How do you hotwire a polaris ultra?

jkrabben

Reaction score
So i put a 680 ultra motor in a 2001 mc chasis, everything is working good except im having electrical problems, i tried to hot wire the ignition, all i did was put the 2 black wires together and grounded the brown one, sometimes it will have spark and sometimes it doesnt, how do you hot wire it correctly? thanks

Attachments

• 221995_10150164842370334_530920333_7328570_4276773_n.jpg
    221995_10150164842370334_530920333_7328570_4276773_n.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 246

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i put a 680 ultra motor in a 2001 mc chasis, everything is working good except im having electrical problems, i tried to hot wire the ignition, all i did was put the 2 black wires together and grounded the brown one, sometimes it will have spark and sometimes it doesnt, how do you hot wire it correctly? thanks

unplug ignition switch

jkrabben

Reaction score
alright, ill keep farting around with it, its just weird that it has spark sometimes, like ill drive it around then shut it off and it doesnt have spark again so i dont know

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure your handlebar warmers are shut off.....unplug everything up in the handle bars.....even the kill switch and plug one thing in at a time till you loose the spark.......when you ground out the ignition......then you loose the spark! I think lol coil could get hot and short out......then when it get cool it works again? so many ways you could go with this!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got her done eh? Sweeet! Hopefully it works good once you get the electrical figured out!

jkrabben

Reaction score
Got her done eh? Sweeet! Hopefully it works good once you get the electrical figured out!

It runs really good, the engine is sitting about 3-4 inchs higher than where the 800 motor sat so it feels really easy to throw around. It took me and my buddy about 5 hrs to make some new motor mounts and to get all the measurements figured out for the clutching, now we just need to find some air filters and possibly some triple pipes.

jkrabben

Reaction score
make sure your handlebar warmers are shut off.....unplug everything up in the handle bars.....even the kill switch and plug one thing in at a time till you loose the spark.......when you ground out the ignition......then you loose the spark! I think lol coil could get hot and short out......then when it get cool it works again? so many ways you could go with this!

So i shouldnt ground the one wire from the ignition? i read somewhere that to disconnect the ignition you disconect the main wiring harness connector coming out of your recoil, will this get rid of the ignition all together and then just shut off the sled with the kill switch? Sorry for all the confusion im just kinda lost on what i need to do?

thanks

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't know how much of the Ultra wiring harness you are using so this is pretty basic information for you. Do you have a good clean ground connection on the coils? Are you talking about the two black leads at the CDI module? One should go to the coils where it is grounded and the other black should go to the stator where it joins the brown at the engine ground. You don't want a ground on the Blk/W wire at the CDI because that is the wire that kills the spark when it gets a ground on it from the key, throttle safety switch, or kill switch. The Ultra also had an exhaust thermocouple switch which would kill the spark if it got too hot. Maybe it is not working properly. It would also ground out the Blk/W lead to the CDI.
The best way to hot wire it is to disconnect the Blk/W wire at the CDI. At least that may help to isolate the intermittent spark problem. If it clears it up then you know the stator and CDI are good. Good Luck.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i shouldnt ground the one wire from the ignition? i read somewhere that to disconnect the ignition you disconect the main wiring harness connector coming out of your recoil, will this get rid of the ignition all together and then just shut off the sled with the kill switch? Sorry for all the confusion im just kinda lost on what i need to do?

thanks

No don't disconnect the main harness from the stator. That will kill everything including kill switch etc.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all you have to do is unplug with wiring harness from the back of the ignition and your done. ignition is bypassed.

Top Bottom