Land Use Canada

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel the best way to encourage public sector authorities to do what we want is to form a PAC (Political Action Committee). Will require associations, dealers, manufacturers, riders, clubs and enthusiasts to come together.

Funding is key, a full time group and like lobbyists to gain traction and maintain pressure in the right areas.

Without an all in effort, I really don't see any change to what is occurring now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point JRB, I need to ask since I'm not Q'd into this stuff. What is a PAC (Political Action Committee, and what type of folks is it made up by,,, I would guess it would be the following organizations you mentioned, snowmobile & atv folk on this form as well as the general public here in Alberta ?

Wyoming is about 400 to 500.000 thousand folks and they pulled it off gaining atv use on hwy's and towns through much of the State, but I would guess Alberta at 2 million plus would have a hard time doing it since there would not be enough interest in tackling such a program. Maybe that is.

Last edited:

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point JRB, I need to ask since I'm not Q'd into this stuff. What is a PAC (Political Action Committee, and what type of folks is it made up by,,, I would guess it would be the following organizations you mentioned, snowmobile & atv folk on this form as well as the general public here in Alberta ?

Wyoming is about 400 to 500.000 thousand folks and they pulled it off gaining atv use on hwy's and towns through much of the State, but I would guess Alberta at 2 million plus would have a hard time doing it since there would not be enough interest in tackling such a program. Maybe that is.

A type of association in the USA and Canada where it's a registered lobbyist and has the ability to raise money from the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a interesting site from Arizona that covers OHV use in this State. >>> https://www.azgfd.com/Recreation

Click on the "Off Highway Logo" to access info of how the decal permit system works down there, they have a huge amount of supports near 7 million.

Interesting how many clubs and organizations rally behind this sport. The other 22 USA States would of had to do the same thing as well. Looks like a massive under taking.

Last edited:

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
We have an in town multi use trail system in Elkford. Our ATV club does the majority of the maintainance. Town plate and additional Govt insurance are required, plus a permit from the RCMP to cross the pavement at designated spots. Lots of abuse to the system by people not respecting the privledge to ride in town. Noise and speed are the two big complaints.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes MM, I forgot about riding that area for 2 years in 2007/08 as I meet up with many of the awesome quad folks down there. We did the Elkford West and North to the big cut-line on the other side of the river once we crossed the bridge,,, 30 some odd kms from town it was... They took us to the under ground coal burn then to the top of a mountain that was once a fire out-look... Hope to return some day.

Sorry too hear about the speed & noise thing that is going on as Mackenzie BC was battling the same thing, so they limited the sleds to one small staging area in town to prevent units in the down town core and housing area. Maybe they have lifted the band since then,,, doo-no !

This would be the biggest concern of doing the work to allow quads to ride ditches or roads in our area around Lacombe/ Red Deer as the 0.02% would wreck it for the rest of us in the first year. Councillors would never allow it any ways since an acreage folks would never come on-board.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sylvan Lake AB band quads and snowmobiles a few years back, it seemed strange since it is a recreation town that has all kinds of out door activities on the go.

This year it looks like they have "relaxed" the use of sleds in town "kinda" as the restriction plan is still on the books,,, only time will tell.

The reason I enjoied the days gone by was the ability for me to drive my quad from Clive AB to Chain Lk's East of Ponoka by gravel road/ ditches/ and fields "with farmer permistion" that I know well.
My next rides were from Clive to Blackfalds AB to work that was 45 kms by gravel road, or 39 by catching the rail road access. 100 ish km days both ways that took 1 1/2 hours of slow riding on my honda 350.

The next following years was trips from Clive to hwy 22/53 corner when hunting & fishing it worked out to 250 to 325 km days mostly by gravel roads, a small section of hwy along the shoulder, and machinery roads and cut-lines...

I racked up 20 or 22.000 kms that year on 2 sets of stock quad tires with tire chains in the wet stuff, didn't need then very often as I stayed on the easier trails less the swamp crossings.

It was lots of fun idling along the farm land roads taking my time to go places as there was no hurry getting any where. Would be nice to have access to shoulders of gravel roads in our area, but things have changed over the years.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent some time in Newfoundland last year checking out different ATV areas across all of North America, and one that I really like was the Port Bass to North Sydnie. They allow atv on the ferry to cross at $89 one way, then you can pretty much drive the 830 kms across The Rock... Very atv/ Sled friendly place so long as you do not drive your unit into a bog...

