KTM EXC Thumper - Shifting Gear

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went out for a ride into the valley behind Fernie ski hill last weekend.
Great ride until close to the end when I dumped the bike and myself into Sand Creek...a bit of a cold ride back to the truck for myself and the bike didn't seem to like it either.
I don't think dropping it into the creek was the issue (as it was still running and I had it stood up in a couple of seconds) but shortly after that it started to go into neutral between shifts and then did not want to change gears at all.
I got it into what I think was 4th gear and rode it back that way.

Anyone know what would have caused it to not want to shift gears and go into what seemed like neutral?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dump the oil and have a look. Maybe it is full of water

It is time for an oil change...I hope it is something as simple as that. I was too friggin cold to look at anything at the end of the ride - just put it in the trailer and went back for a hot tub!

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the shifter get bent or maybe pushed too far onto the splined shaft or the shaft got pushed into the tranny?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the shifter get bent or maybe pushed too far onto the splined shaft or the shaft got pushed into the tranny?

The bike fell onto the right side (and on top of my leg) so I don't think it got damaged that way although I hit the creek with a fair bit of speed to make sure I made it through without getting slowly bounced off - I may of hit a rock on the shifter midway through and not realized it. 4c and foggy at the valley bottom and I was soaking wet.
I left the bike in BC so I won't be able to take a look at until next time down to the cabin. Just trying to get some ideas on what to look at - I know my way around a dirt bike (on the outside) but not familiar at all with the inside of a KTM 4 stroke or tranny...

Top Bottom