Kodiak 400 buying suggestions

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, found a 95 Yamaha Kodiak 400 on Kijiji for $600 bucks. The guy said it had lost compression, so a rebuild is in order. Its located just outside Edson. Would you purchase it for $600 bucks? or would you walk away? Anything else i should be careful about buying this quad? Anything that is prone to failing?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, found a 95 Yamaha Kodiak 400 on Kijiji for $600 bucks. The guy said it had lost compression, so a rebuild is in order. Its located just outside Edson. Would you purchase it for $600 bucks? or would you walk away? Anything else i should be careful about buying this quad? Anything that is prone to failing?
You can easily spend 2000 bucks or more rebuilding a motor...take that into consideration.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can easily spend 2000 bucks or more rebuilding a motor...take that into consideration.

I agree with DaveB and you will still only have a 400, and you haven't even checked the clutches or the diffs or electrical. If you are a newbie leave it alone and spend the money on something that runs and you will still find things that will need fixing$$$ my thoughts

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys,

I have enough experience playing with motors (look up my "new factory shortblock" topic....) so i wasn't too bothered about rebuilding it, of course finding all the pieces is always fun. I was just curious if i did purchase this, what else are prone to failing on these quads? Are they reliable? or lemons?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are a good quad, for a 400. I wouldn't say no to one, do you have pics thsat you can post??? If not, no worries. Sight unseen, I'd go for it :D

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy sank his 400 outlander in the peace river in the spring when the water was running dirty and silted the engine bad, quad sat in the river overnight and was full of river silt. he drained everything (he thought) and fired it up and it ran for less than 10 minutes before it lost compression and quit. it was cheaper to buy a new engine, $1800. came complete with carb, clutches, coil, pretty much bolt in and go. pretty good deal I thought

Top Bottom