Left me stranded! 06 M7 ECU started smoking and melted?

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
So this happened to me on saturday in the North Door. Was playing around in a meadow and noticed the tach flickered funny so I stopped and popped the hood. Then I noticed the ECU ,or computer whatever you call it, had smoke billowing out of it. Shut the machine off, pulled firewall cover off and checked all wiring from handlebars to the computer. Couldn't find any rubbed through or even any warm wires. Pulled off the ECU and it has a bunch of stuff melted on the bottom side. Sled ran for another 200ft and then would not re-start. I had to tow it out. Any one know what could cause this? Maybe an internal failure in the box? Also apon closer inspection the ECU had a small crack on the bottom side. Maybe moisture got in and fried it? The day before I had snow ingestion problems with my bdx intake. Just don't want this to happen again computers are not cheap!:d:p
Thanks

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little note for yah, If you were riding in the north dore i wonder if you were aware that you were riding in a cariboo closure area. Which means a person aren't supposed to be riding there. The ministry people are useing this season as an information year to get the info out, next year they will be patroling it and handing out tickets. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that it was closed. Buit on the other item i have never heard of a M7 comp melting. I would say that it was a comp issue itself.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Just a little note for yah, If you were riding in the north dore i wonder if you were aware that you were riding in a cariboo closure area. Which means a person aren't supposed to be riding there. The ministry people are useing this season as an information year to get the info out, next year they will be patroling it and handing out tickets. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that it was closed. Buit on the other item i have never heard of a M7 comp melting. I would say that it was a comp issue itself.

Many appologies. Our group was guided in and I had no idea it was closed. Our guide said something about it being closed earlier for skiers, but said nothing about caiboo closures. I know this isn't a great excuse but i want to make it clear that I am not one of those guys who dosen't care about the riding areas. :eek: I should know by now to get the info my self and not trust others. Awwwwg!:mad: The damn guide should have known. Anyway back to figuring out why my computer fried. Any more ideas?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was actually a comon problem with people who rode without the stock hood on. Voltage spikes fried the ecu cause there wasnt enough draw.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
It was actually a comon problem with people who rode without the stock hood on. Voltage spikes fried the ecu cause there wasnt enough draw.

I have never ran without the hood but I guess I dont know what the last guy did? It was running very erratic the day before I bet it was starting to screw up then and I didn't know it.

Last edited:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have removed the headlights you can fry the comp if you dont install a resistor into the system. We have maps available at out shop or visit Fish and Wildlife - Environment - Province of British Columbia The area's for around mcride concerning the dore are #20 cariboo river closure,#19 mt halverson closure. Just thought this might help as they also give gps co-ordinates for pinpointing closure limits.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
If you have removed the headlights you can fry the comp if you dont install a resistor into the system. We have maps available at out shop or visit Fish and Wildlife - Environment - Province of British Columbia The area's for around mcride concerning the dore are #20 cariboo river closure,#19 mt halverson closure. Just thought this might help as they also give gps co-ordinates for pinpointing closure limits.

Thanks Glen. Headlights are in. Will make sure to stop buy and get a map on the next trip.
Dustin

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool. Do you know if any of the original electronic have been removed? Because if not then i'm really leanin towards it just bein the comp malfunctionin.

magnet32

Reaction score
my m8 fried ecu last year , didn't put wire's back properly under feul tank . check under there ,just held with tape from factory. mine wore through on bulkhead .good luck.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
my m8 fried ecu last year , didn't put wire's back properly under feul tank . check under there ,just held with tape from factory. mine wore through on bulkhead .good luck.

Were these the wires for the tailight? I don't have a tailight at the moment so there is no wires there... Good lead though. That means that a wire shorting out could have caused this. I will keep on hunting. Don't want to install a new ecu and blow another. Wait... If I don't have a tail light drawing all the time would that be enough load off the system to cook the the ecu? Hmmmmmm:confused:

magnet32

Reaction score
my coils and revers wiring under there,check voltage regulator,might be fried to.mine was. your tail light shouldn't be a problem ,unless it grounds out.

mike5945

Reaction score
Were these the wires for the tailight? I don't have a tailight at the moment so there is no wires there... Good lead though. That means that a wire shorting out could have caused this. I will keep on hunting. Don't want to install a new ecu and blow another. Wait... If I don't have a tail light drawing all the time would that be enough load off the system to cook the the ecu? Hmmmmmm:confused:

It will be enough of a lack-of-load. I know of two being fried from a broken wire to the speed sensor.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
It will be enough of a lack-of-load. I know of two being fried from a broken wire to the speed sensor.

Haven't had a chance to check out the sled but if there is no shorted wires this is starting to make sense. I installed a new d-drive and when I went to pull out the old speed sensor it broke so there isn't one installed. So now I have no tail light and no speed sensor to pull load on the system.

cobbycat

Reaction score
we have experienced this a couple times, both times it was related to a faulty voltage regulator. replace it before you fry another like we did!!!

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Eureka! Found the power wire for the power valve servo motor was rubbed through and shorting to ground. This would cause the sled to erratically go into limp mode and fry the ecu. I am also replacing the voltage reg just to be safe. Inspected the entire harness and nothing else is wrong. Hope this fixed it. Now just need to find an ecu. Anybody got one?

Top Bottom