High River Flooding

w3schultz

Reaction score
I am likely heading down to help in High River for a couple days. It really is a mess down there. If anyone else is interested there is a great Facebook set up by a couple of locals that gives lots of info. Search for " High River Flooding Victim/ Volunteer Matching". There are very few places to stay so that can be difficult for some.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am likely heading down to help in High River for a couple days. It really is a mess down there. If anyone else is interested there is a great Facebook set up by a couple of locals that gives lots of info. Search for " High River Flooding Victim/ Volunteer Matching". There are very few places to stay so that can be difficult for some.

Good on you for helping. There has been an incredible out pouring of help for that area. The place is indeed a mess and the good citizens of Alberta (and other places) have really pitched in to help out.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there Thursday and Friday volunteering. Words do not explain what has happened to this town. They are in desperate need of any and all help available. A lot of these people have lost everything including there homes which have now been comdemned due to structural issues. It's a disaster!! Until you see with your own eyes it is hard to believe can happen. My heart goes out to all involved. And thank you to all volunteers!!!

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there for 3 days and it is unreal the help people are give. And the damage that was happened is mind boogling ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373257753.581784.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373257784.843652.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373257811.540269.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373257841.123959.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373257860.663250.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373257769.870884.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373257769.870884.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 247

w3schultz

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. Does show some of the crazy stuff. I've heard of 81 year people hauling mud from their basement just hoping for more help. These people are so emotionally and physically drained. Pretty touch times for sure.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They need manpower as much as anything. I walked up to house on Friday and there was 70 yr old man standing at door.... I asked him if he needed hand he said sure we do, this is actually my dads house. I looked into door and a 91 yr old man was carrying a piece of carpet up stairs. He was covered head to toe in mud and sewage. No gloves, mask, or boots. Unbelievable. We went in and ripped all carpet and appliances out of his basement in complete darkness. We got all we could out and I felt awful but ran outta time. His neighbor called lds church as we were leaving and by noon Saturday his house was completely cleaned out!! Again anything helps. If anyone is coming in from outta town I live in okotoks and could put couple volunteers up if needed. They need generators, pumps, hoses etc.. But really need hands..

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The volunteers are amazing and make me proud to be Albertan . I took the day off Saturday from cleaning basements and cooked burgers and hot dogs for volunteers all day and can't say enough heart warming thank you's to the people helping. Everyone here is affected either directly or indirectly . It's a mess but we'll get through it.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The volunteers are amazing and make me proud to be Albertan . I took the day off Saturday from cleaning basements and cooked burgers and hot dogs for volunteers all day and can't say enough heart warming thank you's to the people helping. Everyone here is affected either directly or indirectly . It's a mess but we'll get through it.
How did you make out with your in laws Ron? Never heard back from you? Coming over with a group tomorrow to help out where we can.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hauled out 2 ft of silt out of the basement got hte furnace and water heater out . Electrician has been in and now in the drying stage. Ken appreciate you reaching out but we had a game plan and all happened quite quickly .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from High River and it is astonishing how much damage happened over there. Gives you a new appreciation for the power of a flood. Lots of peeps still need help. Will be back later this week.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went today with a group of guys from work. Carried soaked mattresses, couches and a rancid freezer along with other junk out of a basement. Continued to demo until down to studs. I thought I had smelled the worst things in the world already, I was wrong. I wish I would have taken more pictures, but work came first and I didnt want to touch or take my phone in the house. I threw out everything I was wearing(changed beside the house) other than the rubber boots I borrowed from work.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from High River and it is astonishing how much damage happened over there. Gives you a new appreciation for the power of a flood. Lots of peeps still need help. Will be back later this week.

I agree went there today I was speechless the news does not do it justice my bosses dad's and sisters houses have been gutted we went to see what machines we need to take to get the yards cleaned. It's going to take a long time to get high river sorted I feel for all the families there who have lost everything. It made me think that me being out of work for three weeks really is nothing compared to what these people are going through.

Top Bottom