House AC

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dollar and having to use a higher SEER ratings have driven the price up over the last few years. Rule of thumb is 600 sq' per ton. Only the above ground counts. Contractor price ranges from 1500 for a 1.5 ton to 2500 for a 5 ton unit. Then you have to pay for install and electrical. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to meet the guys charging $10k for an a/c install and ask what their secret is to getting paid.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure it was from the furnace not the A/C
It is from the furnace not the ac. The condansate water from high efficiency furnaces is corrosive. Plumb your condenser drain line into a a 5 gallon Bucket half filled with crushed limestone rock with a bulk head fitting out the bottom to your floor drain it will do the exact same thing as the nuetrilizers that are sold

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish I could get 10 g for an air conditioner. Usually $3500 to $4000, depending on how big a system and how hard to install, and where you live. I estimate 1 ton per 600 square, but some go 1 per 800 (above ground ). Be sure that the furnace and ductwork can support it or you will have freeze up problems. I could help you out if you want, if you hire someone else, ask how deep a vacuum he pulled during the install. It MUST be evacuated under 1000 Microns, but I prefer closer to 350 (less is better). If he doesn't know what you are talking about don't pay him.

Good luck, It is totally worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is my advice coming from a contractors point of view.
1) Don't get to carried away with the efficiency rating. Your A/C simply will not running long enough to pay for the difference in price. If you lived in place like Houston where A/C is use all year for temperature and humidity control yes but here it can never pay for its self. The lowest efficient unit available today exceeds the highest efficiency unit from ten years ago.
2) Stick with a brand name Lenox, Carrier or the brands made by them (they do make the same units with different names) In any case no chineze made equipment they are simply not serviceable and are throw away crap
3) Be careful of low prices make sure your contractor has been around for awhile and has a good reputation in case there is a problem in or out of warranty

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok honestly how many days a year are you running your AC in Edmonton or GP?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Poor insulation or don't believe in opening windows in the evening/night? Mine has been switched on for a couple weeks but only run maybe 5 days so far this year and that's the Okanagan. When I lived up north I could see using it for maybe 10 days a summer.

mbmb

Reaction score
I work for a major HVAC contractor, many of our techs do central A/C installs (local to Edmonton) on the weekend for themselves, I don't think they charge that much. For the average size home (say 1400sq.ft) cost ALL IN shouldn't be more than $3,800 depending if route for ref piping /elec is easy to access.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mines running right now,I turn it on and leave it at 70 its so nice to walk into a cool house, dont know how i lived without it.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I turn the bedroom one on 1hr before bed if it is warmer than 18C outside otherwise I leave the AC off and just run the fan, we are on the 2nd floor and even with the ceiling fans heat rises. The main floor unit only gets used in the evenings on hot sunny days. If I close all the curtains and crank the AC I can get the house down from 80F to 68F in about an hour.

I like the idea of a central air where you set it and forget it and will do one when our current furnace chits the bed but for now my $400 investment is working just fine, walkout basement is always cool/cold (the deck keeps all sun off the windows) the other 2100 sq/ft relys on the window units as needed.

togo ripper

Reaction score
How big of a house are you putting it in and how new of a furnace? I would also recommended getting a refrigeration/air conditioning mechanic to do the install, no offence but most plumbers don't know how to install properly and the tin guys are totally lost

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How big of a house are you putting it in and how new of a furnace? I would also recommended getting a refrigeration/air conditioning mechanic to do the install, no offence but most plumbers don't know how to install properly and the tin guys are totally lost
Hey I am a A/C mechanic and I have to say that the Alberta program for sheet metal (tin guys) certifies them to five tons. There program is 4 X 10 weeks not 3 X 8 week program most other provices have. Some of the best residential A/C installers I have seen in the last 40 years are sheet metal workers.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok honestly how many days a year are you running your AC in Edmonton or GP?

This year we had some pretty hot days already I keep mine at 18c in the house I work in 40c buildings at times. When I get home its a good feeling walking in the door and getting instant cool down. I also had a window mounted unit in my old place it was noisy and ran my power bill up probably a extra $100 in August,July now I don't notice a difference fairly even through out the year.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it will be worth it for us. The dog prefers it cooler too. If he is cool at night we all sleep better. Means he stays asleep which means the wife stays sleeping which means I stay asleep!!

togo ripper

Reaction score
Sheet metal guys definitely do great work on the coil install just most of the ones I've know don't really know what they are doing on the piping aspect, that's all i meant

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok my AC isnt working, perfect timing.... FFS Trips the breaker, and sounds like the compressor isnt working. the fan still kicks in, if the breaker doesnt trip

Is it worth or even possible fixing the unit or just replace? Can you just replace the outside unit with out changing the stuff on the furnace?

Thanks

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your compressor is bitched. If you wanted could just change the condensing unit if it’s R410a not R22. You could also just change the compressor if you wanted but would probably be close to the same price as just the condensing unit. Depending on who you get to do the job might be similar price to just change the condensing unit and evap as the piping is there and wiring is done. If I was closer to you I’d help you out but think your up by red deer.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could replace the capacitor or try a hard start kit but does sound like the compressor is locked or shorted to ground. Could also be a poor connection at contactor or compressor terminals. getzcold is correct if it needs replacing .

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your compressor is bitched. If you wanted could just change the condensing unit if it’s R410a not R22. You could also just change the compressor if you wanted but would probably be close to the same price as just the condensing unit. Depending on who you get to do the job might be similar price to just change the condensing unit and evap as the piping is there and wiring is done. If I was closer to you I’d help you out but think your up by red deer.

Re

Ya im Red Deer area. Thanks, Ill get someone local to take a look at it.

See what my options are i guess

🍻

Top Bottom