House heating options?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Im looking at HVAC options for my new revised plans for my Valemont property. The main floor is 1088 sf that has a garage, 1 bedroom, bathroom, drying room, entry and staircase. The second floor has 2 bedrooms, Bathroom, Kitchen, LR and DR. I was asked about heating options, I like the idea of underslab heating on the main floor, But would also want forced air to the living areas on main floor and for the second level. Then I can have provisions for air conditioning. Can I have a boiler that would service both the underslab heating and the 2nd Floor heating. I see there are Hydronic Air Handlers/Fan Coils for residential applications. Any system recommendations.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could do a combi boiler that could do all the heating and hot water in the place in one unit. Yes, they make coils to go in an air handler that you could also used for forced air.

What's going to fuel the boiler? Does Valemont have natural gas, or is this propane or electric?

Just a thought, being this is a vacation home, it may be beneficial to use a combi-boiler to heat the hot water and floor, and a seperate (gas fired or whatever) furnace for the forced air. This way the system is redundant and the place doesn't freeze if either the boiler or furnace go down. I can't imagine a basic gas furnace would cost you much more if any.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An option for that may be a Navien combi unit boiler with an indirect tank for hot water and a coil unit for forced air for the second floor. Model # is a Navien NFB-301C. I was looking at replacing our hot water tank, boiler & furnace all with one unit

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
You could do a combi boiler that could do all the heating and hot water in the place in one unit. Yes, they make coils to go in an air handler that you could also used for forced air.

What's going to fuel the boiler? Does Valemont have natural gas, or is this propane or electric?

Just a thought, being this is a vacation home, it may be beneficial to use a combi-boiler to heat the hot water and floor, and a seperate (gas fired or whatever) furnace for the forced air. This way the system is redundant and the place doesn't freeze if either the boiler or furnace go down. I can't imagine a basic gas furnace would cost you much more if any.
Vale has no natural gas have to run propane.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I installed a Noritz combi boiler in my cabin in Seymour arm. I heat a slab in the basement and will one day do the upstairs through either a forced air exchanger or baseboard heaters. It also does my domestic hot water through the same unit. I run it on propane and off my inverter as I am off grid up there.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An option for that may be a Navien combi unit boiler with an indirect tank for hot water and a coil unit for forced air for the second floor. Model # is a Navien NFB-301C. I was looking at replacing our hot water tank, boiler & furnace all with one unit
I've just installed one of these @ my rec property. Removed the electric hot water tank, it will also circulate the domestic hot water if desired. I'm currently running 6 zones in the shop & can control each one independently.

I can add more zones & the unit is sized to do so. One very important feature is the burners are throttled back so it is not barking down excessive propane from being oversize.

It is also wifi so remotely I can adjust heat for domestic & floor, on/off, see efficiency & see exactly how much propane is being consumed by day/week/month.

I choose propane over electric for a multitude of reasons, my property needs gas for cooking, fifth wheel etc. Back up electrical is planned & I do not want to be sizing for high demand such as electric heat & water.

Part of my build process with the property is being fire smart. It is well water & I've installed 3 water hydrants away from the main building including a fire hose connection in the main building. These hydrants can also be used for irrigation & guest water for RV's etc.

With backup power my well water is now a fire pump, regardless if we lose power due to fire. We are close to a lake & I have a fire pump to backup the well water supply.

Top Bottom