Interesting thoughts.........shop Canadian!

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a couple food brokers that import the pickles from India for Safeway and Loblaws and yes India is one of the largest exporters of pickles in the world.

I would find this hard to believe also but I read it and went to the fridge. The jar is gone (like in the garbage!) but I was going to scan it as I noticed this awhile ago and was amazed. I haven't got a picture but I know it to be true (for whatever it is worth).

The pickles were bought at Safeway, BTW.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife and I have been trying to shop locally!! We go to the "Farmer's Market's" and such to buy LOCAL stuff. Our meat comes from a local guy that we know and TRUST (unlike all the issues Brooks had the past few years !!). Our eggs come from a fella 4 miles away !! Try and get food, etc. within 50 miles from home !! (Clothes are harder to do that )
It's nothing big ..... but we feel better in helping local people out. We run a small business and hope people use us INSTEAD of "big business". We try to be fair and treat people good ......BUT "big business" will usually beat us with price. It's tough to try and compete...after all we have to put a "can of soup"(make a little money) on the table at the end of the day.
Yeah buying stuff from "big business" , a person has to be careful.The foods come from weird countries, with weird ingredients. We wonder why so many people have weird diseases and such young ages. It has to be from the foods we eat. At least shopping locally , a person can be a little selective, and hopefully healther. Money and health ....two important things !!
Just my 2 cents !!

Last edited:

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife and I have been trying to shop locally!! We go to the "Farmer's Market's" and such to buy LOCAL stuff. Our meat comes from a local guy that we know and TRUST (unlike all the issues Brooks had the past few years !!). Our eggs come from a fella 4 miles away !! Try and get food, etc. within 50 miles from home !! (Clothes are harder to do that )
It's nothing big ..... but we feel better in helping local people out. We run a small business and hope people use us INSTEAD of "big business". We try to be fair and treat people good ......BUT "big business" will usually beat us with price. It's tough to try and compete...after all we have to put a "can of soup"(make a little money) on the table at the end of the day.
Yeah buying stuff from "big business" , a person has to be careful.The foods come from weird countries, with weird ingredients. We wonder why so many people have weird diseases and such young ages. It has to be from the foods we eat. At least shopping locally , a person can be a little selective, and hopefully healther. Money and health ....two important things !!
Just my 2 cents !![/QUOTE

I agree with you the only thing we go to Wal-Mart for is for shampoo and deodorant and stuff like no food at all. We also like buying from farmers markets the one in okotoks is only open in the summer where we do buy meat from. There is also a good farmers market on blackfoot we go to just wish there was a way they could cut there costs a bit so we could do a lot more shopping at farmers markets.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I have 7 bottles of pickles in the fridge.... Bicks (Beets/Dills/Bread&Butter) all product of USA imported by a Canadian company in Ontario. Great Value (walmart) pickled onions & gerkins Product of Canada. McLarens (pickled onions & gerkins) Product of Canada.

So my pickle fetish is good....

linksys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents !!

Bullseye, I think what you are doing is AWESOME....one thing of caution when buying at the farmers markets......avoid the HUTERITES! Do not buy ANYTHING from the Hutterites! Buy from the private produce rinstead but NOT the Hutterites. The Hutterites do not support their local communities...maybe the John Deere or Case dealer and fertilizer outfit but that's it. They do not eat in the local eatery's, they do not shop in the local grocery stores, they do not support the local arena or curling rinks, golf courses, their kids are not in hockey, dancing, soccer, etc. They do ALL their grocery shopping at Costco and other wholesalers and Walmart.

Why would you want to buy produce from the Hoots when there are private local firms right there at the farmers market who support their local community......kinda the same way Walmart buys from local suppliers.....THEY DON"T.

