Alberta will require the actual plate be displayed on the left hand side of the tunnel. 4) That enforcement action will follow in the future.

Well he is not correct about the AB requirements. Which is why I keep a laminated copy of page 10 from the AB OHV regulation in my tunnel bag.

Licence plates18
(1) The Registrar must issue an off-highway licence plate for anoff-highway vehicle if the Registrar issues a certificate ofregistration for the off-highway vehicle.
(2) The Registrar must issue off-highway vehicle licence plates inthe number and of the type and colour approved by the Minister.
(3) The owner of an off-highway vehicle must attach the licenceplate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of theoff-highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible.

As far as the location of my plate. If required it meets the regs.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To all those that are promoting not displaying the plate don't come around whining when you get a fine for not displaying it.
Yes, it is only a matter of time before that starts to happen.
All aspects of the legislation will eventually be enforced and you can be sure there will be cash collected. ( After all this is B.C. )

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This info I pasted is from B.C. Off-road vehicle Act & Reglations as of Oct 15/15.

Where do I mount the number plate or sticker to comply with the ORV Act regulations?

[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]The number plate or sticker must be clearly visible on the front, back or left exterior of the vehicle and fastened in a horizontal position. In the case of motorcycles, a sticker may be attached in a vertical position on the left front fork with the first number/letter at the bottom of the fork. [/FONT][/FONT]

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This info I pasted is from B.C. Off-road vehicle Act & Reglations as of Oct 15/15.

Where do I mount the number plate or sticker to comply with the ORV Act regulations?

The number plate or sticker must be clearly visible on the front, back or left exterior of the vehicle and fastened in a horizontal position. In the case of motorcycles, a sticker may be attached in a vertical position on the left front fork with the first number/letter at the bottom of the fork.
this info is correct, if your sled or vehicle is registered in BC. I Was with keith at Boulder yesterday and th officer said and to recap what Keith pointed out is. You must follow the guidelines for the province you are registered in. If you are registered in Alberta then the bc law enforcement will require you mount your plate in the position it would be required in Alberta which is the front or back of the sled, and so forth for the other provinces. I turned my plate into a sticker and stuck it on the left side of tunnel which is allowed for bc registered sleds but because I'm not registered in bc and Alberta only has the metal plates it didn't pass. So for myself I'm not sure what I'm gonna do as I refuse to drill through the tunnel.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a great pic but it's exact size of my plate. On left side of tunnel. No drilling cause it's a sticker. Can someone tell me why this isnt good enough? I'm starting to wonder if this really has to do with the caribou.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always mounted my plates from AB on the left side of the tunnel using double sided tape. The contour of the plate requires you to double layer the tape then the outer edge of the plate will be flush with the surface it's mounted on. Just make sure to use good 3M tape.

I know it's not on the front or rear for AB but I have been checked here and never had a concern raised regarding location. I also have never had a problem catching anything on it, it's never been in the way and have never lost a plate. When it's time to sell the sled just warm up the backside of the tunnel with a heat gun and pry the plate off slowly.

Top Bottom