House AC

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well as things are starting to fall into place today we decided that we should invest in getting central AC put in. Seems like the cost is around 10G. Any recommendations??? Need to get some quick quotes and get er done.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 grand?

We paid 3800.00 installed

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would shop around I got AC and the heater installed in garage for $6800 and I am sure the grande prairie tax was worked in there, 1500 sqft house.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My mom was quoted $3200 installed. 1300 sq ft in redwater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well then I guess we had better shop around. Two people we know just got it done and they said 10g. Seems like more everyone that has replied here and elsewhere say 3-6G range. Thanks guys. This makes it ever easier to get done.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$10 g's is ridiculous. $3-4 g's is more like what it should cost. We paid a friend cash and it was $2800 2 summers ago.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just Booked Reliance to come in a give us a quote. Might as well get them to quote a new water heater also. Works fine but when we use the whole tank like for the hot tub or jacuzzi tub the water is discoloured. I assume it is maybe rusty inside the tank.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the main push for this is the fact were are going from a light coloured house into a very dark one paint wise and also doing the roof from light grey into an almost black. I think AC will be required. We have the little ones you put in front of windows but might be time to retire those

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Paid around $3200 for mine complete through Action furnace and have been treated great by them. It was good enough service that we had my Aunts house in Beaumont and my mom's place in Leduc done through them as well for about the same price. After having it for a little over a year I don't know how I was able to live without A/c before LOL.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$3800 , six years ago with electrician , as that is extra.
1780 square foot house plus fully developed basement.
Switched out furnace last year also as 17 years old .Changed out motor twice then mother board and then was giving trouble again.
Made a huge difference as well as didn't realize it wasn't working like it should.
Would never have a house without ac either after having it.

f7sp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of off topic, but my neighbor has his drain water from his air conditioner plumbed into his sewer, and eventually it ate away at the concrete in the tank. He had a rep out from Alberta wilbert and he says he has to replace the tank and the drain water is to blame. Anyone ever here of this? His unit is a lg one that sits outside the house and plumbed into the furnace.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of off topic, but my neighbor has his drain water from his air conditioner plumbed into his sewer, and eventually it ate away at the concrete in the tank. He had a rep out from Alberta wilbert and he says he has to replace the tank and the drain water is to blame. Anyone ever here of this? His unit is a lg one that sits outside the house and plumbed into the furnace.

I'm thinking it's not from his ac as I'm pretty sure that's just humidity pulled from the air. the water that comes from high efficiency furnaces is very acidic. That being said my plumber friend was trying to push a device that neutralizes that water and I have a concert tank so I should probably get one.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The prices on ac is just like everything else in life there's cheap ones and good ones. I just got a sl18xc Lennox ac. when I told the guy that's what I wanted he said nobody buys nice anymore and they have only sold 1 other ac like that one in two years. I don't have it hooked up yet but apparently ppl on the interweb say they have to go out side and feel it to see if it's still running.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we paid about $4k to get it done by a friend but it's a bigger unit... We are in a 2400 sq ft two story plus the basement. And yes it's probably the best addition to our house as it's worth every $.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
when we replace our furnace we will do the full climate control.... until then, my 2 window units work like a hot damn, for the minimal use I need them and the cost I have no issues with my 2 little window units.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's not from his ac as I'm pretty sure that's just humidity pulled from the air. the water that comes from high efficiency furnaces is very acidic. That being said my plumber friend was trying to push a device that neutralizes that water and I have a concert tank so I should probably get one.

It is from the furnace not the ac. The condansate water from high efficiency furnaces is corrosive. Plumb your condenser drain line into a a 5 gallon Bucket half filled with crushed limestone rock with a bulk head fitting out the bottom to your floor drain it will do the exact same thing as the nuetrilizers that are sold

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should be in the $3-$4000 range. It all depends on how easy the electrical is to do, how effiecent you want it and how quiet you you it to be.

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dollar and having to use a higher SEER ratings have driven the price up over the last few years. Rule of thumb is 600 sq' per ton. Only the above ground counts. Contractor price ranges from 1500 for a 1.5 ton to 2500 for a 5 ton unit. Then you have to pay for install and electrical. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom