Kayaks

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a couple entry level kayaks for the upcoming summer season.
Seeing if anyone has any suggestions on where to buy or what to look for when buying.
Also plan on mounting them to a thule truck box rack (or similar) if anyone has any info on these set ups.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother in law has been looking for 6 months no luck finding used so he is probably going to buy new in the spring if nothing pops up.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DSC_3215 (Medium).jpg a couple of Pelican kayaks from Canadian tire on my Tule roof rack.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 10' Perception kayak. I bought it from Atmosphere ten years ago. Way better than the crap Pelican ones from Costco. Thicker plastic, better seats, and tracks amazing on the water. Spend the extra few hundred and buy something decent.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Old Town Sorrento 106 Kayaks that seam to work very well for myself and my wife. They have a drop down skeg that helps keep you going straight and a very comfortable adjustable seat. Do not cheap out on a seat, you could be in it for long periods of time if you take a liking to the sport. Mine also has adjustable foot rests. I purchased mine from Atmosphere/Sportchek, think they were like $1200 each. Do your research as kayaks do have a recommended safe load carrying capacity. I have a one ton longbox with a Rhino roof rack and just mount the kayaks upside down, side by side and ratchet strap them down. I pull a 36ft fifthwheel and have a couple feet clearance from the kayaks to the trailer. My kayaks are mounted further back than how Pipes has his mounted. I dont have the front support on mine as the tips of the kayaks are overhanging the windshield by about 2ft and do not obstruct my view. Sorry cant find any pictures.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Old Town Sorrento 106 Kayaks that seam to work very well for myself and my wife. They have a drop down skeg that helps keep you going straight and a very comfortable adjustable seat. Do not cheap out on a seat, you could be in it for long periods of time if you take a liking to the sport. Mine also has adjustable foot rests. I purchased mine from Atmosphere/Sportchek, think they were like $1200 each. Do your research as kayaks do have a recommended safe load carrying capacity. I have a one ton longbox with a Rhino roof rack and just mount the kayaks upside down, side by side and ratchet strap them down. I pull a 36ft fifthwheel and have a couple feet clearance from the kayaks to the trailer. My kayaks are mounted further back than how Pipes has his mounted. I dont have the front support on mine as the tips of the kayaks are overhanging the windshield by about 2ft and do not obstruct my view. Sorry cant find any pictures.

Can I bother you to get some pictures. I am truely interested in how you haul them. My method although effective is not the optimum.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have 2 Airis inflatable kayaks by Walker Bay. One of our best investments. Easy setup, easy take down, low storage space, tough and fun.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no issues with one the pelican one we got from costco last year, it is comfortable and stable in the water ( see the have them back in costco now again )
much better than the red pelican one from cambodian tire we bought for my daughter for christmas last year

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For anything outdoors related, used items are getting stupid prices. I would look at new. My sister has a pelican she found used a few years ago. Very stable, good entry level unit.
Costco for new is probably your nest bet. We also rented an extra one for a weekend trip from Totem. If you dont want to spend on new and cant find used, that might be an option?

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will get the roof rack on and mount the kayaks. Should be able to post some pictures for you by end of next week. The roof rack is made by Rhino, it has a slot on the top to which you can mount attachments. I made myself some small eyebolts to install in the slots to clip my ratchet straps for tieing down the kayaks individually.
Can I bother you to get some pictures. I am truely interested in how you haul them. My method although effective is not the optimum.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will get the roof rack on and mount the kayaks. Should be able to post some pictures for you by end of next week. The roof rack is made by Rhino, it has a slot on the top to which you can mount attachments. I made myself some small eyebolts to install in the slots to clip my ratchet straps for tieing down the kayaks individually.

Don't go out of your way to do this, It can wait until summer. No need to do a bunch of extra work for nothing.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rented a 10’ pelican and found that size too small for me(6’4”) i ended up spending $1200 on a new Pungo 12.5’. It is way more comfortable ( more leg room) , stable , has a huge opening and is easy to get in and out of. A good seat is important. I looked at the Thule setup and it was over $1000 and I didn’t like its setup. I ended up building a rack for my 5.5’ box that holds 2 -12’ kayaks and i can still tow my trailer.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've got a couple 10' Pelican kayaks for the boys, and a 17' Folbot folding tandem kayak for the wife and I. Both the Pelicans have add on keels, they really improve tracking. The Folbot has a rudder system which is nice. The Pelicans are great entry level kayaks, they will do fine if you're not a serious paddler.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont go less than 12’. I bought two(Ocean?)from Innerspace in Vernon last spring and we are very happy with them. One is a two seater, other is a fishing type unit.

Top Bottom