Thoughts on Building new vs buying used - homes

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree I've seen poorly marketed ex comfree houses not get sold and then get sold for a realtor.
I've also seen houses with a realtor on the market for a long time, move to a different realtor then get sold so this is not an accurate comparison to comfree at all! There are houses in our neighbourhood that have been on the market for months and I come with comfree list $8k below their overpriced house and sell in a day at the high end of the price range that was researched by myself/comfree/realtor all within the same range. Therefore a realtor would have resulted in less money in my bank account with my transaction. But hey I wish I would have known about your network that pays $25k above what a home is actually worth, darn maybe next time!!!

Don't mean to nag on realtors I just find some of them want to be so negative about the sell yourself model and they tend to make up non factual statistics based on their one sided opinions. Pay the buyers realtor commission and I see no issues with this business model.

Good luck in your future endeavours!

Your posts certainly sound like someone with an agenda, especially when you look around and see so many so called discount brokerages. I think to keep it real and factual you should also do a bit of research into the longevity and current status of the average discount broker and brokerage. There is probably more change in ownership and licensees than in any other part of the Real Estate industry, and IMO that can be contributed to lack of success, lack of education and training, lack of knowledge and most importantly to clients, buyer or seller, lack of any liability or responsibility to any party to the transaction. Kind of like parasites, just taking from the existing system, without really giving anything back.
I know people who pull their own teeth and do their own stitches also, and for some it works out. When it goes sideways, and it eventually will, they're usually the first ones hollering poor me looking for help and compensation cause of their disadvantaged situation. No different than any other industry in my mind, always hire the low bidder whether welder, carpenter, plumber, doctor , dentist , lawyer etc, and expect bottom of the barrel minimalist service, and you'll get it every time.

dylandoo

Reaction score
Website
www.dylanoneschuk.com
I agree I've seen poorly marketed ex comfree houses not get sold and then get sold for a realtor.
I've also seen houses with a realtor on the market for a long time, move to a different realtor then get sold so this is not an accurate comparison to comfree at all! There are houses in our neighbourhood that have been on the market for months and I come with comfree list $8k below their overpriced house and sell in a day at the high end of the price range that was researched by myself/comfree/realtor all within the same range. Therefore a realtor would have resulted in less money in my bank account with my transaction. But hey I wish I would have known about your network that pays $25k above what a home is actually worth, darn maybe next time!!!

Don't mean to nag on realtors I just find some of them want to be so negative about the sell yourself model and they tend to make up non factual statistics based on their one sided opinions. Pay the buyers realtor commission and I see no issues with this business model.

Good luck in your future endeavours!

By simply putting something as large as a house on a website and putting a sign up you will not achieve top dollar for something as large as a home its that simple. I am not negative towards comfree it is just not the best service out there for selling your home and you are leaving money on the table due to the lack of exposure and marketing and like I said before the realtors with their buyers do not like bringing their clients to comfree homes so you lose a ton of mls exposure there alone. Thats all I am saying. Not everyone buys the Platinum Powerstroke thats why Ford makes the XLT as well. And those two options will always exist!

dylandoo

Reaction score
Website
www.dylanoneschuk.com
Your posts certainly sound like someone with an agenda, especially when you look around and see so many so called discount brokerages. I think to keep it real and factual you should also do a bit of research into the longevity and current status of the average discount broker and brokerage. There is probably more change in ownership and licensees than in any other part of the Real Estate industry, and IMO that can be contributed to lack of success, lack of education and training, lack of knowledge and most importantly to clients, buyer or seller, lack of any liability or responsibility to any party to the transaction. Kind of like parasites, just taking from the existing system, without really giving anything back.
I know people who pull their own teeth and do their own stitches also, and for some it works out. When it goes sideways, and it eventually will, they're usually the first ones hollering poor me looking for help and compensation cause of their disadvantaged situation. No different than any other industry in my mind, always hire the low bidder whether welder, carpenter, plumber, doctor , dentist , lawyer etc, and expect bottom of the barrel minimalist service, and you'll get it every time.

Nicely said! Lenny.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I think the realtor vs self list portion has been discussed in full...back to building vs buying. Thanks for your guys input

In searching new developments and communities I am very surprised at the amount of new developments. It is almost overwhelming to see 10 new communities under construction, several to a dozen show homes and builders on each one plus even more new communities breaking ground for 2017.

I see the new homes, whether immediate possession or spec homes are out numbering the used market at least 5-1 in our price range. Regardless if the developer is selling lots on higher premiums they paid for that land two years ago, it is still cheaper to get into what we would prefer to be in and it be a new home. What am I missing?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Interesting idea which we hadn't considered.

Not much available for vacant lots working 40-45 mins from Calgary that I have seen though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I think the realtor vs self list portion has been discussed in full...back to building vs buying. Thanks for your guys input

In searching new developments and communities I am very surprised at the amount of new developments. It is almost overwhelming to see 10 new communities under construction, several to a dozen show homes and builders on each one plus even more new communities breaking ground for 2017.

I see the new homes, whether immediate possession or spec homes are out numbering the used market at least 5-1 in our price range. Regardless if the developer is selling lots on higher premiums they paid for that land two years ago, it is still cheaper to get into what we would prefer to be in and it be a new home. What am I missing?

I think you've narrowed down to building already, which makes sense for where you work with easy access to Stony and price point.
I don't think you're missing anything? A lot of people don't want to be around construction areas or dealing with the hassle of buildings, lots of people can't handle those "stresses".
Add in costs of landscaping too.

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having built a new place in Edmonton I 100% would do it again.

My read on the current market is that there is a bubble, I don't know how there couldn't be (at least in Edmonton). If the banks were to raise interest rates a lot of people are in trouble (don't think that's happening anytime soon). The thing that gets me is when you drive through Edmonton and area and there are how many pockets of $1m+ houses, who are the people buying these? Then you go a little ways down the ladder and count the areas with houses between $600k-$800k and so on, once again who is buying all these? Really makes me scratch my head.

Personally I hope this bubble pops. Then maybe the price of a home will come back to reality.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Explain to me why a buyers realtor does not want to show a comfree house if I pay their commission? Because I had a list of a dozen realtors wanting to see my place with their client so your logic there is incorrect.

There is absolutely no way a realtor can manually get $25k more for a house if it ain't worth that, this one of the most common misconception spread by realtors. Does a realtor get more visibility? Nope, both are on MLS and other realtors websites.

Realtors need to adjust to the sell yourself model, believe it or not this is the future.I've sold both ways and I won't spend my hard earned cash on a selling realtor again, buying realtor yes I have no problem using them as in my experience have been well worth it.

I have sold one house by myself and no fees at all. Did open houses for 2 Sundays and it was gone in just under 3 weeks. Then sold one with buyer commission only and we negotiated that as well. I feel its how motivated you are as to what the end result will be. I saved thousands.

Top Bottom