Ice

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After the passing of the couple in a side-by-side on lac st Anne. I wanted to post. We have 13” of ice on a tape measure. Plenty of ice for even a car. But Many Alberta lakes are actually River catch basins. Both ends of our lakes never freeze. Both ends of lac St anne also don’t freeze proper. Basically the big parts of lakes are safe. I would stay out of all inlets and exits and weeded lines. Stick to the good blue ice. Ride safe fish safe.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah the ice is really good quality this year. But is lacking in the amount do to warm weather. Any year the creeks and narrows are always bad. Creeks are usually only good after the snowmobiles has pack the snow and driven the frost in deeper. Some of the bigger lakes are bad for ice heaves those should always be avoided.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. Some locals are staying that it is actually really good quality ice right now as there is now rotten snow layers but as stated, fast moving areas or places with bridge supports are weak
Been here 30 yrs. Both lakes have spots that are dangerous. On a snow year those spots appear as open water/slush and you can see them. This year Driving on dark blue ice at night looks the same as water. Studding tires today I’m gonna go rip up some ice.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all that winter gear on, helmets, boots and seatbelt, i bet the odds of making it up to the surface is zero %. What ever depth of ice they say is safe... double it.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would assume that Niner did his due diligence.. dugout/lake ice is crystal clear and deep this year. Played hockey yesterday on a dugout and besides being low it was froze to the bottom.
River ice.. not so much moving water and sun have stopped the ice layer and are very dangerous right now especially where river narrows and velocity increases its the last to freeze.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drilled a hole in our dugout at our warm up shack yesterday and ice was about 16". There is no inflow though. Just beavers so I would imagine there is some weaker spots

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out on the lake last night. I will admit, it was freaky being there with the new doors on and my 2 year old. I can see that it is well over a foot and the water is probably only up to my knees where we were but still...fatherly instinct I guess.

Still enjoyed the sunset though
1000004003.jpg

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Was out on the lake last night. I will admit, it was freaky being there with the new doors on and my 2 year old. I can see that it is well over a foot and the water is probably only up to my knees where we were but still...fatherly instinct I guess.

Still enjoyed the sunset though
View attachment 277588
Awesome photo!

Top Bottom