January snow conditions

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just talked to Hotrod he's been basically grooming Renshaw daily, the first 10km is not in good condition but cooler weather is supposed to settle in for the weekend and that could change things. The snow still falls up top though as 20 new inches has fallen from Tues. & Wed.!!! Lucielle and Belle will be groomed tonight and tomorrow with about 6 new inches on those hills!

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Belle today, found some crazy deep snow (3+ feet of fresh) in places where people hadn't went in a while from what it looked like. It was snowing pretty hard when we began making our way down the hill too, should be good snow to be found up there the next couple days if it keeps up!

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
getting ready to go up Lucille with rod for a groom. guys where up renshaw today and had some deep pow just at e top of the blacwater.

TKrebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Renshaw was unreal today. Titty deep snow eveywhere and even deeper in the trees. Trail was pretty rough but it was pretty warm today. Hope it cools down a bit. Snowing hard on our way down in the dark. Should make for epic conditions all weekend. Unfortunately stuck in Valemount.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another 12in. fell at the Renshaw yesterday!! Thats 4ft of new snow this week alone!!! Be very Avalanche Aware!! Especially with this much snow this quick!! Lucielle and Belle also plumped up, 10in. of new in the Belle parking lot this morning!!

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode renshaw today, deeeeeepppp!!!!!! Sun even came out a little bit. About 100 guys up top and nobody made it even close to the saddle. Started at 9 and burnt my tank and Jerry can by 230. All u guys that say u don't need to haul extra fuel with an etech should come ride some of this. Trail a little rough but not horrible. Temps dropping and will be groomed tonight. Thanks again to spindrift for the top notch service.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Lucille today for half a day today until I broke my steering post in a greasy spot down in some trees. LOL. Lots of good snow to be had today in Lucille tho, just absolutely no visibility! Probably the worst visibility conditions I've ever seen, could hardly see trees that were 100 feet away for most the day! Here's the quick vid of the not so fun situation we had going down today haha!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Lucille today and picked our way around, visibility was extremely poor due to low cloud cover. Snow is very nice, when the clouds broke it was a blast. Renshaw tomorrow, I'm glad I bought a jerry can sounds like I'll need it.

Sent from my iPhone using

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg Snow was absolutely awesome at renshaw today. Went in the blackwater after shoveling the roof of the cabin. We didnt get very far and found armpit deep snow everywhere. Ive been riding all week and the snow gets deeper everyday. Thank god the guys are grooming everynight trying to keep up with the warmer temps. The trail is rough but bareable. After a day of riding in all that powder its worth it. Its suppose to start cooling down so the trail will start to freeze in. Shovellers were: Rod Whelpton and his father in law, jason beniuk, matt elliot, riley sjoquist, jacques franke, colton and craig ryan, colton taphorn, andrew mason, jeff (from ft. mcmurray), brad hardstad, and Lindon Ladouceur. Good job guys. Heres a link to some videos aswell of renshaw that day. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=452277531538669&set=vb.274472425985848&type=2&theater cabin.jpg rod.jpg Now theres one hard working Big country snowmobile club member that doesnt get enough kudos. Adrenaline Rod jason.jpg jack 2.jpg jack.jpg jayrod.jpg Some of the best snow I`ve seen in years. Everyone be super smart out there, the snow is getting heavy and the avalanche danger is more and more existent.

Last edited:

Fullthrottle

Reaction score
it's crazy deep
Yes snow is awesome!!! Rode renshaw 2 & 3. Visibility the 2nd wasn't great got some riding in. Left our gas up there for the next day. Riding the 3rd was awesome. Breaks in the clouds gave us plenty of wicked riding. When we went to get our gas they'd been stolen!!! Unbelievable. Can't even leave your gas by the cabin for later use. Lesson learned..... People have no frickin respect!!!! A big thanks to the crew that shoveled off the roof at the cabin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 785

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
up renshaw today. will check pic's later to see if they turned out. trail was rough to km 8 and then very nice to the top. same way down. ant hills all day and it was deep, out of gas in 4 hours. caper 11 might have some pic's better than mine. be very wary of the steep slopes as there is a very weak layer about 90 cm down.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were up renshaw today as well. Didn't make it too far from the cabin, nobody dropped over the saddle today. People getting stuck everywhere in armpit deep snow! Plenty more to be found!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best day I had in a long time! Rode with bbtoys and found some untouched. The word epic comes to mind! The trail up and down was IMO, was great! Faceshots all day! Had a blast! I'm glad I bought that jerry can!! Because I definitely needed!!

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Renshaw the last two days and as everyone says the snow is crazy deep.
First two days on the 163XM and yup they are as impresiive as everyone says.
On the trail at 07:30 Friday so we got the fresh snow on the way up, nice crusin up in the fresh but trail was mogulled up to about Km 24 for just groomed??????
Yesterday was another deep day and did not bother with trying the saddle again as visbility so so and two newbies and I only like to hang out digging rookies at the base of the saddle for so long when I can not see the cornice.
Third group up and grooming was great on the way up yesterday but regular renshaw on the way down.....just how it is if you want to ride the great snow on top. Went into the valley east? of the cabin as nobody was in the day before and nody else came in until about 10:30, only about 12 sleds total in area so stayed there until gas used up.
Renshaw NEVER dissapoints!!!

Back to the XM, spare gas can and headed back to the truck by 3PM both days and fuel warning light on before the truck both days. They burn gas when pushed but only 210km on the sled so hard to guage yet. Also heavy on the throttle due to the great snow, sled worked awsome and pulls way better in the deep than my mildly modde 09XP did.

Sorry no pics, was busy having way to much fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom