Vehicle Safety

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a new to me pickup and there are way more to pick from in Alberta then there is here in Saskatchewan. I’m worried though about the whole idea of getting it safetied once I get it home. Has anyone been through this? What’s the best route? Is there any way to ensure it will pass a safety in Saskatchewan before I purchase it in Alberta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
If you find a vehicle you like, put a deposit on the vehicle, and subject to inspection. Then take it somewhere and get it inspected before you buy it. That will save you
headaches for sure. We see this all the time, people that are pressured into buying a vehicle, that shouldn't even be on the road... Good luck :)

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you find a vehicle you like, put a deposit on the vehicle, and subject to inspection. Then take it somewhere and get it inspected before you buy it. That will save you
headaches for sure. We see this all the time, people that are pressured into buying a vehicle, that shouldn't even be on the road... Good luck :)

Maybe a dumb question but will an Alberta inspection be good enough for SGI here in Saskatchewan or would I have to pay for 2 inspections?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but will an Alberta inspection be good enough for SGI here in Saskatchewan or would I have to pay for 2 inspections?

might be able to get the "form" from SGI to take to an Alberta shop? One would hope that they would be the same across the board, but likely not

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
years ago I bought a lifted truck from the states, not sure about sask inspection but alberta I had to go down to stock size tires, bumper heights were an issue. So my suggestion is the truck needs to be near stock in excellent condition or it likely will be a pain. Or you need to have a budget set a side, there is always something...

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As already mentioned stock is easiest for province inspection. Aside from safety concerns like brakes,front end etc for province inspection they are anal with leaks. If a seal isn't leaking oil but dirt is collecting from a seal sweat they will want that fixed, or just wash area prior to going in for inspection. What ever shop does inspection if they fail it for some reason it has to be re-inspected at same facality.
Generally province inspection aren't that bad if vehicle is safe to drive

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are differences between the 2 provinces for sure. But then every shop is different as well. If you get an inspection in Ab it should be close to same as sask . Son took an ab truck in to see what it needed for sask. Told him about 2000 worth. So he bought it. He did some of the work and took it back to same shop to get a couple bigger things done and the stickered. First mechanic had quit and new one told him it would be another 4500 to safety.

As you can imagine he was less than happy. Shop management would not help him. Took it to another shop in lloyd and it was about 1000 more. In my opinion it is worth getting a couple inspections done if not happy with first one. Costs a couple hundred bucks but could save lots.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought there was some kind of agreement with the 4 western provinces that an out of province inspection was transferrable to another province within 90 days?

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought the wife a new Range Rover back in 2021.from Calgary Land Rover It was used as a dealer demo for 4000km. Had to get a safety done on it when we brought it back to Saskatchewan. The inspection garage laughed and said they see it all the time. They gave me a good deal.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are differences between the 2 provinces for sure. But then every shop is different as well. If you get an inspection in Ab it should be close to same as sask . Son took an ab truck in to see what it needed for sask. Told him about 2000 worth. So he bought it. He did some of the work and took it back to same shop to get a couple bigger things done and the stickered. First mechanic had quit and new one told him it would be another 4500 to safety.

As you can imagine he was less than happy. Shop management would not help him. Took it to another shop in lloyd and it was about 1000 more. In my opinion it is worth getting a couple inspections done if not happy with first one. Costs a couple hundred bucks but could save lots.
Funny how that money scam works with inspections. Neighbor just bought a 2010 ole police car that was being sold for parts. So when he looked at it he said wow, we are gonna drive this home so he bought the whole car. Car was last reggi'd in BC but came from Chicago police dept. Took it in for inspection and low and behold nothing wrong with the car, passed no problem lol!

Top Bottom