Honda 4-Stroke Maintenance & Advice?

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so as many of you already know, I recently purchased a 2007 Honda CRF 150R. I am pretty unfamiliar with running a 4-stroke, just coming off of a 2 smoker so I wanted to seek some information, advice, or whatever all you knowledgable prospects have to offer so I can get some basic know-how of my new machine. I just bought the thing, I haven't even ridden it yet and i'm hoping to get it out for the first time this weekend and I literally know nothing about it..other than it seems to be in pretty damn good shape. So anything you guys can help me out with.. maintenance wise (oil & filter changes, etc, etc) what to watch for in regards to the valves..or anything else..is greatly appreciated!:d

RapidKaty

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
this is what your service manual suggests:
every 7.5 hrs:
replace drive chain and fork oil and lubricate swingarm/shock linkage

every 15.0hrs
replace engine oil,oil filter,

and it says basically after every ride to lubricate your chain and cables and inspect everything from cables to the coolant.

I would suggest just keeping her clean and check it over after everyride and you shouldn't have any problems

just a few extra things to help:

spark plug-cr8eh9 (standard) or cr9eh9
engine oil capacity- 0.59 litre at oil change
recommended engine oil- 10w-30 or 10w40(recommended)
drive chain slack-35-45mm
cold tire pressure-15psi

I hope this helps

Katy
Rapid Revolutions
780-455-7553

CrazyCanuk

Reaction score
I'm not too sure about the Honda's, but if they are anything like the Kawi's, you shouldn't have much to worry about.
My friend and I have been running 4 strokes for the last couple years and have never had any problems w/ the valves needing to be adjusted, every time we checked they were in-spec.
Fouling plugs is almost non existant.
We change the oil in them quite regularly, every 2 tanks of gas or so, filter every second one. Keeping the air filter clean is very important, so clean it after every ride.
Thats just my $0.02 but it has worked well for us.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious to know how you check the valves?...and what should I be looking for? How do you know when u should check the valves, etc?

I obviously know how to change the oil and air filter in a 2 stroke, but when I watched people do this on a big 450, I notice there was a small little filter, which to me looked like an oil filter, when the oil was being changed.....??? I don't have a manual for the bike, I should get one but usually I find that the specifications and what not in there are a bit overkill and more directed towards machines that are raced or ridden quite hard.... in which case does not apply to me, I do not race or bag a bike very hard ...

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey ladydirt, i had ur exact bike and plus i have had 4 strokes for a long time now. all you have to do to check the valves is take the tank and shrouds off and there will be plenty of room. there is 1 or 2 allen bolts on the top of the valve chamber. pop that off ( no oil will be lost so no worries) when of youll see ur cam and ur 4 valves. check the clearances and once and i while youll just adjust em by replaceing the shims. simple and fast. i found that on my race bike ya i had to do it more offten. but the 4 strokes were and are solid and unless your bouncing off the rev limiter all day you valves will stay the same for a long time. hope this helps ya.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya if you have stock air filter chuck it and throw in a twinair. they run better and cleaner with a good filter. clean every ride like said above and lube it up. also basic things like only run premium in the things they perform so much better. use 10w-40 its the best bang for your buck and i suggest amsoil. awesome stuff. i bought me 07 crf150r brand new and sold it last year...did the valve shims once. dont be over concerned

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do everything dirtbiker77 said. he def knows what he's talking about.. and yes I would run premium or gas with octane booster in it and it will run way better! have fun on the new bike, congrats!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is what your service manual suggests:
every 7.5 hrs:
replace drive chain and fork oil and lubricate swingarm/shock linkage

every 15.0hrs
replace engine oil,oil filter,

and it says basically after every ride to lubricate your chain and cables and inspect everything from cables to the coolant.

I would suggest just keeping her clean and check it over after everyride and you shouldn't have any problems

just a few extra things to help:

spark plug-cr8eh9 (standard) or cr9eh9
engine oil capacity- 0.59 litre at oil change
recommended engine oil- 10w-30 or 10w40(recommended)
drive chain slack-35-45mm
cold tire pressure-15psi

I hope this helps

Katy
Rapid Revolutions
780-455-7553

Just a note that those recommendations would be based upon the bike being used for its primary intentions - MX racing.

If you are only at the track riding occasionally, and riding trails and single track you normally will have a more forgiving maitenance schedule.

I believe someone else already mentioned it, but get a hour meter on the bike as soon as you can. Its simple to hook up and if you haven't used one in the past you will be surprised at how little you actually rack up engine hours.

As for any bike, after any good ride, with the weight off the wheels, release the air from the forks. Excessive air can lead to stiff shocks.

If you ever ride in really wet areas and manage to sink the bike, don't run it. Its not as easy of a job like a 2-stroke to simply drain and go again. You have filters to do with now.

I don't know about the 150, but some of the CRF's have a separate oil fill for the case and transmission. If you drain both (if yours has two) remember to fill both.

And for everything else CRF150R related.....go here...

