Is land really worth this near Revelstoke?

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes unfortunately for those thinking of property/ homes in Revy building lots are around 300k and starter homes ( 800 square foot wartime houses) that need everything are 500k + but pretty much no availability. According to a Telus survey using active cellphones in the area for winter our population doubles. That’s why there are 10 people and more in some houses. Neighbours are very impressed as you can well imagine. Homes are bought up and converted to VRBO or pseudo illegal bed and breakfast that run rampant everywhere in town. Snow removal is a huge headache because of vehicles on the street so costs skyrocket .
Welcome to resort living . I wish Alberta was warmer , sell out, pocket the cash.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a house you say , these can be your neighbours D1535E73-047D-42A7-9D34-7F92CB52C789.jpeg 4637536B-3010-4BE8-8294-43E818CFF788.jpeg people come here to ski/ shred on the cheap and even live in their cars . I watched one group outside my house in a car get out at 7 am , the guy pisses on my neighbours hedge, his dog craps on the sidewalk and then back into the car they go. They got up a while later and guy and girl( hard to tell ) then proceed to make tea on the hood.Off they go to shred on the hill , thanks for showing up! I particularly love the converted school buses with wood stoves stinking up the town.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To answer your question: No it isn't worth that much but that is what some are willing to pay for it.

Reactions: RXN

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The recreation Center parking lot is a classic also with campers and Rv’s . It’s a perfect world shred all day camp for free ,crap and shower and swim in the rec Center . Rinse out the dreadlocks occasionally , pull the plug on the tank, heave out the garbage , not to worry the fresh snow will cover the yellow piss holes in the snow and any trace of garbage, coffee grounds, non GMO ethically harvested tea leaves, granola and kombucha. Taxpayers got it , no problem.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go looking for long term rental property in Revy its almost impossible to find.

Id love to own an apartment building there. The town doesnt seem like its in a hurry to expand either, so that helps drive up prices too.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had huge issues at city hall , our only building inspector ( of many in the revolving door at city hall) threw in the towel and word was out regarding the climate at city hall. It was taking 18 months to get a permit through. Finally the two top dogs got kicked to the curb and things have smoothed out although we still have out of town inspections and permit approvals. The skihill is a huge employer and they are promising employee housing AFTER they build another hotel and a conference Center. There is another hotel under way by the Ramada just to the east of town also Boston Pizza and Dairy Queen. The A&W has been torn down and is rebuilding on the same site. Two of the run down apartment buildings ( in receivership) in town have been taken over by BC housing and are slowly being renovated apparently. There is huge competition for rentals and prices are unreal- 800$ or so to rent a room ,shared possibly, plus utilities. WE NEED HOUSING !!!specifically rentals that don’t turn into VRBO or B&B or flophouses with a dozen people living in them.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had huge issues at city hall , our only building inspector ( of many in the revolving door at city hall) threw in the towel and word was out regarding the climate at city hall. It was taking 18 months to get a permit through. Finally the two top dogs got kicked to the curb and things have smoothed out although we still have out of town inspections and permit approvals. The skihill is a huge employer and they are promising employee housing AFTER they build another hotel and a conference Center. There is another hotel under way by the Ramada just to the east of town also Boston Pizza and Dairy Queen. The A&W has been torn down and is rebuilding on the same site. Two of the run down apartment buildings ( in receivership) in town have been taken over by BC housing and are slowly being renovated apparently. There is huge competition for rentals and prices are unreal- 800$ or so to rent a room ,shared possibly, plus utilities. WE NEED HOUSING !!!specifically rentals that don’t turn into VRBO or B&B or flophouses with a dozen people living in them.

Yeah people are buying empty lots and flipping them for more money a few months later, its crazy.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And as Motorsport enthusiasts, we wonder why there’s so much vandalism towards sledders.....?!?! People who live in their car, piss on the neighbours lawn, showering is optional..... also feel that the guys that roll into town with +$200G in trucks/trailers/sleds, can afford to “share the wealth”, so they probably also help themselves to your equipment/gas/what ever is not tied down.

This is the reason I try not to frequent Revy..... too bad for the honest business owners, and locals that understand what it’s like to live there and scratch out a living.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it’s not welded down it disappears a couple of steady items that are relieved from their owners are winter ski jackets and bicycles. Soon that will switch to entire 4 place units with sleds inside and their trucks attached. Lock everything and don’t assume.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the money coming from to pay these prices in revelstoke? Is it Alberta people or lower mainland money?

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust accounts and the bank of mom and dad. I don’t understand how a young couple can get by and that’s why there is so many illegal rentals and flop houses. Or basements suites at 2000$ a month

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And as Motorsport enthusiasts, we wonder why there’s so much vandalism towards sledders.....?!?! People who live in their car, piss on the neighbours lawn, showering is optional..... also feel that the guys that roll into town with +$200G in trucks/trailers/sleds, can afford to “share the wealth�, so they probably also help themselves to your equipment/gas/what ever is not tied down.

This is the reason I try not to frequent Revy..... too bad for the honest business owners, and locals that understand what it’s like to live there and scratch out a living.

I can honestly say it’s been more of a rarity in revy than not we stay at a buddies bed and breakfast and have for almost 15 years now in that time only one 03 Ford truck and trailer were yanked(the ones you might as well leave the keys in). He’s had guys there ever day from Nov to April and it’s the only one he talked about. I know cops have used bait sleds in recent years too that cut down on lots. If I was a betting man those dread lock hippies might be a hazard if you leave out a case of beer but unlikely the guys stealing your rig. Something they have been doing is checking for insurance and registration as much of a pain as it might be I believe that cuts down on the stolen sleds used at main areas, the real criminals taking them to chop shops are going to get your stuff anyways. Housing market is very unique in revy that’s for sure, mountains and river chew up a lot of crown land that you obviously can’t build on. Couple that with the ability to rent your house out for 4 weeks at $4000 a week over Christmas and New Years or use air bnb year round and the $600,000 place is less ridiculous.

Top Bottom