House AC

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just Booked Reliance to come in a give us a quote. Might as well get them to quote a new water heater also. Works fine but when we use the whole tank like for the hot tub or jacuzzi tub the water is discoloured. I assume it is maybe rusty inside the tank.

Just had Reliance finish installing my AC. Longer read but worth it for those shopping for a company and installation.
Word of advice....make sure you get in house installers from reliance to do the work.

My installation date was Thursday June 8th.
I received a call (930am) from my installer, saying he's running behind (should be here in 30-35 minutes) but to let his assistant in to begin work. The assistant arrived around 1030h.
The assistant remarked in broken English he is here to install.... I questioned him about his credentials but due to his poor English we never really established that.

I called the Reliance Advisor, who sold me on the company, asking about the installers and if they are in house or contracted. I got a reply back that all installers are certified & licensed and that they follow quality checks. He said they do have regular sub contractors and guarantee their work. However he did not answer if I was getting in house or subcontractors.

The assistant worked alone until the other guy arrived past 1230pm with the condenser unit and coils. By 4pm the assistant left, after installing the coil in the plenum.

The main (late) installer, connected lines and power and got the system started. By 530pm he said he wanted to call it a day and come back tomorrow to finish. He needed to bring a 30amp breaker to replace the 20amp one he installed. He also needed PVC piping to reroute and reconnect my furnace intake/exhaust vents. I asked what time he wanted to come back on Friday (the next day). He said around 6pm as he would be on another job until then.

The next day, Friday June 9th he called me near 630pm asking how late he can come, he wanted to come after 930pm. I said no, its too late then. He asked about Saturday and I told him I'd talk with my wife (I wasn't going to be home Saturday) and I'd call him back in 15 minutes. I returned his call, he did not answer but I left a voicemail message. I said he can come Saturday June 10th to finish.

He did not return my call. He did not show.

Fast forward to Monday morning June 12th, five days after the install date, I called (around10am) the Service Advisor from Reliance, asking him wtf is going on here. He had no idea the job was not done. No one checked. No one called. About a half hour later I was told someone will call and deal with this as he was out of town.

At this point, my AC was connected, running but not finished. Inside, things needed to be sealed up on the furnace plenum. A different breaker needed to be installed. My furnace, which they disabled to facilitate the installation of the coils was in pieces needing to be reconnected. And the area needed cleaning, which wasn't done. Outside, the main installer ran a bead of silicone around the top and visible parts of the lines now going in the house. He did not seal up underneath. The breaker box was also not sealed along the bottom. Furthermore, he did not seal the hole through the siding that the power wire passes through. But did conceal that with the breaker installed over the hole. My issue here - if your going to cut a hole in my siding for access, you better damn well seal up around the opening you just created.

Back to Monday morning......by 1037am I had an answer as to what become of finishing this install and getting my furnace back into operating condition. I received a call from the Installation Manager who said they cannot send anyone today as they do not have staff to do so. But they will send someone tomorrow, Tuesday June 13th and gave me a time of 12-4pm.

Tuesday morning at 1130am an installer from reliance called saying he will be here at 12 noon. He did arrive at that time. We surveyed the damage, that is the incomplete install. These two were Reliance in house installers. We discussed the issues. I asked how long it takes them to install an AC unit on average. He said about 2hrs and that they could of had mine done in that time. He commented that the work done looks like it was done by someone either in a rush or new and sloppy. They sealed everything outside, removing the breaker and sealing the hole for the power wire. They capped the the service valve ports (neglected by first crew). They removed the sheet metal inside to check the coils were set up right and then sealed it properly. The furnace was repaired and the breaker was changed. Although we both commented that the electrical line running to the panel was a little tight and should be longer. They left at 2pm.

So, original install date of Thursday June 8th, all work done by 2pm June 13th. Acceptable? What do you think?

First crew was a sub-contractor, finish crew was an inhouse crew. Of note, any experience I've had with sub-contractors have been less than satisfying. The in house crew today was fantastic!

Originally I received quotes from Reliance and Arpi's. I had a third company who pushed back the quote date, which was later than i wanted so I did not get a third quote. Arpi's installed my Lennox furnace a few years back, did a good job. The Reliance Advisor sold me on the company and price of the AC unit over the Arpi's guy who seemed indifferent when he delivered his quote. Reliance worked harder, wanting my business.

Regrets........

Curious that while the Reliance GM of Western Canada, the Calgary Sales Manager, the Calgary Installation Manager and the Calgary Ops Manager were all made aware of this fckup, the only call I received was from the Installation Manger yesterday to arrange todays completion and the crew that showed up. Even the Service Advisor who is to oversee all this, still no calls to check to see if I am now a satisfied customer. Kind of like the silence I had from Friday June 9th to Monday June 12th.

So there's my Reliance Home Comfort "experience".

With one exception, the call the day before the install. A noon call saying the AC unit I was to have installed is damaged upon inspection and I was given two options of replacement in order to keep my install date. My options were a builders grade model off chute of Trane or a non-current Carrier model. So I spent the day researching which of the two options were the lessor of two evils. They couldn't just substitute for the same model as all were spoken for in upcoming installation dates. Non of which were next day, like me. By 830pm, my Reliance Service Advisor told me they are bringing a unit down from Edmonton to install what I had originally contracted them to install. The pre-sh*tshow before the main event!!

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had Reliance finish installing my AC. Longer read but worth it for those shopping for a company and installation.
Word of advice....make sure you get in house installers from reliance to do the work.

My installation date was Thursday June 8th.
I received a call (930am) from my installer, saying he's running behind (should be here in 30-35 minutes) but to let his assistant in to begin work. The assistant arrived around 1030h.
The assistant remarked in broken English he is here to install.... I questioned him about his credentials but due to his poor English we never really established that.