They added section 59/05 to the law giving the rcmp the right to charge operators $250 plus reclamation fees by the Province could be added to the cost There were millions of recreation trails every where, and this is on my return list.

Newfoundland T'Railways - KM Guide

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
High Prairie ab is the same thing... can ride through town to the first trail... just show common sence on the way and it's never been a problem

I hope that everyone continues too use common sence STN, this is the plan where I live, but it only took about 5 to 7 instances over a short period of time too have it all shut down...

The ones that stand out down here is the crop damage qtv ride in a farmers field West of Sylvan lake followed by the same act on the East side of town.
ATV chase throw the Town of Lacombe years back, then the atv ride on the hiking trials on the East side of Gull lake, it just happened again on the cross country ski trails a few weeks ago as a quad tore up many kms of plowed trails...

I could go on, but we all get the point that it only takes 1 or 2 to wreck it for everyone any where in Canada, Newfoundland handed out 25 charges of folks driving their units into swamps/bogs that brought about the 59/05 law out there.

Using finds and jail time for those that brake the law makes sense since it would allow the rest of us to gain access to what gravel roads and edges of highways we once had. I see the point of the powers too be that it is way easier to prevent atv/ sled use that prevents further issues from continuing. Sad but true.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope that everyone continues too use common sence STN, this is the plan where I live, but it only took about 5 to 7 instances over a short period of time too have it all shut down...

The ones that stand out down here is the crop damage qtv ride in a farmers field West of Sylvan lake followed by the same act on the East side of town.
ATV chase throw the Town of Lacombe years back, then the atv ride on the hiking trials on the East side of Gull lake, it just happened again on the cross country ski trails a few weeks ago as a quad tore up many kms of plowed trails...

I could go on, but we all get the point that it only takes 1 or 2 to wreck it for everyone any where in Canada, Newfoundland handed out 25 charges of folks driving their units into swamps/bogs that brought about the 59/05 law out there.

Using finds and jail time for those that brake the law makes sense since it would allow the rest of us to gain access to what gravel roads and edges of highways we once had. I see the point of the powers too be that it is way easier to prevent atv/ sled use that prevents further issues from continuing. Sad but true.

I think the fact that cops are not allowed to chase recreational vehicles for these very minor offences is why its shut down... cops get burned a couple of times... sit down have a meeting with town counsel and boom... fun is dead! we need to do a better job of policing ourselves and in town when the cops shows up to said idiot tearing it up... just as he leaves with the one finger wave for the cop... someone just has to point the cop out to his house

now on a whole new note? We have a family cabin that gets snowed in every year... the only road access to get in becomes a groomed snowmobile trail... is it wrong for me to atv over that?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I think the fact that cops are not allowed to chase recreational vehicles for these very minor offences is why its shut down... cops get burned a couple of times... sit down have a meeting with town counsel and boom... fun is dead! we need to do a better job of policing ourselves and in town when the cops shows up to said idiot tearing it up... just as he leaves with the one finger wave for the cop... someone just has to point the cop out to his house

now on a whole new note? We have a family cabin that gets snowed in every year... the only road access to get in becomes a groomed snowmobile trail... is it wrong for me to atv over that?
Yes. It is. If it weren't groomed, then have at er.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you on the groomed trail pass your cabin STN, did you get a chance to talk with the county or MD on how you and family would access your cabin ?

Both high speed chases threw our town continued over long periods of time by the 2 folks as they continued to egg it on them selves.

One was seriously injured when he was pinned between the police cruiser and parked car trying a 3rd attempt to flee impaired. It made the National news since it is against the law to endanger anyone's life no matter what. The injured chase was a snowmobile person that was ripping threw the down town core a few times, then on the public golf course.

The quad person got away as he spread his chase out on the North end of town and did his get-away by cutting threw a farms hay crop. Our family knows the farmer, and he was some p!!!ed, so now his land is fenced off.

Both people egged it on in there cases, and others as well when the town past a law not allowing atv's and sleds into town. Sad indeed.

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
I saw the post on FB about the coalition. This is my own rant and do not wish it to be attached to the company I work with.

