how to get more RPMs out of your motor????

KFX Drm Ripper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2008 Kawasaki KFX 450. i'm hitting the rev limit at 8500 rpm's how do i get more rpm out of my motor? is there a program or wire i can cut? on the stock motor 118 KM with mods 118 KM and on the NOS 118 KM ???? there are holy 2 sizes i can get for the front and back 13,14 front 38, 39 rear...

KFX Drm Ripper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's what i'm looking for but can't find it! i can't find anything that will up my rpm or get read of the govern! i have nos.... tell me if this sound right i tryd a 40 shot to see what woud appen and in 5th gear it toke 3 sec to hit the rev limiter but i didn't come close to my top speed ????

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a site you will find a lot of invaluable info on all things Kawasaki! They have a separate section just for the 450/400's too, Great site! Those after market CDI boxes work good and most raise your rev limiter up to 9500.

Kawasaki ATV Forum

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2008 Kawasaki KFX 450. i'm hitting the rev limit at 8500 rpm's how do i get more rpm out of my motor? is there a program or wire i can cut? on the stock motor 118 KM with mods 118 KM and on the NOS 118 KM ???? there are holy 2 sizes i can get for the front and back 13,14 front 38, 39 rear...

who told you that 13-14 and 38-39 was all you could get? check out renthals web site you can go 13-15 for front and 36-19 on rear. Renthal - We Build Championships

KFX Drm Ripper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why?? after 8500 there is nothing but engine rebuild.

because my friend as a dirt bike motor in is quad with the same mods no NOS and he can keep up with me!!! dirt bike motor give out 13000 rpm. didn't know why at first both are 450 on tell we got them on the dyno!!!! then i new why!!!! both Kawasaki motor

KFX Drm Ripper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who told you that 13-14 and 38-39 was all you could get? check out renthals web site you can go 13-15 for front and 36-19 on rear. Renthal - We Build Championships

see that's why i love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i ask??? and people can help and even give me the website to go too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you all every much now i got some money to spin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a juice box on both my predator and raptor and it upped the rev limit from 1000 to 1200rpm and never had a problem with them at all.

jcabieles1986

Reaction score
i have a engine thats stuck it dont wanna kick over i had the top end rebuilt a couple years ago and it has just sat around since then it was never started

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Judging from the title of this thread, your a gravel road rider because your not hitting the rev limiter in a trail unless your staying in first gear, in these cases there will never be a rev limiter high enough for you.
And from being a motorcycle mechanic, I know that rev limiter is there to stop the piston from hitting the valves ( even with the factory limiter, after a while you get valve float or the connecting rod will fail) and it will be a minimum of $4000 to repair.
I'm just informing you now beacuse i have seen it, time and time again. If you want to go faster gear it, if it's still not fast enough, buy a sport bike.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Judging from the title of this thread, your a gravel road rider because your not hitting the rev limiter in a trail unless your staying in first gear, in these cases there will never be a rev limiter high enough for you.
And from being a motorcycle mechanic, I know that rev limiter is there to stop the piston from hitting the valves ( even with the factory limiter, after a while you get valve float or the connecting rod will fail) and it will be a minimum of $4000 to repair.
I'm just informing you now beacuse i have seen it, time and time again. If you want to go faster gear it, if it's still not fast enough, buy a sport bike.

VERY sound advice guys.....the limiter is there for a reason.....your not making any more hp once ur on the limiter....ur floatin' the valves and hurting the engine. Gearing is what it's all about

looneyrod27

Reaction score

@Suzuki ryder if this what your saying about the rev limiter is correct why does yoshi make the cherry bomb for the ltr450? I'm sure they have done their testing. As for 4000 bucks to repair the engine, sounds a little steep I think someone from the cnib could build it a lot cheaper. I rebuild these engines all the time and it don't cost no where near that.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cherry bomb is for race application, as long as the motor is going to shift again it's gunn a be fine. And why would you hold it on the rev limiter anyway? The peak power signs off 2000 RPM sooner. Your just making noise with no go.

If you drop a valve, you'll need to replace all valves and springs (one was stressed enough to break,chances are the other 3 aren't too far behind.why open a motor twice?) cam chain, cylinder will either be replaced(if splits the outside)or re-nikasiled, head will be severly damaged(replace, and will also need valve seals since they don't come from factory with them ), in most cases the connecting rod folds over from a valve jamming and not allowing the rod to make its full stroke, and the center cases may also blow out from the shrapnel. Then add your gasket kit($120) and labour of a good 8-10 hours of disassembly, cleaning, replacing, measuring, re-assembling,re-installing, adding oil ( hopefully your not re using filing filled oil) and start up.

It all adds up quick, and there may be things I've missed. That's a proper way to do it all. If your doing it a lot cheaper than that your crazy, especially if your reputation of rebuilding reliability is on the line. If your not replacing all of those I'm not going to bash you or anything, we all have our views on the remaining strength of the parts that were involved, some may only replace the one valve that was damaged and re-use the spring, but springs fatigue, and the rest of the valve train is questionable. Why not replace it?

You can bash me all you want. I'm just letting him know of what can happen if it's bouncing off the limiter for longer than it should.

Top Bottom