Iridium or Inmarsat phone??

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just about bought Inmarsat phone, but found they need clear site of view to satellite. Similar television sat. Otherwise a very good clear view sat phone. Primarily for maritime use. Went with Iridium. Lots of satellites for great coverage in all types of terrain. Iridium, Still the way to go.. Want to let others know what I found when purchasing a sat phone.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just about bought Inmarsat phone, but found they need clear site of view to satellite. Similar television sat. Otherwise a very good clear view sat phone. Primarily for maritime use. Went with Iridium. Lots of satellites for great coverage in all types of terrain. Iridium, Still the way to go.. Want to let others know what I found when purchasing a sat phone.

Where did you buy it and for how much if you don't mind me asking?

the450kid

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! i was about to lay down the card for one for this coming weekend. I spoke with Curt at One sat in calgary he never mentioned it was a clear view sat phone. I am going to have to make a few calls in the Am and see whats what and whats the next options. Thanks again!

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy it and for how much if you don't mind me asking?

Onesat in Calgary. Best price on the phone and he can get you prepaid minutes so that you don't have a minimum monthly plan.
Chris @ (403) 667-3750. Shipping in 2-3 days and free to Edmonton.
I spoke with a fella at Global Communications in Edmonton. 99st. Location. Phone cost was more and I got the message that he really wasn't interested in selling me a phone. IMO!! When I told him his phone price was too high he said to me "Then I guess we are done here". I laughed and said good-bye.

Good luck and I would be interested how you made out.

Regards..
Ward

the450kid

Reaction score
well i went with the inmarsat phone. Its a good deal so far.... the true test will be this weekend in the mtns. great price great service so far. I as well spoke with communications group, very informative and willing to help, that was red deer though. thanks for your help and input!

dave

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i went with the inmarsat phone. Its a good deal so far.... the true test will be this weekend in the mtns. great price great service so far. I as well spoke with communications group, very informative and willing to help, that was red deer though. thanks for your help and input!

dave

Dave, I am really interested how your Inmarsat works in the hills.
Let me know if you don't mind.

Much for snow were your headed??

Thanks
Ward

the450kid

Reaction score
I will report back as soon as i try it. were gonna head down the sicamous way, I am getting conflicting reports of snow depth... so only one way to find out i guess. I am gonna find a nice big ravine, and get to the bottom stop and make some calls and see how it works out.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will report back as soon as i try it. were gonna head down the sicamous way, I am getting conflicting reports of snow depth... so only one way to find out i guess. I am gonna find a nice big ravine, and get to the bottom stop and make some calls and see how it works out.

That's the way to do it. Cause when your going to need it, it won't be in the best location. Be sure to post!! Try it in the trees too..

A buddy of mine lives in Sicamous and told me a couple feet at top of Owls Head. Nothing in town. Sounds like you have to trailer 5-6 clicks.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well...????

the450kid

Reaction score
Hey Guys sorry took me so long to get back to this. Finally got my Inmarsat Phone and got back to Sicamous this weekend. So i tried it out a couple of times and the phone worked awesome. Phoned the folks and gf,They said it was crystal clear. We had blue blazer days so its hard to tell if the service will be affected by weather coverage or not. All in all im satisfied witht he unit. the price was right.

Cheers and happy holidays!

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have good luck with the inmarsat? Anything has to be better than globar stars junk

Gracefull

Reaction score
Whats the verdict after a season with the Inmarsat phone? How reliable is it? tree's,valley's,etc hinder it?
I am very interested in purchasing one, but want to know how you guys liked it.

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the Iridium and have used it in all different locations and weather without any problems. cloud and snow cover didn't seem to make any difference.

Gracefull

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I have used the Iridium phones also and they are great. BUT the Inmarsat is HALF the price...... So i am just trying to figure out if i need to spend the extra monies.....

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had both this summer at work and Inmarsat worked great in Yukon and northern BC. Further north you get the harder it is to get a signal near mountains (was in Alaska this summer too). Everyone on the other end of my calls said the sound was better than the Iridium. You really have to get the antenna pointed in the right direction but that's pretty easy, get it in the right direction and hold it there. The battery lasted longer than the Iridium but that may be due to the Inmarsat being newer.

One disadvantage to the Inmarsat when using it for work is the car kit that you can get for Iridium. You can put an Iridium mag-mount antenna on the roof of your truck and just leave the phone on your dash and recieve calls while driving (pull over of course, safety first). You can get reception in any direction while driving. The Iridium needs to be pointed in the proper direction. I did test it out sitting in a suction cup garmin holder on the windshield and it worked okay, as long as you were heading south.

The Inmarsat is a great deal though and works just fine. Whichever one you get, there are odd holes in coverage, even when you have a decent look to the sky, so understand that and be prepared to move across a valley to get signal and not just sit and swear at the phone (unless you bought globalstar, then swear at yourself). The biggest cause of dropped calls I've seen with either phone is if you like to stroll in circles while talking on the phone. Once you get a signal, keep your head completely still.

Gracefull

Reaction score
Thanks LID, i wont be using it for work, just emergency usage,sledding,4x4ing,quadding,ect. so standing in one spot or taking an extra min to register on a network, doesn't seem to bad to me for saving 700 bucks.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to fire up my Uridium I bought and used slightly last year. Battery was dead as a door nail. Tried charging AC and DC no go. Just sent back to Canada Satellite today to check it out. Battery cost 30.00. Buddy said Iridium is really good and probably wont cost anything. We will see about that!!

Maxwe

Reaction score
I ahve used both the Uridium and globestar, Have never had trouble with the uridium and unable to speak to the Inmarset other than some other guys have said they work pretty good. certianly the globestar is a pain around limmited hours of usage. refer to thier chart as to when you recieve reception. http://calltimes.globalstar.ca/

Top Bottom