I called the Reliance Advisor, who sold me on the company, asking about the installers and if they are in house or contracted. I got a reply back that all installers are certified & licensed and that they follow quality checks. He said they do have regular sub contractors and guarantee their work. However he did not answer if I was getting in house or subcontractors.

The assistant worked alone until the other guy arrived past 1230pm with the condenser unit and coils. By 4pm the assistant left, after installing the coil in the plenum.

The main (late) installer, connected lines and power and got the system started. By 530pm he said he wanted to call it a day and come back tomorrow to finish. He needed to bring a 30amp breaker to replace the 20amp one he installed. He also needed PVC piping to reroute and reconnect my furnace intake/exhaust vents. I asked what time he wanted to come back on Friday (the next day). He said around 6pm as he would be on another job until then.

The next day, Friday June 9th he called me near 630pm asking how late he can come, he wanted to come after 930pm. I said no, its too late then. He asked about Saturday and I told him I'd talk with my wife (I wasn't going to be home Saturday) and I'd call him back in 15 minutes. I returned his call, he did not answer but I left a voicemail message. I said he can come Saturday June 10th to finish.

He did not return my call. He did not show.

Fast forward to Monday morning June 12th, five days after the install date, I called (around10am) the Service Advisor from Reliance, asking him wtf is going on here. He had no idea the job was not done. No one checked. No one called. About a half hour later I was told someone will call and deal with this as he was out of town.

At this point, my AC was connected, running but not finished. Inside, things needed to be sealed up on the furnace plenum. A different breaker needed to be installed. My furnace, which they disabled to facilitate the installation of the coils was in pieces needing to be reconnected. And the area needed cleaning, which wasn't done. Outside, the main installer ran a bead of silicone around the top and visible parts of the lines now going in the house. He did not seal up underneath. The breaker box was also not sealed along the bottom. Furthermore, he did not seal the hole through the siding that the power wire passes through. But did conceal that with the breaker installed over the hole. My issue here - if your going to cut a hole in my siding for access, you better damn well seal up around the opening you just created.

Back to Monday morning......by 1037am I had an answer as to what become of finishing this install and getting my furnace back into operating condition. I received a call from the Installation Manager who said they cannot send anyone today as they do not have staff to do so. But they will send someone tomorrow, Tuesday June 13th and gave me a time of 12-4pm.

Tuesday morning at 1130am an installer from reliance called saying he will be here at 12 noon. He did arrive at that time. We surveyed the damage, that is the incomplete install. These two were Reliance in house installers. We discussed the issues. I asked how long it takes them to install an AC unit on average. He said about 2hrs and that they could of had mine done in that time. He commented that the work done looks like it was done by someone either in a rush or new and sloppy. They sealed everything outside, removing the breaker and sealing the hole for the power wire. They capped the the service valve ports (neglected by first crew). They removed the sheet metal inside to check the coils were set up right and then sealed it properly. The furnace was repaired and the breaker was changed. Although we both commented that the electrical line running to the panel was a little tight and should be longer. They left at 2pm.

So, original install date of Thursday June 8th, all work done by 2pm June 13th. Acceptable? What do you think?

First crew was a sub-contractor, finish crew was an inhouse crew. Of note, any experience I've had with sub-contractors have been less than satisfying. The in house crew today was fantastic!

Originally I received quotes from Reliance and Arpi's. I had a third company who pushed back the quote date, which was later than i wanted so I did not get a third quote. Arpi's installed my Lennox furnace a few years back, did a good job. The Reliance Advisor sold me on the company and price of the AC unit over the Arpi's guy who seemed indifferent when he delivered his quote. Reliance worked harder, wanting my business.

Regrets........

Curious that while the Reliance GM of Western Canada, the Calgary Sales Manager, the Calgary Installation Manager and the Calgary Ops Manager were all made aware of this fckup, the only call I received was from the Installation Manger yesterday to arrange todays completion and the crew that showed up. Even the Service Advisor who is to oversee all this, still no calls to check to see if I am now a satisfied customer. Kind of like the silence I had from Friday June 9th to Monday June 12th.

So there's my Reliance Home Comfort "experience".

With one exception, the call the day before the install. A noon call saying the AC unit I was to have installed is damaged upon inspection and I was given two options of replacement in order to keep my install date. My options were a builders grade model off chute of Trane or a non-current Carrier model. So I spent the day researching which of the two options were the lessor of two evils. They couldn't just substitute for the same model as all were spoken for in upcoming installation dates. Non of which were next day, like me. By 830pm, my Reliance Service Advisor told me they are bringing a unit down from Edmonton to install what I had originally contracted them to install. The pre-sh*tshow before the main event!!
Did they get permits/inspections for both HVAC and electrical?

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 hrs to install A/C, lol, pressure test, evacuation and proper start up almost take that long
Definitely sounds like an unorganized and unprofessional install.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have legacy plumbing and heating coming to quote an install on my place. Some good info on here for sure of questions to ask and answers to get in writing

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they get permits/inspections for both HVAC and electrical?
Haven't seen them yet. Reliance said I need to contact the city and have the system inspected, quoting the permit number - for which I don't have. Just giving them a couple of days to see if I hear back before I call them myself.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same issues getting anyone to quote a ac or a date to install. If you have a bungalow look into mini split heat pumps. I ended up going that direction and installed it myself. Buy an Amazon vac pump and spend a couple hours watching YouTube. I’ve put in 5 now, they work great and for 1/5 of the price my house has ac and heat if I needed it in a pinch with the heat pump.

Top Bottom