Larry the hermit, Long Island Lake

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have just heard that Larry who lived in a cabin up at Long Island Lake has passed away, does anyone know what happened. Does anyone know if a memorial is to be made for him? Someone would like to make one if one is not being done. Also if anyone has more details of his life That would be appreciated too. Thanks.
20131005_151803_resized.jpg

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's too bad, we visited him once. He told us some neat stories about how he survives in the bush. Interesting fellow !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk -

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That really is too bad. I talked to him a couple times or waved as we went by. It is one of the hind sight things but would love to hear his story too if anyone knows. Seemed like a really nice guy.

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand a tree fell on him while he was trying to pull it over with his quad. The memorial was in Athabasca last Saturday, well over 100 people attended, and there was some pretty heartwarming stories told. He's been cremated and I'm not sure exactly where his ashes would be spread ( the card said the urn would be at the Athabasca Cemetary), there was some discussion about spreading his ashes around his cabin, my hearings lousy, could'nt make out half the discussion.
I'll scan the funeral card tommorow at work and post it. Ya, he was a pretty good guy, going to miss him.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's really too bad. We met him a couple times, the last was in the spring. We were talking over muff pot hotdogs, when the first goose of the spring flew over head honking. Larry explained that it was "the 'Lone Captain', he arrives at this time every year." like he knew him as well as his dog. Never did find out if there was any fact to that, I lean more towards him having fun at our expense! What else would you do if you were up there all alone?

Top Bottom