just what we need another ski hill

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
true but there are better resorts than Panorama that are in need of more skiers as well.

Another issue they have is the proximity to a major airport with direct flights from overseas/US. In order to attract numbers you need to get the people there. With a 3.5 - 4 hr drive from Calgary not accounting for poor weather conditions is not looking good IMO.

Panorama isn't busy cause it.......just isn't that good.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
true but there are better resorts than Panorama that are in need of more skiers as well.

Another issue they have is the proximity to a major airport with direct flights from overseas/US. In order to attract numbers you need to get the people there. With a 3.5 - 4 hr drive from Calgary not accounting for poor weather conditions is not looking good IMO.
Ya but look at all of them/ They are all shitty, Lake Lousy, Scumshine. Fernie was great till the Calgredians ruined it so I had to leave. Red, White Water and Revelstroke are where I like to ski. We need more hills like them and the rest can close IMO

There is Castle. great terrain when they have snow and the wind is under 100K. I cut a lot of trees on there to make runs years ago. They have become a joke bying everyones old junk lifts that breakdown all the time.

Good skiing in bounds is pretty tough to find these day so a lot of us have become sledders.:p

Last edited:
Reactions: kjb

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking no one would complain if a new area opened up to sledding...... are we hypocrites???

Not as hypocritical as the NDP government that first approved it 22 years ago and are now slamming the Liberals for it! Or the environmentalists that sat on the CORE (Committee on Resources & Environment) 25 years ago that approved it as an acceptable use for that area. Or Wildsight that hypes it as "pristine wilderness" when it's been mined and logged for a hundred years!

Ooooooooo, that felt good. Haven't had a rant for a while!
:realmad:

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who would we elect as mayor of the mountain :confused: :beer:

To answer your question, the difference is that tax payers dont pay for our sport (maybe not as much anyway).

I'm thinking no one would complain if a new area opened up to sledding...... are we hypocrites???

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who would we elect as mayor of the mountain :confused: :beer:

To answer your question, the difference is that tax payers dont pay for our sport (maybe not as much anyway).

Well, maybe not as much........but taxpayers pay the hiways maintenance contractor to plow the 20kms of road to our local snowmobile area all winter, and maintain that road in the summer, and to build it in the first place. There's no other reason for that road to be open in the winter unless there's logging going on, and then the logging companies look after it. Pretty sure this happens in some other areas too. Kinda plays into the hypocritical thing again.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's a bit rich that Wildsight is calling this a "Wilderness Land Grab" and that it is taking away our "PUBLIC" land.
They are the #1 guys who are stealing our "public" land away from us so that we can not dirtbike, quad, and sled on it.

I can't wait to ski the hellout of that place. And maybe the odd pow day in the summer too!

The statement about Panorama not getting the ski visits is basically that if you are not local, or have a condo there, there's no reason to go out of your way to ski that hill. They built it in decent terrain that happens to get no snow. If it was a great hill, it would be super busy all the time. Jumbo is not "just another ski hill"

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ski hills here are owned by aussies. guess who gets the work? the aussie imports.
not sure on aussies owning any resorts( rcr resorts and pano are canadian owned) but they do get the majority of the work because of the employment agreement between aus and canada.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does it matter to you guys? If you have valid reason, that's one thing. But all I see is the "skiers vs. sledders" whining going on. Someone fill me in if there is legitimate reason as to why they should not be allowed to build this resort...

As to eclipse, if you're wondering why I recommended your post I didn't mean to, no offense haha.
because the resort will go bankrupt and be a taxpayer problem.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skiing year round is mensioned.... where can one ski year round right now?

this is another false statement by the developer, the glacier is not a place for unexperienced people in the summer. there is some pretty big holes up there. if the glacier was at 10000'+ then maybe it would be doable.
I skied 11 months last yr locally only missed october... summer skiing was poor but did it just to say I did
Camp green was up on farnham for a few summers and they could only ski from 5 am-8ish. after that the snow is really bad.

Tacodriver

Reaction score
The mayor the gov did pick tried his best to harass the sawmill in radium, with fines for noise and unsightly premises to appease the condo owners. Also who is going to pay for the power line into there.

ski-doober

Reaction score
If they can ski there then we should be able to get a sled on the glacier in the summer

Top Bottom