Horsey Creek

cat pride 2009

Reaction score
hey guys just checking out the snowmobile riding area map around Mc bride anyone have any useful info about Horsey creek.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
you wont see any maps of horsey... kinda of a death trap going in and the s & r dont respond to calls for there

but if you get in, you have the backcountry all to yourselves and all the untouched pow.

but like i said its risky business

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did it last year and it was amazing! Sketchy, but fun. The trail wont be built for some time I believe. A local guy and some other volunteers cut it along side the creek. It's a EXPERIANCED LONG TRACK ONLY kind of trail! If you do make it up and are able to play around the only other worriy is getting down the chute(creek) That's the worst part of the day.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost lost it once coming down that chute-waterfall, go with a guide and know your stuff, high avy area. Not for the faint of heart.

Swirlibirdz

Reaction score
This is the very first place I went to when I started riding. It was alot of work but worth it once you get up. You cannot get up until the ice bridge is set up. Usually the end of December maybe latter this year. The local guy is no taking car of the bottom trail >please remember to leave him some money in the donation located near the entrance.

I wouldn't suggest going there without someone that knows the area. Alot of steep slops.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the very first place I went to when I started riding. It was alot of work but worth it once you get up. You cannot get up until the ice bridge is set up. Usually the end of December maybe latter this year. The local guy is no taking car of the bottom trail >please remember to leave him some money in the donation located near the entrance.

I wouldn't suggest going there without someone that knows the area. Alot of steep slops.

Really, what kind of message are you trying to send. I would suggest that any time your going somewhere your not familar with that you go with someone that knows the area

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really, what kind of message are you trying to send. I would suggest that any time your going somewhere your not familar with that you go with someone that knows the area

I would assume he's Implying that you should not go without balls or a guide.
The lord hates a coward.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you wont see any maps of horsey... kinda of a death trap going in and the s & r dont respond to calls for there

but if you get in, you have the backcountry all to yourselves and all the untouched pow.

but like i said its risky business

A group of 4 of us spent a day with Mac the beginning of Dec last year making the trail in there. We only made it about half way and had to call it a day. He said that was the earliest he had ever attemped to get in. When we left he said there was about half a day left to get in there. I still have never made it to the alpine there.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a large area but good once you get in. I have posted on this area before and it is not a high avy area, it is an extreme avy area hence no S&R rescue. Have seen avy's between the lakes go right into the trees at the cliff line. There would be no outrunning that one. Most slides run into the trees or terrain traps, pulling the handle on your bag will not save your AZZ! Rider beware for sure. Not that hard getting in until the throttle junkies trench it out and hammer out the trail. Just another creek to climb but short tracks are not gonna make it here.

Ski Pol

Reaction score
I've made it on a short track twice! Once in 05 and again in 06! I do agree It can be high avy area, that's where I saw my first avy. Our guide got caught and broke his handle bars and then rode his sled out with broken bars and rope tide to the ski loops to turn! Craziest thing I ever saw!

cat pride 2009

Reaction score
Thanks soo much for the posts guys. I would never venture out there without someone knowing the area. Cant wait to hit the hills

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in there once buddy that brought us in had his brakes fail when we were leaving so we took the spare belts off of our sled and wraped them around his ski tips then tied the back of his sled to the front of mine so i could be his brakes. It was good until we got to the creek then it got a little sketchy. Lets just say a very fast trip down. I will not do that again. Any way thats my story of horse creek. Beautiful place though. if you dont mind playing with your life. I can say i dont think i will ever go back. But thats just me must be getting old.

faller_1

Reaction score
love the area ,use common sence.
I recomend walker creek forest service road this will take into the Kakwa area and is accesable through grand cache alberta and walker creek forest service area dome mountain is just as nice, get your shovel out whenever posible and test the layers of snow.
when you get good at it your probe will also work if you insert it gently through the snow you can feel the sugar and use a pecil or some thig that will mark the layers

don't be scarred be prepared and remember you are the softest thing out there!!

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We broke in there before,, rode there many times what a blast breaking in up the creek!! Once trail is broke you can get up with short track.. Really nice area but small,, 8 or nine small lakes back there,nice spot but risky climbing :eek: no run outs etc..

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was there a short track COULD NOT make it, and sat at the bottom of the crik while his buddies went and played!

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres a cpl pics of the creek going up and in.. Then a cpl of the alpine

Attachments

• 2009 Horsey Crrek 003.jpg
    2009 Horsey Crrek 003.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 863
  • 2009 Horsey Crrek 011.jpg
    2009 Horsey Crrek 011.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 852
  • 2009 Horsey Crrek 010.jpg
    2009 Horsey Crrek 010.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 883
  • 2009 Horsey Crrek 017.jpg
    2009 Horsey Crrek 017.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 832
  • 2009 Horsey Crrek 015.jpg
    2009 Horsey Crrek 015.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 839

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres a cpl pics of the creek going up and in.. Then a cpl of the alpine

Took us a cpl hrs to break in that day was alot of fun:)

Attachments

• 2009 Horsey Crrek 020.jpg
    2009 Horsey Crrek 020.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 826
  • 2009 Horsey Crrek 018.jpg
    2009 Horsey Crrek 018.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 821
  • 2009 Horsey Crrek 025.jpg
    2009 Horsey Crrek 025.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 831

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's definately a nice area up there but about 8+ yrs ago was in a small avy up there and that was enough to keep me out not to mention the trail conditions. Nice pics, brings back memories.

Top Bottom