Kakwa to McBride

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to plan a trip from Kakwa lake south to Hwy16 and stay in Mcbride. Then return. I will be getting a small group together to go. I can get to the lake, but after that heading south I am unsure and never been. Anyone been through the pass there, is it a hard ride and does anyone have a route mapped out, maybe with a Spot 2 or google earth. Thanks.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talked about this last year, supposed to be pretty straight forward, talk to spindrift motorsports they would know the way in from mcbride, when are you planning this?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear its about 85 miles the way the crow flys, go to google maps to verify. One of are buddies is from G/P and has been to about 25 miles from the backside of Renshaw a few years ago.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
85 miles, by the way the crow flies?? Sounds like a late spring trip only!
I've done 140kms(round trip) from the Renshaw parking lot to as far north as we could get and that place just seems to never end! But, would love to know the way to Mt. Sir Alexander from the BC side!

Last edited:

himark1

Reaction score
Ive tried it... its possible but id say it would be more than a day ride, we rode from the cresent spur area up the Morkill valley, rode into Intersection mtn up a narly treed creek bed, but the renshaw side of the valley looked much trickier, steep and trees unlees u went further up the valley then in somehow. we drove up the morkill about 40km or so and camped, this was in 2003 or 04. Ive been as far as you can go in the Renshaw numerous times since mid 90's always looked for a way buts its ugly.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
85 miles, by the way the crow flies?? Sounds like a late spring trip only!
I've done 140kms(round trip) from the Renshaw parking lot to as far north as we could get and that place just seems to never end! But, would love to know the way to Mt. Sir Alexander from the BC side!
checked saved places on google maps and measured some distances, sir alexander to northeast renshaw area is 46km, kakwa lake to renshaw 51km, and from kakwa staging area to renshaw 79km, as the crow flies.

kakwarenshaw.jpg

Last edited:

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talked about this last year, supposed to be pretty straight forward, talk to spindrift motorsports they would know the way in from mcbride, when are you planning this?

I have no idea when to try to make it through. I was going to rely on people that may have done this to see taking into account snow pack, terrain etc. Looks like a bit of a challenge but even as others say, the distance is no alot, but terrain could slow us down alot.

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like quite a trip, I would defiantly be packing gear and supplies for a night on the hill as I would think it is very likely to happen.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the park boundary?I hear they can be real azzholes about going inside the park.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no idea when to try to make it through. I was going to rely on people that may have done this to see taking into account snow pack, terrain etc. Looks like a bit of a challenge but even as others say, the distance is no alot, but terrain could slow us down alot.
I would say April, easier snow conditions and warmer nights lol but I'd go for it and I'm sure a few buddies would be in, definitely an in depth pre inspection on my sled before though it'd be pretty gay to breakdown out there, getting to mcbride for a hot tub, beer, and real bed would be quite a reward and saying you made it would be cool, may make a modified mini skimmer for that haul and definitely the rhino

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say April, easier snow conditions and warmer nights lol but I'd go for it and I'm sure a few buddies would be in, definitely an in depth pre inspection on my sled before though it'd be pretty gay to breakdown out there, getting to mcbride for a hot tub, beer, and real bed would be quite a reward and saying you made it would be cool, may make a modified mini skimmer for that haul and definitely the rhino

I thought it would be easier but after hearing all this, I am pumped about planning and getting this done sometime over the winter. This could be a real challenge but if the weather is good and the Feds dont swoop down with a chopper on us, it would make the beer extra tasty at the end point. Maybe a plan to get us picked up and trailered back might be im order??? I have some skimmers.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the park boundary?I hear they can be real azzholes about going inside the park.

Yep; don't be getting caught in there. They have no sense of HaHa when it comes to the Willmore Wilderness park. I know guys that have tried to find a way in off the end of the Sheep Creek Road and had to turn back.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep; don't be getting caught in there. They have no sense of HaHa when it comes to the Willmore Wilderness park. I know guys that have tried to find a way in off the end of the Sheep Creek Road and had to turn back.
Trying to reopen deadhorse etc would be a definite no go, I'd like to keep the slight chance they gave us at the annual meeting open for sure, and no need to give the anti sled community ammunition

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to reopen deadhorse etc would be a definite no go, I'd like to keep the slight chance they gave us at the annual meeting open for sure, and no need to give the anti sled community ammunition

Agree. We have to do this all on the right side of the law and not jeapordize any fines, sleds gone or whiners having ammo. I am going to study more maps and fly over the areas, see if there is a reasonable route outside of closed areas. I will use my Spot2 and GPS to get a track and go from there. Alot more than filling gas and going I see. If anyone is interested in helping and going, PM me. Looks like alot later almost spring time may be the answer. More info needed for sure.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When going from the BC side to the Kakwa Cabin the Walker Creek road is the direct route....110KM of oneway direct route. One bridge crossing that is some times out closer to the Cabin. I have done 75Km just for a ride, flat road at the bottom of the valley that takes you past Mt. Alexander which by the way is CLOSED to sledding above 6000'.

Good friggin luck trying to get from Renshaw to Kakwa. Maybe if you use crushing creek to get to Morkil FSR but you have to know when to go up the creek on the Morkil's Million Dollar Mile to cross the two mountains to get into the Kakwa region. If you are using FSRs this will be approx a 175KM cross country trek. I have gone abot 45KM past the cabin at Renshaw and dropped the waterfall to Morkil but this is still about 100KM to go to get to the Kakwa Cabin and there will be no towing skidders of fuel down this route.

Going past McBride on Hwy 16 to the Loas Road will shorten your trip to the Million Dollar crossing but you still have to cross the two mountains to get to Kakwa.

These routes keep you out of Wilmore and all of Kakwa is open below 6000'.
It will be an epic trip if you live to tell the tail......stick to Walker Creek road and do some more research for this trip.
I just happen to have my long range XP for sale in the Doo for sale section which I set up speciffically for this trip.

Good luck and let me know when you're leaving, always up for the long trips but only down Walker.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope u guys make it but be careful and watch the parks aand marked of areas because the tree huggers would love to have more fire power to close areas of to us good luck

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope u guys make it but be careful and watch the parks aand marked of areas because the tree huggers would love to have more fire power to close areas of to us good luck

She would definately be an adventure and need ALOT of planning. I think with the right crew and planning we can do this. Anyone care to join?

Top Bottom