Insurance new driver in the family have questions !

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And even the fact if someone else is in the house living, they jack up your rates because they think that person will drive it.
How about they just rape us even if only one person living in residence but due to the fact a B&E can occur and take your car and drive it, WTF is next in this world!!

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As other have said, asap, get a car in their name so they can start a driving and insurance record. Nothing worse than driving for a couple years under your insurance and getting dragged over the coals. Then they start on their own, and the last couple years mean dic.
We did my kids insurance under his name, his car, our main policy. He got the benefits of our monthly payments, multi unit discount etc. He maintained his policy until he turned 18 and transferred to his own stand alone policy, and maintained his rate. His good 2 year record set him up to keep monthly payments (very very rare right now for new drivers, so if you cant pony up the 3000-5000 at once, you aint driving!) and no major increase, still $3250.00 for the year.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The above information sort of rattles my nerves. Not that I have any new drivers in our household but the simple fact of what the insurance companies are demanding.

If you only have one vehicle in the household, how do the insurance companies handle the new “occasional” driver?
One vehicle no problem the inherent gouging starts when you hit the stride of as many or more cars than drivers. That’s when they make mandatory principal drivers for each car. This is my case. 4 cars three drivers and unfortunately the gouging is mandatory. trying to find out if the province has an ombudsman for insurance. Because it’s really ridiculous what it cost. Insurance is mandatory but the sheer price gouging should be outlawed.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My daughter (new driver) has a 2017 Escape - purchase price was 19K.
Her own policy was quoted through AMA at $3300.
Then she got 5% off as post secondary student.
And 10% off for letting them track her driving habits. Even if you have bad driving habits on the program your rate does not go up.
Her policy was about $2900.
As an adder on our policy was over 4k.
You have to ask for the duscounts, they don't tell you.

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great post. The only downside I can see to this is that now their driving experience/insurance rating is deferred to a later date. So you save now, but don't get the benefit of lower insurance earlier in the future by not having you own policy.
That lower price comes at age 25. There's no savings to be had anytime sooner, just high cost right now. This year or next year, won't lower her rates any sooner than age 25.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That lower price comes at age 25. There's no savings to be had anytime sooner, just high cost right now. This year or next year, won't lower her rates any sooner than age 25.
I will be going through this in the next year when my son turns 16.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My daughter was 22 when she got her total discount of 15%. Most places will give a 5% post secondary discount.
Hopefully daughter gets more when she turns 25.
Not sure what a new driver at 16 would be but likely what was posted above.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s, hopefully I can get some quotes and start looking at options. Realistically anyone without insurance history is in the same boat. Going to explore more options but if anyone has some helpful insight by all means chime in
Friend of mine has 2 young lads,she blatantly told the ins Co that she does not have to put them on her policy as they have here own vehicles, they tried to run some rhetoric but she told them to call her lawyer, they didn't of course so she won that battle. They just cannot drive her van, lol. Like she said in an emergency to bad they still have coverage under the B side in the policy as with anybody no matter who it is, family, friend or foe.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you have to do is tell them they will never drive your vehicle, wink wink, of course in a emergency hopefully they get you to a hospital get my meaning. And sign a letter saying that no one will drive your vehicle and send to them, they will tell you you have to send that every year but my friend has only sent in once and they never asked again for it and her insurance is the same. Technically all are covered under the B clause anyway but they try and scam you into this, hence why they say your insurance covers you and you should keep it in your wallet even when driving members vehicles on this site, wink, wink, like who does that. B clause covers anyone in your vehicle should it be needed. Ins Co's can be annoying and scammers, not all but most.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
If your insurers have reason to believe you are or have given them false information and they can prove it no so called ‘B’ plan will do anything for you. Your claim will be denied your insurers will pay out the liability claim and sue you back for all damages and also may charge you with fraud.
Ive see this often and my mom was a claims manager and caught many misinforming there insurers and they do deny coverages and if your nice and admit things you may bot get charged.
So, isnt it easier to just provide them with correct information, unfortunately its pricy but after 3 - 4 years it starts coming down. We were all at this point sometime in our lives. I remember paying super high rates.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im 40 still pay out the ass. Plus a new truck is 100g. Get a scooter, bus passes are cheap too lol

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What i have done is register a beater with pl and pd under the kids name, have kid listed as a casual driver on yours, if something happens it will effect just the kids insurance. Worked for me and my kid

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im 40 still pay out the ass. Plus a new truck is 100g. Get a scooter, bus passes are cheap too lol
Soon as you pass 50. Insurance goes up slightly every year. my brother is 49 I’m 52 same insurance company both clean license. His turbo doo snowmobile was $140 per yr cheaper than mine. I fought and Found out it was my age.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No different now then in the early 2000’s. I had a license in Saskatchewan but moved back to Alberta in 2001 when I was 16. Couldn’t afford Alberta insurance and grew up in times where kids actually had to pay for their own vehicle and insurance, and maintenance etc. if they wanted to drive. I never got my Alberta license until after high school because insurance companies were crooks then just as they are now and I never had $5000 a year to fork out to my parents to be on their policy…( and would of never been able to drive their vehicles anyway). So had to wait until I finished high school to insure the vehicle I bought in 2000 when I was 15. PLPD was $4500 a year in 2003, full coverage was over $6000. This was on a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. Lived in Calgary and had an Alberta license but still had my Saskatchewan license in their system as well so insured and registered it there for $650 a year until the gov’t stepped in in Alberta and capped insurance around 2005 lol. Then it was a bargain, $2400 a year for PLPD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you have to do is tell them they will never drive your vehicle, wink wink, of course in a emergency hopefully they get you to a hospital get my meaning. And sign a letter saying that no one will drive your vehicle and send to them, they will tell you you have to send that every year but my friend has only sent in once and they never asked again for it and her insurance is the same. Technically all are covered under the B clause anyway but they try and scam you into this, hence why they say your insurance covers you and you should keep it in your wallet even when driving members vehicles on this site, wink, wink, like who does that. B clause covers anyone in your vehicle should it be needed. Ins Co's can be annoying and scammers, not all but most.
Thanks for that….. I am now looking at selling him our 2014 Honda CR-V and getting a stand alone policy. Another option is buying an old clunker and. Plating it and having his stand alone policy. Either works. Thanks for all the comments. Lots of good info here and we have been getting quotes. All in the $3500 and up range.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What i have done is register a beater with pl and pd under the kids name, have kid listed as a casual driver on yours, if something happens it will effect just the kids insurance. Worked for me and my kid
Thanks. We are looking at the same

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was advised to get them there own policy and a 4 door sedan with a 4cyl for $5k and under. Plus driving school which they already had. That would be the cheapest. Only liability because the car isn’t financed. They paid $2400 a year. Boys. Not sure if girls are cheaper. Also broker said if they start now they are building a record on there own and if they crash (which most do) it won’t effect my rates or risk loosing everything in law suits. I chipped in some but it comes out of their accounts every month. Hard for the kids to afford on their own. Makes you realize probably lots of people running with out it at these costs.
This is what we did for our kids. Sad part is the 05 Sunfire 4dr wasn't as safe to drive as our newer vehicles. Boy got several tickets and his rate went up but ours didn't. They are both over 25 now and rates are reasonable.

YammieLover

Reaction score
Peace Hills Insurance.

Added my son to my wifes vehicle for about $1200 per year as an occassional driver which he gets full credit for. That also allowed me to add him on a business vehicle at a couple hundred a year.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya insurance for young drivers has sure got a lot more reasonable. That 5k a year was tough on them

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I say nothing to insurance how will they find out there's a young driver in household ?

Top Bottom