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a very informative thread and some if the info I've read here has opened my eyes to good ol wallyworld. I for one have not stepped foot in one of their stores in over a year now just because I was done byeing cheap inferior products and decided like others to shop as local as possible as I found I can get a better product and it might cost me more but at least the money stays in the community. But that's just my opinion Thanks for the eye opener and look forward to reading more posts

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sure they are great amongst the community, but have no problem selling you Chinese whole chickens that I wouldn't feed my dog. the only reason they give that much back to the community is because they make millions selling sub standard goods that they purchase for dirt cheap. it certainly isn't out of the goodness of their hearts or for the benefit of the people.
Billions

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that too. they get money off me, their prices on certain things like levi's or wrangler jeans can't be beat. optima batteries, sporting goods and hardware....it's nice to have a place where prices are competitive with those farther south. we haven't had anything like that up here...ever. they seem to hire regular folks, not the Filipinos every other fast food or close to minimum wage places are around here.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they may show Product of Canada only because it is packaged / bottled / labelled in Canada. I cant remember the exact figure but if more than xxx was done in Canada then they can show "Product Of Canada".

I have 7 bottles of pickles in the fridge.... Bicks (Beets/Dills/Bread&Butter) all product of USA imported by a Canadian company in Ontario. Great Value (walmart) pickled onions & gerkins Product of Canada. McLarens (pickled onions & gerkins) Product of Canada.

So my pickle fetish is good....

Password

Reaction score
Website
www.superclamp.net
SUPERCLAMPS are 100% proudly CANADIAN made! Check out our new ATV clamp. Some people complain about the price, but my boss Randall refuses to lower the price point by going off shore to manufacture all of our Superclamp products. This way our Manufacturing Plant ,R & D Facility, and Front Office all employ CANADIANS!
http://www.superclamp.net/

A physics teacher in high school once told the students:
That while one grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't slow a train very much, a billion of them would.
With that thought in mind, read the following, obviously Written by a patriotic Canadian:

Shopping in Lowe's the other day for some reason and just for the fun of it I was looking at the garden hose attachments. They were all made in China. The next day I was in Home Hardware and just for the fun of it I checked the hose attachments there. They were made in Canada!

Start looking...

In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - even their job.

A quote from a consumer: “My grandson likes Hershey's candy. I noticed, though, that it is marked made in Mexico now, instead of Smiths Falls, Ontario. I do not buy it any more”.

My favorite toothpaste, Colgate, is made in Mexico now. I have switched to Crest.

You have to read the labels on everything.

This past weekend I was at Wal-Mart. I needed 60W light bulbs. I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off-brand labeled, "Everyday Value". I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats - they were the same except for the price. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in – get ready for this - Canada at a company in Ontario.

Their Equate Products are also made in Canada, and are very good.

Just to add my own experience on buying Made in Canada, I was looking for canned mushrooms that were made in Canada and could never find any, so I would buy fresh. But recently I found Ravine mushrooms - made in Canada with a little red maple leaf on the can. A little more money but when I opened the can I looked at mushrooms that look like real mushrooms, not a mushroom that looks like it was cleaned in bleach.

Another product I no longer buy is Del Monte or Dole canned fruit. Del Monte is packaged in Taiwan and Dole is now a product of China.

Why should we pay for their fruit when our growers are left with fruit rotting on the trees? E.D. Smith is still made in Canada... buy theirs, at least you will know what is in it and have some quality control.

By the way, all pickles with the Presidents Choice label and the No Name yellow label [Superstore] are made in India. Think about it, water from the Ganges is used... yes THAT Ganges, the one that the people use as a toilet.

So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here.

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made In Canada. The job you save may be your own or your neighbor's'! (Your children & grandchildren, also.)

If you accept this challenge, pass it on to others in your address book so we can all start buying Canadian, one light bulb at a time! Stop buying from overseas companies!

(We should have awakened two decades ago.)

Let's get with the program. Help our fellow Canadians keep their jobs and create more jobs here in Canada.

If President Obama insists on a 'Made in America' Policy, which is commendable of him, to support American workers, we should do likewise.

BUY CANADIAN! Read the labels. Support Canadian jobs.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but can we not buy canadian in the us and pay less!! Someone said this already didnt they.
Maybe i should read back

Top Bottom