Important Info Regarding Active Logging on Keystone

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
There will be 8 OR MORE logging trucks a day using the forest service road. It is imperative that we keep big trailers from going up this road because there is NO place to turn around. Parking must NOT interfere with logging traffic!
It is illegal to ride a snowmobile on a plowed forest service road. Vehicles travelling up Keystone road MUST have a VHF radio set on frequency RCFC 153.515
These roads will be monitored and fines will be issued. Failing to follow these procedures may cause complete closure of access to the Keystone riding area this season.
Share this Please!!!! Keystone Sled Map.jpg

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how does one access keystone if we have a trailer ? Will there be a flat ridge plowed along the side of the road we can ride on park the trailers on the hwy like we normally do?

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
No enclosed trailers, no parking and no where to turn around. Unless you have an open 2 place trailer or deck and radio no go. You can not ride your snowmobile on a plowed forest service rd. this will be enforced, you will be fined. Logging is going on now. This includes wknds. they need the road clear for maintenance equipment.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how does one access keystone if we have a trailer ? Will there be a flat ridge plowed along the side of the road we can ride on park the trailers on the hwy like we normally do?
As a logger I can say one of the scariest things we encounter is adrenaline driven sledders whipping up a logging road with out any concern for ongoing commercial traffic. You must remember one careless move on your part can ruin another persons life. Most loggers "make hay" from November to March, if you get into an accident with them and take their truck out of action for a month or more it can be a disaster.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see well that's going to suck... to bad they couldnot plow or make an area for guys to get up there and park safely off the road ... but sweet part is it will keep a lit if people out of there this year

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see well that's going to suck... to bad they couldnot plow or make an area for guys to get up there and park safely off the road ... but sweet part is it will keep a lit if people out of there this year
A forest service road is not a public road, they are privately maintained therefor the liability falls on the company doing the maintenance. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A forest service road is not a public road, they are privately maintained therefor the liability falls on the company doing the maintenance. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.
I understand that but what I'm saying is ... how hard would it to be to plow a section of road to the trail head where and make a small turn around for trailers to get up there ... there are several large pull outs on that trail that would accommodate several trailers ... if they had a spot like that it would prevent people from parking in the trucker way.... there are a lit of people who are going to drive all the way up to keystone who don't go on the Internet expecting to ride .. my opinion they will not turn around and just go ride somewhere else they will either sled up the plowed road or try to get up it with there truck and trailer and en up parking in a less then ideal area ....if there was a spot plowed that was out of the way all this confusion would be avoided just my 2 cents

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand that but what I'm saying is ... how hard would it to be to plow a section of road to the trail head where and make a small turn around for trailers to get up there ... there are several large pull outs on that trail that would accommodate several trailers ... if they had a spot like that it would prevent people from parking in the trucker way.... there are a lit of people who are going to drive all the way up to keystone who don't go on the Internet expecting to ride .. my opinion they will not turn around and just go ride somewhere else they will either sled up the plowed road or try to get up it with there truck and trailer and en up parking in a less then ideal area ....if there was a spot plowed that was out of the way all this confusion would be avoided just my 2 cents
I don't see the forest company footing the bill for the extra work, I would imagine the club would have to.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see the forest company footing the bill for the extra work, I would imagine the club would have to.
If that's the case charge a trail pass ... that would also put somebody there to help with telling people what they can and can't do

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that's the case charge a trail pass ... that would also put somebody there to help with telling people what they can and can't do
Maybe try and bring it up with Kathy (the OP) and see what options there are for something like this?

orangemaddness

Reaction score
Hey everyone with logging going on in some of our favorite riding spots this year I was wondering if anyone can tell me if you can rent a vhf radio in town or maybe suggest a good model and brand for a guy to buy keeping in mind Bang for your buck. Thanks

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear that there is a place in Golden that rents them can't remember who, maybe ask Shadam on here. Not sure if rentals are available in Revy. I know lots of guys that have the self programmable baofeng and like it. I am looking at picking one up for when I need to travel active haul roads to call km as well as have in my pack for communication if something goes wrong.

white rad

Reaction score
Saw several rigs w big trailers that went by us while we were unloading at sale that seemed to be headed to keystone. Didn't see any logging trucks go by so hopefully they weren't running today and those guys didn't cause any problems....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw several rigs w big trailers that went by us while we were unloading at sale that seemed to be headed to keystone. Didn't see any logging trucks go by so hopefully they weren't running today and those guys didn't cause any problems....
Very rare to see logs being hauled on the weekends in BC, usually just service trucks and lowbeds.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very rare to see logs being hauled on the weekends in BC, usually just service trucks and lowbeds.

I think that's changing now though. Lots of companies working in areas where there is only winter access, so only "X" number of days to haul in the winter, the last couple years we have seen constant hauling from a few areas, no matter what day of the week, the trucks were rolling full steam. Radios always required as many of them are not slowing down very much.

As Stompin Tom said, you don't want to fawk up someone's livelihood and they don't want to fawk up your truck and sleds, but make no mistake, if you are on the receiving end of a fully loaded semi you ain't going to win and there's not much you can do but hope he don't push you over the edge of the road. They will only give you some many "freebies" to get out of their way, after that, fawk ya.

Ask them guys who ran into a logging truck in Elkford last year ? or the year before, sucks to be them. Plowing pullouts won't help, once people know they're plowed out, they will fill up just like any other day and then folks coming from the bottom will forge ahead thinking there is a place for them to turn around. Inevitably someone with a 35 ft trailer will blindly follow the truck in front of him in there. Then truckers gotta contend with increased traffic on the road for the guys going to park in the pull outs. Takes a lot of area and a lot of good people to park just a handful of trucks and trailers, and you will always get the douches who leave their ramps out, double parking, etc thinking that it will deter/prevent others from parking there and riding in the area that day. So parking will become a sh!t show and someone will wind up spinning out on ice or turning around on a corner or something stupid because the pullouts are full, and then WHAMO!

Its safer not to plow and then people don't have the option. Just turn around and ride Sale you guys.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone with logging going on in some of our favorite riding spots this year I was wondering if anyone can tell me if you can rent a vhf radio in town or maybe suggest a good model and brand for a guy to buy keeping in mind Bang for your buck. Thanks

Can buy these cheap and they work decent, illegal or not the truckers dont typically care. They just want people communicating rather than kamikaze racing up the road. Few of us have them all have worked great.

orangemaddness

Reaction score
Hey Thanks for the info actually just ordered these off ebay can ask why they are illegal. also heard they are hard to program do u find them hard to use?
Can buy these cheap and they work decent, illegal or not the truckers dont typically care. They just want people communicating rather than kamikaze racing up the road. Few of us have them all have worked great.

Top Bottom