Let’s talk skid steers with tracks?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just recently got rid of our tracked machine as we are going to get a small loader. I would take a tracked machine over tires any day. They work great every ware but its hard on tracks on hardpack. We used on gravel consistently with no issues at all and plowed snow with it for years and it would push more snow than any tired machine, as well you can drive over the snow and keep your piles high and pushed back. We would go through idlers every few years due to our own fault of carrying heavy loads a distance. Best thing we did when we put new tracks on it was put a camoplast winter/summer track on it. excellent grip and you could push and actually stall the machine at full throttle they gripped to well.
If your tracked machine pushed more snow than a tire machine there us something wrong lol.
I had a 289 cat and it would hardly get out of its own way in the snow. Put 400 carbide screw in studs to make it work.
The winter tracks helped but at $4000 it is not worth it. For winter can't beat a tire machine and chains. You can get away with winter tires in the city but for my application at the ski resort chains are king.
For a summer machine on dirt tracked is the only way to go imo.

Top Bottom