98% of OHV users Summer and Winter follow the rules, these user groups also each year buy their Memberships so their Clubs and Associations can afford to protect the areas that they ride in. 98% of OHV users are the ones that clear and clean the trails by organizing weekends and putting the effort into making them passable. 98% of Sledders also ATV/Camp in the summer. I have yet to see posts on any news page of a walking/hiking group organizing a clean up weekend on any trails. If you have posts like that please feel free to share them because I asure you we would ALL like to see evidence of that. Also in the winter it is the sledders that take to the mountains and pay trail fees, eat in restaurants, pay for hotel rooms, buy gas and snacks that boost a communities economy. I have seen MANY other groups sneak into free breakfasts, cook in their room and pack rooms with 6 or more people to keep their costs down. So please think a little before you condem them as all idiots that should be walking. There is enough room for all involved and I personally know of quite a lot of territory in BC and AB that is only accessible to walking, pedal bikes and horses. So these groups are NOT under represented here. The OHV users are only asking to keep the area's that they have and for their efforts to be recognized instead of villanized.

Dawn

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree Zacs as a huge % of us OHV folks pull our weight at respecting our lands Canada wide, and the bridges and trails are top notch in the Coalman Area.
My plan up here in our Rocky Mountain House area is too fix up the trails that are already in place, fix the shallow trickle crossing too prevent units from widening them out. Not the creeks as they are off limits to natural erosion. I'm a fisher-dude that has no need to disturb my fly-fishing sport.

The quad squad is a good bunch of folks that I have meet down there, but it would be nice too have a all in "Alberta Group" to have voice.

This thread idea is exactly that, a information gathering tool to ask questions about all land issues across Canada/ Provinces, relating to any-thing and every-thing. It all boils down to becoming a national group of like-mind folks that go after many common goals like the quad squad Coalman group, Wetaswin atv riders, Rocky Mt House ohv group, and Grande Praire if there is one up there.

This should included the snowmobile folks as well since ohv is tracks and tires. Only time will tell if something like this will work here in Canada as it is well proven in the USA over 22 States and growing.

Not sure how they pulled it off, but they got at it before their government shut every thing down. They were lucky too back track many trails to re-open, and gain access to fuel stations in towns & cities, gravel roads as well as hwy's.

It would be nice too try something like this up here, but no one has the time or interest yet... I for one would be on board, but that ain't enough to take on the battle.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. It is. If it weren't groomed, then have at er.

okay... its a public road... and our only access.. what's a guy to do? Not being an ass hat... but i was threatened that if i did my cabin would be vandalized... wrong answer... i pay taxes there i keep that remote piece of road open year round and now they've just gone and made me mad

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
okay... its a public road... and our only access.. what's a guy to do? Not being an ass hat... but i was threatened that if i did my cabin would be vandalized... wrong answer... i pay taxes there i keep that remote piece of road open year round and now they've just gone and made me mad
Wait, what? They're grooming a snowmobile trail onto a public road?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw the post on FB about the coalition. This is my own rant and do not wish it to be attached to the company I work with.

98% of OHV users Summer and Winter follow the rules, these user groups also each year buy their Memberships so their Clubs and Associations can afford to protect the areas that they ride in. 98% of OHV users are the ones that clear and clean the trails by organizing weekends and putting the effort into making them passable. 98% of Sledders also ATV/Camp in the summer. I have yet to see posts on any news page of a walking/hiking group organizing a clean up weekend on any trails. If you have posts like that please feel free to share them because I asure you we would ALL like to see evidence of that. Also in the winter it is the sledders that take to the mountains and pay trail fees, eat in restaurants, pay for hotel rooms, buy gas and snacks that boost a communities economy. I have seen MANY other groups sneak into free breakfasts, cook in their room and pack rooms with 6 or more people to keep their costs down. So please think a little before you condem them as all idiots that should be walking. There is enough room for all involved and I personally know of quite a lot of territory in BC and AB that is only accessible to walking, pedal bikes and horses. So these groups are NOT under represented here. The OHV users are only asking to keep the area's that they have and for their efforts to be recognized instead of villanized.

Dawn

we had the same problem down in the LMD years ago in an area called Vedder MTN... all those trails were opened up 1 buy logging then kept as trails by dirt bike riders... enter in urban sprawl... and soon hikers and mtn bikers claimed ownership... thanks to organizations like west coast dirt bike riders we are still allowed to ride the mnt... the solution local gov't split the mtn in two... lower half for bike and upper half of motorized vehicles... not perfect but a good deal to keep everyone happy cause you all know the dirt bikes would have lost out

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait, what? They're grooming a snowmobile trail onto a public road?

lets call it a forest service road! It on a map only get used by hunters and my family to get to the cabin... its about 8 km of road of which the sledders use abotu the first 4 km

Top Bottom