how much for a service job - ranger 800 - 1 yr old .. 75 hrs.

subzero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dropped my ranger 800 off today , left a note to
- change oil & filter
- lube
- check other fluids
- reset hour meter
- said the shift was a little stiff

they changed oil filter, oil , all fliuids ...
bill $320 .00 , seems a little high ???
what does everyone think was it high ... ?
how many people do their own oil changes ? repairs ?

Buster

Reaction score
welcome to the world of alberta dealers (toys are big $$$$)

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya for simple things like that, any average joe can do it. Like previously stated, buy oil, filter, spark plugs etc from an automotive store if possible. About 1/5 of the price of dealer stuff.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cycle works west. 250 per unit. Same price for quad. Street bike. Utv. At that price I let them do it. For 350 I would do it my self.

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do not take this as an attack at the dealer mentioned above but what do you really think your getting for that price. That's less then one hours labour rate. That must be changing only engine oil. All other fluids extra?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I do everything myself the interweeb and youtube and tons of instructions and like I always say it's just nuts and bolt just remember where they go and what order pretty simple

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dropped my ranger 800 off today , left a note to
- change oil & filter
- lube
- check other fluids
- reset hour meter
- said the shift was a little stiff

they changed oil filter, oil , all fliuids ...
bill $320 .00 , seems a little high ???
what does everyone think was it high ... ?
how many people do their own oil changes ? repairs ?

For a second I thought you took it to our local dealer ha ha!! Check your bill carefully, I took the wifes XP850 in for it's first service which is all fluids except coolant and brakes. They charged me for a full litre of front diff, full litre of ADC fluid, full litre for rear diff. Took a look in the service manual and each ones holds no more then 1/2 litre, I think the ADC was like 300ml. Wouldn't be bad if the fluids were a $1 or $2 per litre but at $12 - $20/litre I was pretty pissedoff. I would have even been fine with taking the remaining litre bottles home to do future services on my own. In the end they reimbursed me about $40 but wonder how many people don't bother looking, after just a few services they would have paid for enough to do services for free on all their trade ins and own personal quads. Just not right.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do all my own services, atv, car, truck so on...far far far cheaper and I use Amsoil in everything! I just bought the oil (3 quarts) and 2 oil filters for the old kitty and it cost me $60, couldn't imagine what a dealer would charge me.:confused::rolleyes: Bought 4 quarts gear oil last year for $20, and the last time I was in RDPS it was $18ish for ONE quart. LMAO

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your atv is on warranty, you may want the dealer to provide the service otherwise you may not get warranty, off warranty it is up to you.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do your first service,and keep the paperwork on a new machine.................then your good to go on your own..........

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do your first service,and keep the paperwork on a new machine.................then your good to go on your own..........

I agree with RZRGADE. It doesn't hurt to start a relationship with your dealer by taking it in for your first service/valve adjustment. Other than that, I'd have to sell my home if I took my machines in for service everytime they need a little attention. ...in any case, anything over $150 (or so) for the service you got seems a little like rape to me.

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just tell them to charge for a little extra oil up front so when you go to pay it doesn't hurt so much when they bend you over.

Top Bottom