CRF150 R/Expert - ThumperTalk

There will be lots of know it all's on there, but there is a wealth of info regarding your bike on there that is hard to find anywhere else all compiled on one thread.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BUY A GENIUNE HONDA SERVIS MANUAL OFF EBAY. I had one for my CR125R and it tells you EVERYTHING you need to do and tells you step by step how to do it.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As your bike can redline at 15 000 rpm, the little Honda Unicam engine can use oil at an alarming rate, use the honda engine oil that is in the silver bottle, it contains molly and is an extra lubricant. The smaller honda fourstrokes are notorius for using oil so check the level with the little dip stick every time you go to ride the bike, this includes after a break while doing a moto session. A pro/intermidate level racer can burn 100ml of oil an hour in a crf 250. I know cause that's me.:d:d
If you ride a four stroke like it's make to be ridden (a gear higher than a two stroke, and not rev the living ch!t out of it and only use the clutch to shift and start/stop, your engine/valves/clutch will last a long time, if you sream it like a two stroke and cluch the crap out of it, I hope you have rich parents and or are married to a mechanic and have bags of money... cause you'll go through valves and clutches like mad.....
YOur bike has two seperate oil cavities, one for the engine oil ( use a full snythetic on the engine side) and one for the tranmission (use oil designed for a motocross bike with a wet clutch). UNless you are a very good mechcanic do not even attempt to adjust your valves yourself, you will cause harm than good.
High octane pump gas is all your bike needs/requires. Unless you have installed a high compression piston or a aftermaket ignition, race gas or octane booster will do nothing for your bike and you will be wasting your money. Higher octane or leaded fuel will do nothing for your stock fourstroke engine.
I have been racing motocross since 1984, and have worked full time at a dealership for 10 years in parts, service and sales and have sold more motocross bikes than I care to tell. Although I think you have a very nice and cool bike, I will tell you that it is one of the most maitiance intesive mini bikes known to ever exist, have fun and keep it pinned, bbrrraaaappp
Try a forum call www.vitalmx.com, they have a tech forum where the top "experts" in northamerica lurk and help people out, snowandmud is a great site but does not hold a candle to this site as far a dirt/moto is concerned, be careful with some of the advise you take, anybody can post anything they want, weather its good or bad.......

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh year, air filters.....
Stock honda filters are pretty good, if you buy an aftermarket one get a twin air, they are well made and fit great. When cleaning your filter first clean quickley with gas( in a small bucket) then clean with soap and water and then rinse with water and air dry. ONce the filter is dry oil it up with good air filter oil, I have been using bel ray air fillter oil for 20 years and have never had a problem, put on enough to turn the filter blue but not so much that it is dripping off the filter and into your bike. once you have lots of oil on the filter put it back on its cage and run a good amout of grease on the lip of the filter where it touches your intake mouth of your air box, be sure to make sure you have seated the filler properly on the cage and it is fitted properly in you airbox and seals perfectly, you do not want to suck any dirt, especially on a four stroke, if you suffer a catastrophic failure expect to spend thousnds on repairs.

I have 4 airfilters, both of my bikes use the same filter, I constanly have both extra filters cleaned, oiled and in a big ziplock bag and in my gear bag so no matter what/ and were I am I can change the filter(s) so my bike alway is ridden with a clean fileter. Also get youself a box of plastic surgical gloves to wear while cleaning and installing the filers as the oil is sticky and brutal on your skin and a pain in the ass to clean off.
Make sure when taking out and intalling your filter that you do not knock any dirt into the air boot(inside). If you always use a clean well oiled filter, change your engine and tranny oil on a regular basis and adjust your chain to spec, your bike will run well and last for seasons..... good luck,
motocross is my life btw

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh year, air filters.....
Stock honda filters are pretty good, if you buy an aftermarket one get a twin air, they are well made and fit great. When cleaning your filter first clean quickley with gas( in a small bucket) then clean with soap and water and then rinse with water and air dry. ONce the filter is dry oil it up with good air filter oil, I have been using bel ray air fillter oil for 20 years and have never had a problem, put on enough to turn the filter blue but not so much that it is dripping off the filter and into your bike. once you have lots of oil on the filter put it back on its cage and run a good amout of grease on the lip of the filter where it touches your intake mouth of your air box, be sure to make sure you have seated the filler properly on the cage and it is fitted properly in you airbox and seals perfectly, you do not want to suck any dirt, especially on a four stroke, if you suffer a catastrophic failure expect to spend thousnds on repairs.

I have 4 airfilters, both of my bikes use the same filter, I constanly have both extra filters cleaned, oiled and in a big ziplock bag and in my gear bag so no matter what/ and were I am I can change the filter(s) so my bike alway is ridden with a clean fileter. Also get youself a box of plastic surgical gloves to wear while cleaning and installing the filers as the oil is sticky and brutal on your skin and a pain in the ass to clean off.
Make sure when taking out and intalling your filter that you do not knock any dirt into the air boot(inside). If you always use a clean well oiled filter, change your engine and tranny oil on a regular basis and adjust your chain to spec, your bike will run well and last for seasons..... good luck,
motocross is my life btw

this has always been a practice with our 2 strokes, i'm not completely out of the loop when it comes to maintaining bikes, just unfamiliar with the 4 strokes in particular, but it's still good to know ideas and advice from others..thanks guys

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well turns out my valves were a bit out of spec, and I got 2 really wobbly wheels..valves were done lastnight, starts first kick now, yay! mechanic thinks spokes weren't tightened properly causing the wobbliness, rims don't seem to be bent at all, so hopefully get that fixed up a bit... goin to wild bills today for the first ride!!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Learn the 4-stroke technique to start a flooded or overheated bike, or worse, both.

kill switch, Throttle open, decomp (if you have one), kick 5-10 times. Sometimes gas off helps better too. Then find TDC, and smooth, continuous full stroke. Try that a few times. If not, repeat.

Not sure how those bikes are to start when tipped over. I know my XR650R can be a bit of a pig (hehe) when tipped.

Top Bottom