isopropyl

linzoid

Reaction score
I always run this every tank but question blended gas line antifreeze with other products in it
I would like to run pure 99% isopropyl so are there some blended ones I should avoid that might affect 2 strokes negatively or is there a source for pure isopropyl?

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get pure ISO from the drug store... If you have to ask why, don't

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Esso, petro-can, shell and fas gas and mohawk all have an isopropyl additive in their fuels plus 7 to 23 other additives depending on fuel grade. None branded fuel do not!

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its getting harder to find 99% iso at drugs stores. UFA has it for cheap though in the veterinary section. Even still I think its prob still $10 a Litre.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's a good price or not, but a quick search on amazon it looks like $37.49 for about 32oz. 99.9%

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s like 20$ at Costco for 6 500ml bottles. I use a lot of it at work. 99% strength

linzoid

Reaction score
its not for freezing its for water removal to prevent detonation

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much are u guys adding to a tankful
couple ounces?
That should do it unless you did somehow get a lot of condensation or bad gas. You can avoid a lot of condensation by filling the tank at the end of the day.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain wtf the theory is here? Iso helps remove water, which helps prevent detonation?? Water is what causes detonation? I was fairly sure it was caused by the fuel charge igniting before the spark plug actually fired causing a collision of two separate flame fronts. Actually by definition that would technically be pre-ignition I suppose. Detonation is the same thing only after the spark plug fires, a separate flame front ignites due to lack of octane as well as excessive cylinder temp/pressures. Im not sure where water plays into this??

linzoid

Reaction score
water droplets detonate during combustion causing pitting of the cylinder walls , alcohol binds to the water and flashes off before the water can detonate allowing the water to be expelled from the cylinder without detonating is my understanding

* Update *
Detonation is not the issue after all, but water in the fuel can result in pitting of the cylinder walls and performance loss. Isopropyl helps remove the water somehow, f*ck I'm not a scientist, just want to know where to buy lol.

Last edited:

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im fairly certain this is not the case, while water in your fuel is certainly not ideal, and to run Iso is not an issue, to avoid freezing issues, i don't believe Water does or can cause detonation. If anything water in the combustion chamber would work to lower cylinder temps which would help reduce risk of Detonation, as it requires heat energy to flash off the water to steam, which actually can contribute to making power. Although a different animal all together, Diesel engines can benefit significantly from injecting water/methanol mix into the intake tract. Also water is used in 4 stroke gas engines to knock out carbon without causing detonation. I have literally force fed a 350 chev engine 4-5 litres of water as fast as I can with out stalling it. Now I realize a 2 stroke is a different engine, and u certainly don’t want to be force feeding it water in the intake, once the piston is on its compression stroke, and the cylinder is full of fuel air mixture, right before the spark plug fires, its the same condition regardless of if its 2 or 4 stoke. It is a function of fuel quality ie: Octane, that determines if the fuel mixture is prone to detonation. This is also a relationship between spark timing, and cylinder compression ratio also. But I would suggest if your having detonation issues, either you are running too low of an octane fuel, or possibly have other issues, ie: timing is out.
but I could certainly be wrong too, just how I understand it. One other thing I just thought of, Iso is flammable, and could possibly be causing detonation issues itself. I don’t know how much it would take to actually matter, but if there was enough of it in the fuel, it could certainly promote detonation. I think its unlikely anyone puts that much in their fuel but just a thought. I suspect an ounce or two isn’t doing any harm.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
water droplets detonate during combustion causing pitting of the cylinder walls , alcohol binds to the water and flashes off before the water can detonate allowing the water to be expelled from the cylinder without detonating is my understanding

* Update *
Detonation is not the issue after all, but water in the fuel can result in pitting of the cylinder walls and performance loss. Isopropyl helps remove the water somehow, f*ck I'm not a scientist, just want to know where to buy lol.

Costco still has it. 4 x 500 ml bottles for $12. 99% pure isopropyl alcohol.

Top Bottom